- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Semi-needless reminder: Ray Venn is my intellectual property. Most of the other characters and concepts are the brain children of Johnny Scribe, DX Machina, Mr. G, et al.*


*And, timescribe, don't you dare ask me, "Who's Al?"
* * * * *

STILL RAY VENN"S P.O.V.

Pryvani Tarsuss, it turned out, was to Archavia what Madonna Ciccone and Angelina Jolie were to Earth. Namely, a female pop icon whose physical looks often caused her rivals to underestimate her business acumen. Such being the case, she had an equally large number of friends. One of whom was Bruno Gruja. The father of Lihsah Gruja; that college girl who had "bought" Paula Drake back on Titan Station.

And, whose life I had saved from that sizevamp.

Thankfully, that part of my back story had already been told to Ms. Tarsuss by the young lady concerned. The rest of it had been relayed to Dr. Freeman by my new friend, Captain Lavrem of Imperial Security, via the brother of Dr. Freeman's current hostess, Naskia Bass.

Now, it was my turn for some information.

"Evil GTS-goddesses can be impulsive, at times. But, when they team up, they usually have a deadly serious ulterior motive. So, Rose Crusher must have some method behind her mad rush to abduct Paula!"

"Granted," replied Freeman (from his scapulan perch): "But, you're obviously more acquainted with these women than I am. You tell _me_ what that could be."

I ignored his somewhat pompous demand as I was already pondering that very question while I got dressed into my freshly cleaned and sterilized Earth clothes. Being careful to keep a white opaque screen between myself and Ms. Tarsuss, as I did so!

[Titans might be more advanced than Earthlings. But, their medical gowns are still just as erroneously labeled "One size fits all."]

Then, the proverbial light bulb went on.

"She told me when we first met that she was a quantum physicist. Was she working on anything in particular at that French think tank?"

"As a matter of fact, yeah," replied the self-proclaimed Einstein of Ireland: "She wanted me to collaborate with her on a new project. Specifically; the usage of my cold fusion reactor in the generation of an artificial wormhole!"

That announcement stunned both me and Ms. Tarsuss.

"Had the two of you met with any kind of success at the time of your abduction?"

"On a small scale," he reluctantly admitted: "We managed to generate a wormhole about a foot in diameter. Just wide enough for a white rat to enter it from his cage, in one room...and emerge into a cage full of cheese, in another room, three doors down the hall."

That light bulb was starting to glow a little brighter.

"Assuming she one day realized her ambition, of being able to generate one a lot more massive, what was her long-range plan for such wormholes?"

Freeman shrugged: "What else? To make interstellar space flight a reality. In this case, by allowing a nuclear-powered spaceship to reach, say, Alpha Centauri as easily as you or I might walk through a revolving door! Of course, there were times I kidded her about using such an analogy. Half-seriously asking her if she'd gotten the idea from that LOST IN SPACE episode where Sean McClory played a Scottish ghost!! But,.."

I tuned out the rest of his techno-babble as my light bulb suddenly reached blinding brilliance. Because what he had just described to me was nothing less than a rudimentary form of what Sizeloans called...

...a crosstime warp.

tbc