- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
CHET NORTHFIELD'S POINT OF VIEW.
* * * * *

Colonel Barker decided that we should independently help the cops check out the source of that remote-controlled flying saucer. So, after getting into the pick-up and surreptitiously driving away from that storm drain, we headed for the motel where Barker and his two fellow ex-Green Berets had booked rooms. It was in Barker's room where he gave me a laptop and told me to start googling.

And I did.

I began my research under science fiction movie memorabilia. Confining the search parameters to the specific title of the aforementioned Corman/Harryhausen classic. And, as luck would have it? I found an abstract mentioning something about "commemorative models!"

It turns out that some outfit called Gray Fox Novelties had made a deal with Tanaka Toys (makers of the original RC saucers for "Invasion of the Baton Twirlers From Outer Space") to come out with functioning replicas of same on every tenth anniversary of the film! Ergo; there had been mass marketings in 1989, 1999, and 2009. All of them, just in time for Christmas.

"Anyway to check on which Miami department store bought the most, each of those years?" asked Ramrod.

"THE NATIONAL INTELLIGENCER has a stringer in Lantana, Florida, who might be able to find out for me," I replied: "Let me try to get him on his cellphone."

Two minutes later, I was talking to M. B. Dexter-Ross. Once, a foreign correspondent for the BBC. Now, a British Virgin Islands expatriate-turned-naturalized Floridian citizen. Mostly, in an effort to dodge a small army of process servers, hired by paternity suit litigators, back in Ye Olde Country!

"Dex? It's Chet. Yes, it's good to hear your voice, too. Listen, can you do me a favor?"

Whereupon, I gave him a highly edited version of my needs. Passing it off as an investigation into movie memorabilia counterfeiting.

"Good Lord!" he exclaimed: "Is nothing sacred out in Hollywood, anymore?"

"You know the old showbiz saying: 'In God we trust. All others pay cash.' "

"I thought that was the Golden Rule of Wall Street?"

"No, you're thinking of: 'He who owns the most gold makes the rules.' "

"Ah, yes! Quite right. Very well, dear boy. I shall call you back, anon."

"What's that in Pacific Standard Time?" I quipped.

"I believe it's pronounced 'When-EV-er!' "

No sooner had I laughingly signed off than my cellphone beeped that I had someone else on "call-waiting." So, I immediately went to caller-ID.

It was my cousin Sam.

"Hey, Cuz! Wassup?"

To which he replied: "First off? Skip the Ebonics. You suck at it! Secondly? I can only describe it as a minor miracle. But, Meriwether has grudgingly agreed to let you meet Stone. The latter, of course, will be accompanied by his bodyguard. My beauteous flesh-and-blood; Naomi!"

"When and where's the meet?"

"Have you ever heard of...Giant Rock Airport?"

"Yeah! Somewhere near Needles, isn't it?"

"Bingo! A Learjet will touch down there at 10:50 PM, your time. Cornell and I can fly you there, from Santa Monica, in our chopper. Is that copacetic, with you?"

"Sounds like a plan. But, I might have some guests."

"Hey!" he quipped as he signed off: "The more, the merrier. Right?"

"Theoretically," I muttered, under my breath.

tbc