- Text Size +
* * * * *

"Imagine me undergoing that ritual in my dreams, every night, for nearly a month, Jay. And, imagine my acquiescent response time getting shorter and shorter. In other words; imagine me falling deeper and deeper under this giantess' (for lack of a better term) spell."

"Until, on the twenty-ninth night, 'Mistress Bonnie Sue' was satisfied that I neither could nor would fight the compulsion any longer."

" 'Very good, little one. Now, that your compliance training is complete, you will be released. You will spend one more night here, in Knudop. Then, tomorrow, you will be taken to the state police barracks near Cranston. There, you will board an Air National Guard helicopter that will take you back to O'Hare International Airport in Chicago. Upon returning to the East Coast, you will go back to your place of employment and start associating with the people whose names are on this list.' "

"Whereupon, she showed me an 8x12 piece of white paper that, from my shrunken perspective, looked more like a Times Square billboard. Before I could read it with any serious effort, however, Mistress Bonnie Sue's image suddenly wavered, then disappeared."

"Like a cable TV losing power in the middle of a storm!"

"The next thing I know, I'm back in the giant birdcage covered with chicken-wire. Only, everything around me is shaking like a major California earthquake!"

" 'W-W-W-W-W-What the f-f-f-f-f-frig...?' I involuntarily exclaimed aloud."

"Suddenly, the shaking stopped. Only to be replaced by the sound of a car door slamming. But, louder than any car door I've ever heard slam before."

" 'Oh, frig! Where is he?' "

"That inquiry was made by a decidely (yet totally unfamiliar) female voice. It was followed by another exceptionally loud opening-and-closing of a car door. And, the female voice demanded if the new arrival had taken care of the night watchman."

" 'Yeah!' replied a male voice: 'He's zip-tied and gagged on that cot in the office, with a big lump on his head. Can I get going, now?' "

"With that, I heard an engine start up, and the three of us were moving."

" 'How's the little guy?' the male voice asked."

"I felt the bird cage being lifted up. And, that's when I got my first look at my abductors."

"The white guy doing the driving had silver hair and wore a set of black cover-alls that made him resemble a ninja. All that was missing was the ski mask-like hood!"

"His passenger, who was holding the birdcage aloft, was a lovely, and much younger, African-American woman. Maybe in her late twenties/early thirties. Wearing a white blouse beneath a red blazer; and complemented by the hair style that used to be known as 'the Jackie O Look.' "

" 'He looks dazed. But, otherwise, unharmed. Physically, anyway!' "

" 'Wh-Who...are you...people?' I somehow managed to ask."

" 'My name's Gina,' replied the woman: 'Gina Martin. Special investigator for the FCC. This is Randy Batchelor. He's...' "

" 'I was a FAG during the Vietnam War,' he interrupted her with a grin."

"If his intention was to completely snap me out of my daze, with that statement, it worked."

" 'You were what???"

"A forward air guide. The radioman who called in for air strikes, on enemy targets, after preliminary ground-level reconnaisance by a SpecOps* commando team.' "

" 'Oh.' "

" 'Nowadays, though, I run a pirate radio station. And, that's how I first stumbled across the alien operation that took you captive.' "

" 'Alien?!' I echoed: 'You mean...?' "

"Gina Martin nodded: 'I didn't believe it either, at first, Professor. But, Lamont County, Illinois, is ground zero for a plot by invaders from outer space. And, you're among the ones they've been infecting...for almost thirty-five years!' "

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
*SpecOps: Special Operations (the USAF equivalent of Special Forces). Originally known as "Air Commandos."