- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
BROTHERTOWN RESERVATION,
CALUMET COUNTY, WISCONSIN
(AUGUST 1, 2014)
* * * * *

STILL CHET NORTHFIELD'S P.O.V.

I turned away from the windows and knelt down before Saito.

"OK," I said: "I finally get it. That nano-cyborg, or whatever you call it, allows you to revive him at the press of a button. So, who are you...and what do you want?"

Instantly, Saito stopped laughing and looked me straight in the eye. Then, he replied (in a voice that sounded like every female member of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir talking at once):

"We represent the Governing Council of the Commonwealth of United Planets. A group of non-terrestrial races who have not had a major military conflict, between our member worlds, in over one thousand of your years. Can the races of your home world say as much?"

"Unfortunately, no. So, I repeat my second question; what do you want?"

"With regard to our long-term plans? To put the governments of your world on a short leash. To unify them, as it were, under a matriarchal system of leadership. Of course, _any_ major shift in power takes time to properly enact. So, in the short term? Each of your world's nation-states will be quarantined from all the others. With general administration handled by our baton-twirling overseers..."

Saito's head briefly tilted to his left. Towards the giantesses loitering outside, and grinning down at all the Native Americans ogling them.

"...while day-to-day policies will be implemented by the military and police forces under our control."

I couldn't help snorting in mild disbelief.

"You talk as if you've already brainwashed them all. Which I kind of doubt, seeing as how the reservation cops would've had us in handcuffs, ten seconds after we entered this office, otherwise!"

"This is true," Saito's puppet masters replied: "We have not sewn up _every_ pocket of potential resistance, as yet. Hence, our use of Sergeant Major Rodriguez as what you would call...a 'Trojan horse.' "

A chill went down my spine as I heard that.

"Ramrod was implanted with one of those things, right from the start. Wasn't he? Which means his wife and kid were never in danger, at all! Were they?"

"That is correct, Mr. Northfield. It was, therefore, his inside knowledge that allowed the Seki-shi Gakuenettes (those young ladies from Japan) to invade CPS, Inc. on our behalf. As a sort of reconnaissance-in-force! To see how resourceful such independent factions might be. We are embarrassed to admit that you've exceeded our initial expectations. Managing to make off, as you did, with the two batons you 'confiscated' from our local Los Angeles Overseers."

"You mean, Alana and her Cahuenga High co-captain."

"Correct. So, please, surrender them (and yourselves), now. Without further delay!"

"And, if we don't...?" I argued, trying to stall for time.

The answer I got came from a totally unexpected quarter.

"This is Chief True Axe. Get me the rez police!"

Sam immediately lunged forward to try and slap his hand down on the cradle of the phone! But, George had anticipated that, and had whipped out an old Colt M-1911 from his top desk drawer.

"Get back," he commanded, as he used the barrel to wave Sam away from him.

"George!" my cousin exclaimed: "Are you crazy? You heard him--them--whatever! They plan to..."

"They plan to correct centuries of social injustice perpetrated by high-powered idiots like the ones in D.C." the old Menominee statesman replied: "And, maybe if I hand you guys over to them, they'll go easier on my people. Shit! They might even abolish the reservation system, once and for all!!"

"Hitler had a non-aggression treaty with Stalin at the start of World War II," Cornell (I mean, Titus Armitage) reminded him: "You think these E.T.'s will honor any such promise any better?"

"The Bearcat majorettes are not harming anyone," Saito's puppet masters reminded us: "They are simply standing around, at parade rest! The only ones who seem to be bothered by that are y..."

That did it. Sam's brother-in-law, or not, I'd had enough of this guy. So, one right-legged snap kick later, I'd broken his nose with the sole of my shoe. Thereby, shutting him up.

Permanently.

tbc