- Text Size +
Saito's body fell to the carpet, face-first. And, almost immediately, a pool of blood began to flow from where his nose was buried. But, then, a strange thing happened.

A thin stream of that blood began trickling its way towards me!

Consequently, I sprang to my feet and began backing away from it. Although, as I did so, that blood suddenly began to...well, I don't want to use the word "evaporate." The word "implode" would probably be more accurate, as both sides of that trickle seem to collapse in on themselves!

At the same time that was happening, something began to grow--and grow--and grow--and grow. Nor did it stop growing until it was about two feet long. And I couldn't help gasping.

Because, the thing in the middle of all that blood-stained carpeting was the same thing I had seen in the X-ray picture of Reggie Saito's spinal column!

Now, one of the first thing's my Uncle Jiro had taught me about ninjitsu is that you should never react out of anger or fear. If you have to use lethal force, at all, calculate your killing in advance. But, this thing, rearing its metallic-looking head in my direction? It aroused some kind of instinctive disgust in me. Consequently, I whipped out a tanto knife from the left inner pocket of my gray blazer...

...and stabbed that thing right in its head. Impaling it to the carpet!

It started thrashing and convulsing, almost right away. With some kind of electrical light show occurring at the same instant. That, in turn, naturally distracted everyone else in the room.

Except for my cousin, that is.

Sam used that opportunity to throw his Super-ball at the side of George True Axe's head. The impact dazing the misguided Menominee just long enough for Sam to charge towards the office desk and barrel-roll over it. When he landed behind it, he did so in a half-crouch. Just low enough for him to deliver a right-handed punch to George's stomach. Followed by an upward thrust of his left hand's palm to George's jaw!

"Chief True Axe?" inquired a feminine voice from the fallen receiver: "Chief?"

Sam carefully placed it back on the cradle, after putting George across his back like a sack of flour. He then tossed the Colt M-1911 towards me.

"I'm going to have my hands full with him," he said, as I made a right-handed catch: "Cornell? Pick up those batons. We still need them as evidence. The same thing goes for that overgrown silverfish! Chet; think you can carry it under your blazer for now?"

I nodded, and did as requested.

Ten seconds later, we hot-footed it out--and piled in--to the Kia Sorrento. All while screaming at the half-puzzled driver to burn rubber out of there! He did so. But, almost instantly, we were being pursued by a small fleet of black-and-white Jeep Grand Cherokees behind us.

Not to mention, three giant majorettes balletically leaping along on either side of us.

* * * * *

LEBARON UNIVERSITY,
WAKE COUNTY, N.C.
(PRESENT DAY)

JASON GRANT'S POV

I shook off the involuntary vision. Instinctively sensing that it had probably lasted no longer than ten seconds, in real time, at most. I then looked, once more, at these four young, honey-blonde women (who were virtually identical to each other) standing before me.

"My apologies, ladies," I improvised: "I didn't mean to stare. It's just that I didn't know the school now had majorettes."

"They didn't," said one of the near-quadruplets: "Not until they recently integrated the rhythmic gymnastics team into the marching band. We're the Baronettes. And, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Dr. Grant."

My posture became slightly more rigid at the use of my name.

"I'm sorry. Do I know you?"

The other three smiled as their spokeswoman replied:

"Please, don't prevaricate. It belittles you in our eyes!"

I could not chuckling a little ruefully.

"An ironic choice of words. Don't you think?"

"Perhaps," she countered: "But, you can avoid it becoming more than figurative if you'll surrender yourself--and Professor Gambol's manuscript--peacefully and immediately."

"Decisions; decisions," I sarcastically muttered.

tbc