- Text Size +
* * * * *

"Ladies and gentlemen? This is your chief flight attendant speaking! We will be arriving at Archavia Interstellar Spaceport in ten minutes. Please, put your bio-degradable trays into the recyclotrons next to you, and begin fastening your safety harnesses for the deceleration. We hope you enjoyed your flight home. And, we thank you for flying Imperial Spaceways in the first place!"

That little piece of corporate propaganda woke me up from the boredom-induced nap I had taken, soon after take-off. I got up and stretched the kinks out of my back and neck muscles. Then, I reached into the right inner pocket of my black leather jacket and removed a small flashlight.

Clicking it on, I checked my Grolex watch. The red LED numbers revealed that I had been asleep for five hours. Before I could grasp the enormity of how fast this spacecraft had been traveling, I fell on my keester. The result of the spacecraft slowing down!

Five minutes later, I could get up again. Only to fall down a second time as the purse was lifted up by my unwitting hostess! I was then jostled about with the rest of the contents as she walked off to whatever was the local equivalent of baggage claim.

After that, I heard lots of people (including my hostess) shouting: "Cabbie! Cabbie!"

"Yes, ma'am! Where to?"

She gave him some geopolitical coordinates that meant nothing to me. Following which, we were off.

Twenty minutes later, I felt us slow down. The cabbie quoted a figure when she asked what the fare was. And, realizing that she would next reach into the purse for the payment, I shrank myself down to one inch tall!

Just in time, too.

"Whew!" I thought to myself, as her fingers reascended with her wallet: "I've got to remember these people are natural-born giants, even when I'm normal human-sized."

Five minutes after that, I felt the purse being thrown through the air and landing on something bouncy. Most likely, my hostess' bed! Then, I heard a shrill beeping noise...which turned out to be the local equivalent of the telephone.

"Hello? Oh, hi, Sylvee! Yes, I just got in, this minute. No, it was the same old stuff. Well, can I help it if the Gruja kid behaves like anyone else's? It's not like she's Pryvani Whatserface! Alright, fine! I'll bring over the holocam flashdrive after I get everything squared away. See you, then."

"Gruja?" I thought to myself.

Then, I remembered. That was the surname of the boarding school girl who had bought Paula Drake! Evidently, my hostess was some kind of paparazzo (or, is that "mamarazzo?"). And, she had been following the youngster around getting surreptitious photographs...or holographs...or whatever.

Fifteen minutes later (by which point I had resumed my normal human size), I heard my hostess call for another cab. I then felt the purse lifted once more. Three minutes after that, I heard her get in the cab and tell the driver her destination.

"PLANETARY CHRONICLE, please."

tbc