- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
WATANABE DOJO,
TARZANA, CALIF.
* * * * *

After retiring from the U.S. Army Air Corps, my cousin-- Samuru Watanabe--went into business with an ex-marine aviator named Cornell Brown. The two of them operating a naval surplus H-46 Sea Knight as an air bus for tourists wanting to visit Catalina Island. And, when time permitted in between charters, he worked as a part-time instructor at the martial arts school founded by his parents.

He was now present. Standing to his mother's left, behind the office desk, while I stood to the right and unveiled my passenger. And he had the good manners to wait till I had finished my version of events before actually scoffing.

"A ray gun?!"

"I don't know what else to call it," I retorted: "This isn't exactly a piece of dollhouse furniture!"

I now showed them the shrunken grandfather clock. With my Aunt Connie picking it up, in her left hand, for closer examination.

"During the Cold War, the M.O.C. often used Solution 62, in gaseous form, against high-priority targets of interest.* This beam of light you describe might simply be a high-tech offshoot of same. A shrink gas-powered laser!"

"And the flying saucer?"

"A remote-controlled model aircraft," ventured Sam: "Like the ones used in Naomi's favorite flick."

He was referring to "Invasion of the Baton Twirlers From Outer Space." The only known collaboration between Roger Corman and Ray Harryhausen and, therefore, a cult-classic. One that Sam's daughter had insisted I bring over a videotape cassette of, every time I babysat her during her single-digit years!

It was during this involuntary reminiscence that something began to mentally nag at me. But, before I could do any deep thinking on it, I was distracted by a sigh from the desk top.

It was Little Bob, waking up. And, the instant he locked eyes on all three of us, Aunt Connie was quick to adopt a reassuring smile.

"Welcome back to the Land of the Living, Mr. Katzman."

"Madre de Dios!" he exclaimed: "Am I trippin'? Did them perras slip me some LSD after zappin' me with a stun gun?"

She replied in the negative, before recounting what I had seen and done. When she had finished, she asked him for his side of things. That is; the chain of events leading up to his shrinkage.

"Th-Th-There's not much to tell," he initially stammered: "I had just come back from buying some groceries. And, just as I'm turnin' around, from puttin' some potato chips away on the top shelf of one of my cupboards, I see these three mujeres standin' behind me! Each of them dressed like a friggin' ninja. And, just as I'm about to ask who they are, I get kicked in the cajones!!"

Sam involuntarily chuckled, earning himself a glower from Little Bob. I prevented any arguments, however, by quickly asking him if any of them had asked him anything.

"As a matter of fact, yeah! The one who appeared to be leader wanted to know where I'd heard about the Aeroflot crash and the silver meteorite. And when I told her and her friends to go frig themselves, she got this real cold look in her eyes. That's when she did it."

"She reached over her shoulder to some kind of quiver. You know; the back pack that archers, like Robin Hood, carry their arrows around in? Only it wasn't an arrow she pointed at me. It was a baton! Like the kind used by marching band majorettes!!"

The rest of us looked at each other, in puzzlement, before looking back at him. I pressed him on that last part, asking him if he was sure.

"Frig, yeah, I'm sure!" he declared: "Because that's the friggin' thing she used to zap me! Like the business end of an electric cattle prod."

So, I looked back at Aunt Connie.

"You'd better call Uncle Jiro and have him get in touch with M.A.C.H.O."

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
* M.O.C. (Miniscule Operations Command): the Federal predecessor of M.A.C.H.O.

Perra: feminine pronounciation of "perro" (Spanish for "dog").

M.A.C.H.O. (Multi-Agency Counter-Homunculist Organization).