- Text Size +
THE PLANET ARCHAVIA
(RAY VENN'S P.O.V.)

* * * * *

As Pryvanni's aerial limousine continued along, my stomach started growling. And the smiles that appeared on her and Niall Freeman's faces made me feel the heat of mine blushing.

"Sorry! I might be your size, right now. But, my biological clock is still on Earth time. And, it's been quite a while since that interrupted meal Paula and I had back atop the Eiffel Tower!"

"In that case," Pryvanni replied (quite graciously): "...why don't we all go grab a bite to eat? I know this wonderful little place that just opened up. Some of my friends have eaten there, and they just rave about the house specialty. A dish that's supposed to make all your dreams come true!"

Naturally, that got my attention.

"That establishement wouldn't be called the Wishbone Restaurant, by any chance; would it?"

Her lower draw dropped with astonishment.

"Why, yes! How did you know?"

I answered her with a second question.

"And the proprietor's first name. Is it Stanley?"

She nodded, vigorously: "Yes! Stanley Wishbone, in fact."

I had had a hunch. You see, among all the parallel-Earths of the multiverse, there are only two restaurateurs who make wishes come true. One of them is named Stanley Charm. The other is his counterpart, Stanley Wishbone. But, where the latter owns an interdimensional chain of stationary restaurants, that serve Wishbone specials, the former owns just one dimension-hopping restaurant! And rumor had it that a mysterious entity (called Mr. G) had personally brokered an agreement between them.

Stanley Charm's restaurant would never travel to wear Stanley Wishbone had a branch eatery. And, vice-versa.

The aerial limo pulled to a stop in front of the aforementioned restaurant. Whereupon, the chauffeur took it into a nearby parking garage a hundred times as tall as the Empire State Building! Meanwhile, upon entering the restaurant, Pryvanni was immediately accosted by the most fawning head waiter I had ever seen.

"Oh! Ms. Tarsuss! This is, indeed, quite an honor for us. Normally, we require reservations for this time of day. But, for you and your entourage, I'm sure we can find some vacancy."

"Why, thank you..."

She gave a quick look at the guy's lapel pin.

"...Oskeesah. That would be most appreciated."

Sure enough; within five Earth-minutes, we were seated in a semi-private dining room on the second floor of the restaurant. It was only when he handed me a menu that Oskeesah's smile turned upside-down. I had no doubt it was because he had finally gotten a good look at my black leather jacket and its matching accessories. I'd often received similar looks of disapproval from other head waiters back in NYC.

But, in Oskeesah's case, it was too late. I had been allowed in as an acquaintance of Pryvanni's. And, he couldn't throw me out without giving himself an economic black-eye!

"And, your order, 'sir' ?" he now asked me (stressing the last part with as much disdain as he could subtly get away with).

"The Wishbone Special, please," I replied.

"I'll have the same," added Pryvanni.

"Very good, madam. Will your pet be dining off your scraps?"

Oskeesah pointed to Niall Freeman. And, boy, did the temperature suddenly drop in that place! Fortunately, however, Pryvanni was quick to cut off any verbal attempt by Freeman to warm it back up (like the reactor at Chernobyl)!

"He's not _my_ pet! I'm just minding him for a friend. But, yes, we'll split my Wishbone Special."

"Very good, madam."

Our specials arrived twenty Earth-minutes later. It took us an additional fifteen minutes to consume them, until only the wishbones, themselves, were left. Whereupon, I explained what she had to do next. With Niall Freeman helping to show her. And, naturally, it was no contest. She got the bigger half of the bone when they pulled it apart. Yet, once again being gracious, she gave it to him and let him make a wish.

I don't know which of them was more startled when the wish came true. But, me? I fell off my chair laughing as Oskeesah suddenly appeared before us wearing a string bikini! With Niall Freeman joining in once Oskeesah saw his reflection in the glass water pitcher, screamed at the top of his lungs, and then ran for the employees' locker room.

Once I was too exhausted to laugh anymore, I decided to break my wishbone.

tbc