- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
CHET NORTHFIELD'S POV
* * * * *

As it turned out, the escape tunnel led directly into the storm drain system of Los Angeles. And the get-away car turned out to be a John Deere TH 6x4 Gator. A six-wheeled ATV that basically resembles a cross between an army-surplus M274 Mechanical Mule and an even older Amphicat!*

Monk sat in the driver's seat, while the rest of us sat in the cargo compartment. Armitage and I facing Sam and Saito, who had been blindfolded using a backwards ninja hood. And all of us wearing those big yellow ear mufflers more commonly used by airport runway guides (a.k.a. "monbacks"). In hindsight, that was sort of ironic, as we ultimately exited from the storm drain system (via a remote-controlled wire mesh gate) into a secret basement just below the hangar where CPS, Inc. kept their company jet! A Cessna Citation, to be precise.

"Can either of you handle one of these?" Monk now asked us.

He pointed to a couple of ultra-light aircraft. Basically, a cross between a go-cart and a hang glider, which are things I had mastered, separately, during my college freshman years. As for Sam? He had flown Lockheed YO-3A's, once or twice, back in Vietnam. So, these would be child's play for him!

Whereupon, Monk resumed his instructions.

"This ramp will lead you up to the main entrance. Once you're airborne, head for these co-ordinates."

He showed us a map of Needles, California. Simultaneously putting his right index finger to his lips while nodding at the backward-hooded Saito. And we nodded back in understanding. Following which, we strapped ourselves and Saito in. A Bluetooth-equipped helmet for each of us. But, only three pairs of goggles needing to be issued to us.

Two minutes later, we were airborne. Each of our ultra-lights flying well below the level at which traffic news helicopters usually flew. Yet, still high enough that we had a pretty good view of the ground below us. Including any cellphone and electric power supply towers that might might obstruct our flight path!

It was at this point that Monk contacted us via the Blueteeth.

"Bertha-boy to Coop Flyers. Bertha-boy to Coop Flyers. Just beep once, in acknowledgement, if you can hear me."

Sam and I each said "beep" into our respective microphones. So, Monk continued.

"When you reach your destination, you are to go to our local hangar. Tell the resident chopper pilot on duty that you wish immediate airlift, for all four of you, to East Oshkosh. Repeat: East Oshkosh! He'll know what it means and respond accordingly. This is Bertha-boy...signing off."

Needless to say, I was puzzled. When I was a little kid, the name "East Oshkosh" had been a generic term of derision (used by city-slickers like me) for any small American town in the middle of nowhere. Obviously, it had another connotation for the employees of CPS, Inc. But, what could it be?

* * * * *

LEBARON UNIVERSITY,
WAKE COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA
(PRESENT DAY)

JASON GRANT'S POV

The jumble of mental images I received, while psychometrizing the pad on which Ken Gambol had written down Chet Northfield's name, were nearly overpowering. Apparently, Ken had meant to return this reporter's phone call. But, his trip to the Midwest had caused him to get side-tracked (which was, admittedly, putting it mildly).

Even so, my retrocognitive vision made it clear that contacting this guy, Northfield, was crucial. Unfortunately, just as I was picking up the phone to call the operator for California information, I was interrupted by a female voice from the office doorway.

And, standing in that doorway? Four young women in long-sleeved black leotards...and carrying silver batons with white knobs.

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
*ATV: All-Terrain Vehicle.

Mechanical Mule: a slow-moving cargo carrier originally intended to replace the more famous Jeep. One such was used (in tandem with a remote-controlled bulldozer) in the 1980's sci-fi film "Maximum Overdrive."

Amphicat: a six-wheeled "dune buggy" once manufactured by Mobility Unlimited of Canada. And formerly popularized by the Banana Splits on their old Saturday morning TV show, back in the Sixties!

YO-3A: a motorized glider, with three-bladed propeller, used for stealth reconnaissance, by the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War.