- Text Size +
* * * * *

Naturally, the arrival of the SID Tactical Squad had rudely awakened the entire circus. And, just as naturally, they demanded to know what was going on. When none of the police officers would tell why Greta Gault was being questioned, however, the ringmaster had the resident dwarf clown (stage-named Thrombeldinar) do a little surreptitious eavesdropping underneath the harem dancer's trailer.

What the dwarf clown heard was startling to say the least.

"Greta captured one of the real Little People. And, according to him, our planet's been invaded by a whole army of them!"

"Are you sure about that?" asked Lee Noticias

Thrombeldinar crossed his heart with his right index finger while holding his left hand aloft. Adding how the SID were going on the offensive by having their track-and-attack dogs sniff out the invaders' encampment. Whereupon, the lovely widow returned to her own trailer and removed Fitzhugh from his hamster cage. Telling him everything she had just heard.

"Oh, my goodness! I have to warn them, somehow!" the reformed con man exclaimed: "That other Little Person obviously belongs to the same race as the armored malefactors you rescued me from. But, Inspector Kobic will never believe that. He'll shoot my friends first, and simply forego the questions!!"

"Well, I'd gladly warn them for you," declared Lee: "But, even if I were to leave right this second, carrying you for navigation, we'd never get past the main body of the search party unnoticed. Let alone the security cordon at the edge of the fairgrounds. That would take a miracle!"

"Would you settle for some sleight of hand?"

Lee, her daughters, and Fitzhugh all looked in the direction of the new voice.

"Inidu?!" they chorused.

The giant stage magician had once been framed for manslaughter by a jealous and impatient apprentice. But, the Spindrift cast-aways had helped him vindicate himself. Following which, he became a nightclub headliner, once more. Not being as young as he used to be, though, he semi-retired after a year, in order to find himself a new apprentice.

He decided on a child prodigy named Jodar, who had recently been adopted by Inidu's twin brother, Professor Kirmus...along with a female Little Person named Marna.

The latter was a beautiful blonde who had been raised from childhood by a team of giant scientists who had found her parents' derelict spacecraft. While Jodar's gift for biochemistry had helped him develop a size-altering drug that could turn Little People into giants! Now, however, the two of them were part of Inidu's circus act. Marna as the lovely magician's assistant; and Jodar as the eager child "volunteer" from the audience.

Realizing there was no time to voice aloud such a lengthy explanation, Inidu waved aside the inevitable questions in order to reveal what he had in mind.

"If Mr. Fitzhugh will kindly tell her where his friends are encamped, Marna can tell one of her uniquely trained turtledoves where to find it. And, thereby, deliver a written message to them on one of its legs!"

"In the dark? And, at this hour?!" exclaimed Fitzhugh, incredulously: "That bird would have to be part owl."

"That's where the unique training comes in," replied the old stage mage, with a wink and a smile.

tbc