- Text Size +

Marisol was sitting in class perfectly keen and aware of all her surroundings as the docile student should be in the middle of class, not talking, books, textbooks, etc. all ready in proper place. A stark contrast to the rest of the students who were chatting away with each other until the teacher arrived, especially considering it was 1:00 p.m. the last class of the day on a Friday, so everyone was ready to start their weekend already. Marisol was the role-model student to the smallest detail, never late, near straight A's in all classes in Freshmen and Sophomore year until now where the Biology class she was in attendance she could only make a B + at her best effort on her last report card. That 92 haunting her so often where she needed 1 simple point to get an A.

Finally the teacher Ms. Linley walked into the classroom, she was one of the more popular teachers at the school and not for her rather attractive good looks with consisted of short, shoulder length blonde hair that slightly framed her face, sparkly blue eyes, and fairly large bust, but she was legitimately a very good teacher to where hardly any students could question her teaching methods.

" Good afternoon." Marisol sported one of her award-winning smiles, she had a habit of always greeting all of her teachers out of courtesy and respect, and the other students simply stopped chatting and turned to pay attention.

" Good afternoon class, since I know most of you are looking forward to Spring Break I decided to be a jackass and make today the day where I assign the teams for your collaborative scientific research presentation so you wouldn't skip class today." She joked which prompted a few chuckles from a couple of students. Before Ms. Linley continued Marisol raised her hand, and she acknowledged her student to ask her question.

" About that, do you mind if I could work alone?" Marisol, wasn't particularly keen on team assignments, she usually preferred to work on all her assignments alone and found working with a group of people to slow her down and be a pure nuisance if she was paired with a slacker who couldn't keep up and pull their own weight. That remark also provoked the responses of a few students sucking their teeth at Marisol's uppity behavior.

It's not that Marisol was an unpopular student, she was pretty well-received by nearly all her peers she was always bubbly, perky, and happy to be alive. Always dressed in vibrant and bright clothing with a cross necklace worn around her neck. She was born into a very religious Christian family and she made her number one priority to act accordingly, despite the temptations of peer pressure and every act that a good lot of high school students commit that would be considered sinful, ranging from partying, promiscuous behavior, lying, etc. All these factors made it difficult for other students to get very close to her without her going into some sort of moralistic speech, which gets very overbearing. A definite shame to guys as well who tried to make moves on her since many found Marisol quite attractive with long, flowing bright brown hair, near glowing hazel eyes, slim body, and lovely C-Cup breasts.

" No, Marisol in a professional environment you're going to have to get accustomed to working with a wide variety of people and managing your schedules appropriately. Be happy it's only one other student rather than 3-4." Ms. Linley put an end to that ambition and now Marisol would have to cope with whoever she was put with.

" Yes mam." She responded, even she couldn't mask the minor tone of irritation.

" Now without further ado, I'll display the teams. When you've located your partner please move together, then for the rest of the class you can coordinate who will do what. Once you feel comfortable enough you are dismissed." Linley instructed, and walked to press a button on a touchscreen mounted on the back wall then the projector came down with a full list of each student and their partner.

In a matter of seconds all the students began to shuffle about and started talking with their partners while Marisol was still searching for her and partner, but temporarily breaking her focus the classroom door opened and another student came in.

" You're late Van, this is the fourth consecutive time this week you may stay after school for detention." Ms. Linley instructed at Van who merely raised an eyebrow at her.

" Oh really? Here I thought you'd be impressed that I even showed up at all, well if it wasn't for this project I probably wouldn't." He shrugged before looking at the monitor. Van Fischer was a notorious student who transferred this school year, he stood 5'10 and wearing a gray plaid shirt and black jeans to match, with a beanie covering his short dark brown hair.

Marisol lost her focus entirely and couldn't keep her eyes off of Van or better known as his last name Fischer, seeing him waltz in several minutes after class started, making smart-alec remarks to the teacher, and wearing a hat inside the school.

" The nerve of some people." She huffed under her breath. Marisol had heard several stories about Fischer and while she wasn't quick to buy into rumors put out she can verify several of the stories put out. Fischer was constantly late to class, skipped , hung around school after hours, smoked , and even had sex on school ground. It's bad enough that premarital intercourse was against her religion but on school ground as well was a total desecration in her book.

" Huh, oh wonderful I would get paired with little miss sunshine." Fischer sarcastically remarked, and Marisol came back to Earth to check the screen to see what he was talking about. In an instantaneous reaction her jaw dropped.

" What . .why am I paired with Van!!? He's so . . . so . . so!" Marisol was at a loss for words and got out of her seat to protest the teacher's partner pairing.

" Maybe you should form a hypothesis on your inability to complete sentences. ? " Fischer chimed in and Marisol could feel her blood starting to boil, whether it's intentional or not Fischer gets under people's skin big time, with his indifferent attitude, non-stop sarcasm, rude behavior, and flat out coldness to fellow students without a second thought. But Marisol had a particular loathing towards him, he especially gets under her skin, through her blood, and right into the bone marrow.

" Come on now, Van has an A+ and you have a pretty high grade in this class too. Perhaps you two can learn something from one another." Ms. Linley suggested, Fischer remained silent and Marisol sighed and responded with a simple " I know . . ."

That was mainly to the part of Fischer having an A+ in the class, for all of his negatively received tendencies you would think he'd have grades to reflect it, but no. If we're talking grades alone he was good, excellent actually even receiving higher grades than Marisol by the slimmest of margins and earning an A in the one class Marisol earned a B. Ever since Fischer transferred by a stroke of misfortune in Marisol's mind, he found his way into all her classes and managed to perform better on every homework assignment, test, anything.

" Anyways, I'll find you after class or something later." Fischer spoke to Marisol who was still too flustered to speak and walked right out of the classroom. To say she was irritated would be too kind, she hated being treated like some sort of nuisance.

In response Marisol just slumped right back in chair her chair and lifted up her cross necklace and leaned, pressing her forehead onto it. " God please tell me, why me?"

Chapter End Notes:

Keep in mind, I do not consider everyone who is religious to act this way and I don't mean any offense to anyones religious affiliations.