- Text Size +
* * * * *

As it turns out, M.A.C.H.O. had already been notified.

The uniformed cops I had spoken to at the halfway house (where I had explained away the fight as walking in on some relapsed junkie-sneak thieves) had, in turn, contacted LAPD Robbery/Homicide. More specifically; Detective Sergeant Lori Dillinger and her partner, Paco "Wallop" Fernandez. And, in questioning other witnesses at the scene, they learned of Bob Katzman having returned from grocery shopping just minutes before my own arrival.

They also learned that no one had seen him since. Yet, at the same time, there was no forensic evidence of conventional abduction. Spur of the moment, or otherwise! So, as M.A.C.H.O.'s duly appointed local police liaison, Lori alerted them to a possible shrink-napping.

Hence, their relatively prompt arrival at the dojo. And, after recounting the true story for what felt like the hundredth time, Lori glared at me.

"You're lucky, Mr. Northfield. If not for the obviously unusual circumstances, I'd be obliged to arrest you (and do so, quite gladly) for fleeing the scene of a crime with a material witness!"

"Well, if it's any consolation, Sergeant, I might be able to provide you with a lead."

She crossed her arms: "That being...?"

"While waiting for you, I suddenly remembered something. This past summer, at the San Diego Comicon, a special raffle was held. The number of the winning ticket was picked, and read aloud, by Emily Zaccaroni. The now-retired actress who starred in 'Invasion of the Baton Twirlers From Outer Space!' And, the prize claimed by the lucky ticket holder was one of the RC saucers from that film."

Lori shrugged: "So?"

"Those things are rare pieces of movie memorabilia! So, if you and partner know any purveyors of such, you might want to see if any more such saucers recently came on the market."

"We'll take that under advisement, Northfield," Fernandez now snapped: "We'll also be taking Mr. Katzman into protective custody. Pursuant to M.A.C.H.O.'s regulations!"

Little Bob looked up at me, and I nodded back to him in reassurance. It was only after being certain that all three of them were gone that I turned to Sam and Aunt Connie and told them that I was off to investigate the other lead.

"Call us when you get there," Sam replied.

"Will do."

And, with that, I was off to Cahuenga High School in the San Fernando Valley.

You see, while we were waiting for Lori and Fernandez to arrive, I had asked Little Bob who, exactly, had told him that rumor about the Aeroflot crash.

"Felipe Alvarez. He'd gone to Cahuenga High School to hook up with an old homeboy who had recently transferred there after getting a perfect score on some TAG test.* And, just as they were about to light up a joint in some scrub brush, they heard somebody coming! It turned out to be a group of Junior ROTC cadets, gabbing away. And, it was one of them they overheard mention that Russian jetliner and a silver meteorite."

Admittedly, it wasn't much, by itself. But, then, I remembered something else. Emily Zaccaroni had learned the baton twirling she'd employed, in IOTBTFOS, as a majorette in that school! So, I decided I would interview the military officer in charge of that Junior ROTC unit. On what pretext, though, I had not yet decided. In fact, I was still trying to decide, ninety minutes later, when my VW Thing got rear-ended...

...by a Ford Econoliner full of black-booted majorettes wearing mini-skirted uniforms in the black-and-white colors of Cahuenga High School.

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
*TAG: Talented And Gifted.