- Text Size +
* * * * *

"We drove along in silence for what must have been a good half-hour, Jay. With Gina keeping the headlights off so Celia could navigate via the infra-red telescopic sight that Randy had loaned us at the...last moment."

" 'I won't be needing it,' he had said: 'Those troopers are bound to have that front yard of yours lit up like the Fourth of July!' "

"He had tried to say it, jokingly. But, I think he knew he wasn't going to be able to catch up to us. In any event, the silence was finally broken when Gina returned to on-road travel just across the Macon County line."

" 'Where do we go, now?' "

" 'Head for Decatur,' replied Celia: 'We can take U.S. 51 to Champaign, via the concurrency with I-72. Then, change to I-74, crossing the Indiana state line via Iroquois County."

" 'Why Indiana?' I asked."

" 'I have an old friend at the Bowling Green/Ball State Universities Annex, in Union City, who might be able to help us. But, the first thing we should do, when we get to Decatur, is trade this Jeep Liberty in for another, less conspicuous 4-wheel drive vehicle. It won't take the authorities long to find out I owned it, in addition to a station wagon!' "

"So, that's what we ended up doing. At 12:30 P.M., the next day, we traded the Jeep Liberty for something more appropriate to our situation."

"A Ford Escape."

"We spent the rest of the day driving east-by-southeast until we finally reached Iroquois County and the town of Onarga, Illinois. By that point, however, the sun was pretty low in the sky. And, even though they had spelled each other at the steering wheel, as often as possible, both these ladies were exhausted. Physically, mentally, and emotionally. So, we stopped at the only major motel this side of the Illinois/Indiana boundary; the Long House Motor Lodge."

"Gina signed both of them in, as Celia was busy trying to keep that Colt .45 Centennial firmly lodged in her blazer's left inside pocket. Not to mention me, next door, in the right inside pocket!"

"Nor did she withdraw either one of us, until Gina had closed and latched the motel room door and closed the curtains."

" 'So, what happens now?' asked Gina: "Are you gonna call your friend from here?' "

" 'Yes. But, I'll use the room phone, as my cellphone would give off too many risky pings' "

" 'What about the pings I might be giving off?' I objected (from the top of the dresser): 'The state troopers found us once through me. They might..."

"But, Celia was quick to interrupt me."

" 'No, you're on my frequency now! You see, not only can I periodically cut _myself_ off, from their hive mind. But, to a more limited extent, similarly infected others, as well! Though, only when those others are in my immediate vicinity.' "

"She might have gone on explaining, except my stomach began growling with a volume that was at least _doubly_ proportionate to my current height! Naturally making me blush, while my two benefactresses giggled."

"This compelled Gina to volunteer and go look for some fast-food restaurant with a take-out window."

" 'And, while I'm doing that,' she added: '...you can call that friend of yours.' "

"Celia nodded in agreement, giving Gina forty dollars towards the food. Then, as soon as the latter was out the door, she got on the phone. Dialing the number for the long-distance operator. And, when the operator came on the line, Celia asked to make a person-to-person call to Union City, Indiana. Her party's name?"

"Robert Howard Phillips; lieutenant general, U.S. Army (Ret.)!"

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
Special note: I corrected some geographical errors. My apologies to all my loyal lurkers in Illinois.