- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Dr. Jason Grant continues reading from the manuscript of Professor Kenneth Gambol.
* * * * *

"I don't how long I was out, Jay. But, when I regained consciousness, I found myself in what looked like a terrarium. Minus the dirt, rocks, and plants! Furthermore, I seemed to have been slightly re-enlarged, as I saw that I was virtually straight-jacketed by a burlap pouch. Only my head sticking out above where the drawstring had pulled the mouth of it shut."

"And I know there's no such thing as man-made pouches less than an inch tall!"

"I then noticed something else. One of the glass panels of the terrarium seemed to have been tinted extra opaque. Why, I didn't know. Not right then, anyway! It quickly became obvious, though, that I didn't have a monopoly on such a place of detention. There were dozens of others, occupying long wooden shelves, above and below me. And, the same thing applied to the wall across the room from my terrarium!"

"That's when I heard the voice."

" 'So! You're awake at last.' "

"I whipped to my head to my left. And standing there, looking at me, from a pouch identical to mine, was a slightly younger man with blue eyes and wavy black hair. He introduced himself as Steven Hughes of the Defense Intelligence Agency. And, I reciprocated with my name and occupation."

"At the risk of sounding immodest, I was not surprised he had heard of me. I probably qualify for the GUINNESS BOOK OF WORLD RECORDS, what with the number of FOIA requests I've made, to the DOD, looking for uncensored proof that Uncle Sam has known about the extra-terrestrial origin of UFO's since the summer of 1947!* "

"Indeed, Agent Hughes must have been thinking along the same lines, at that exact moment. Because, he remarked how I had finally vindicated myself, the hard way."

" 'It's just too bad,' he had added: '...that you probably won't live to disclose your findings.' "

" 'Where are we?' I deigned to ask the obvious."

"He shook his head: 'I don't know, specifically. They refer to it as 'Mars Hall.' But, the ones who really run this place are from a lot farther away than that. The ones who captured me mentioned something about 'the Pleiades!!' "

" 'And what, exactly, are the ones who run this place going to do to us?' "

" 'Some kind of brainwashing process,' " he replied: 'The guy who occupied that waterless aquarium before you had already succumbed when I first got here! Keeping him naked beneath a pouch, just like ours. Not letting him eat anything but fried banana chips. And not giving him anything else to wash it down with except water!' "

" 'Banana chips and water?' I had echoed: 'How the frig are we supposed to get rid of the fecal matter from that if we're kept as incessantly straight-jacketed as he evidently was?' "

" 'Wait and see,' he replied. Using his head to point towards the darkened glass panel."

"I quickly saw what meant. As if on cue, the latter revealed itself to be giant flat-screen TV! Or, at least, giant from my current size. When the picture came into focus, four baton twirlers wearing sleevless silver leotards and pom-pom adorned go-go boots were introducing themselves as the Silver Cyclones. Hosts of a Twirlercise franchise telecast from Dover High School in Ohio!"

"Then, my flatscreen was activated. Revealing the star of Twirlercise from Cranston, Illinois; Hannah Barber."

" 'Good morning, Lamont County!' she cheerfully proclaimed: "And helping me get you in shape, today, are the captain and feature twirler of the Cranston High School Darlings, respectively. Justine and Eloise Chautard!' "

" 'Hello,' they chanted in unison: 'Why don't we get started with some easy sit-ups?' "

"And to my horrified surprise, Jay (as hard as I tried to fight it)? I wound up doing those sit-ups!!!"

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
*FOIA: Freedom Of Information Act.

P.S.---for the story from Steve Hughes' p.o.v., see A "TINY" MIX-UP IN THE MAIL.