- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
RAY VENN'S P.O.V.
* * * * *

As I trudged along, through the sewer tunnel, I tried to keep my mind off my fatigue by recalling that Sizeloan TV special.

It was December 31, 2001. Mom, Dad, and I were gathered around the television set in the living room of our doll house (which is based in the Statue of Liberty's torch eight months out of the year), preparing to watch "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve." While Ed was already asleep in his aviary. You see, he was only half-grown, then, and still having nightmares about the opportunistic herring gulls I had just barely rescued him from at Mystery Hill, New Hampshire, the previous fall.

Anyway, just as the eleven o'clock news was ending, a different face came on the TV screen than the one we had been expecting. A face belonging to Sizeloa's most annoying game show host... "Perky Pat" Answer!

"SCBS (the Sizeloan Commonwealth Broadcasting System) brings you live, from the 26th Century, a variety special like no other. It's...WHEN GTS-GODDESSES GO WILD! Celebrating the four hundred and sixteenth anniversary of the GTS/SW War Armistice. And here, to start things off with a rather appropriate number, are those sensational songstresses. the Mice Girls, with their own rendition of... THE YEAR 2525!* "

"In the year 2525, if man is still alive.
If woman can survive, they may fiiiiiiiiiiind..."

"What the frig is going on here???" my dad had bellowed: "What's that idiot talking about; 'GTS/SW War?' Lina, did you hear anything about such a war?"

Mom shook her head. As did I, when he turned to look at me. Then, just before Dad could say anything else, some kind of commotion started occurring on TV.

"I don't believe it!" Perky Pat was shouting: "Tina! Are you seeing what I'm seeing?"

A woman (whose caption identified her as "Tina, Mini-goddess") replied:

"Unfortunately, yes I can, Pat. What should have been a marvelous, celebratory occasion has just been ruined by the unwanted intrusion of some rotten EGG's! That's 'Evil GTS-Goddesses,' for those of you not up on your 21st century slang. And, apparently, these particular rotten EGG's still bear a grudge against the victorious mini-goddesses!"

"I especially recognize that one, at lower left center. It's Bubla! The renegade ex-Morpher-turned-GTS-goddess. She's flinging her bio-electric lightning bolts around like there's no tomorrow. Indeed; there will--quite literally--be no tomorrow, for any of the Mice Girls' mortal fans, if any of them gets hit with one of those..."

"Look out, Tina!!!"

KA-ZAP!

It wasn't until the first anniversary of my permanent exile that I learned that Tina the mini-goddess was a time traveler. So, she had dodged that lightning bolt thrown at her by merely traveling back to just one second _before_ the surprise attack had begun. And, then, fast-forwarding to one second _after_ the near-miss!

As for what Bubla had to do with a sizevamp being on Archavia? That still mystified me. But, I was too tired, right then, to figure it all out. According to the geographic stuff I had looked up, via the campus library at TGU, an Archavian day was somewhat chronologically longer than an Earthling day. Which means, had I still been on Earth, I would probably now be getting ready for bed!

Where to sleep down here, though?

As if in answer to that unasked question, I suddenly found a ladder in the middle of the tunnel. A ladder leading up to street-level! Not to mention, a man-hole cover. I wasn't worried, though. I simply climbed up the ladder at my present giant-size. Then, using Archavia's lighter gravity to my advantage, I leaped upward toward one of the small holes in that metallic cover. Simultaneously shrinking my height as I did so!

It worked. I managed to get enough of my upper torso through the aforementioned opening that I was able to pull the rest of my body on top of that man-hole cover. And, that...

...is where I blacked out.

When I reawoke, I found myself on a smooth, transparent surface. So, I slowly stood back up and looked around. I was obviously in a jar of some kind! Yet, who had found me? And where had he/she/they brought me?

The first question was answered--almost on cue--by the giantess who suddenly leaned down and began tapping on the glass of the jar to get my attention.

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
*IN THE YEAR 2525: copyright 1969 (RCA Records). Rick Evans, composer.