- Text Size +
* * * * *

"Upon seeing my incredulous reaction to this news, on my face, Celia explained herself. It seems that, during the late 1960's, she and her boyfriend (like a lot of other Vietnam War protesters) hid out in Canada to avoid the draft. In their particular case, they had become members of a truck-farming commune in British Columbia. Growing strawberries, sugar beets...and 'medicinal' marijuana."

"The commune's biggest customer, for the latter crop, was the Vancouver branch of the Earth Tiger Tong.* And, when Celia and her boyfriend were arrested during an RCMP drug sting, the tong was apparently not willing to take the risk they wouldn't turn 'Queen's evidence' (as they called it up there, at the time)."

"Consequently, an attempt was made to kill both of them...and only half-successful."

" 'Upon being deported back to the States, I was put into a unique kind of witness protection,' she continued: 'I was forced to work for a top-secret arm of the CIA that was more or less experimenting with the same kind of process that was used on you, Professor!' "

"I instinctively shook my head, not daring to believe I had heard right. Yet, she smiled and nodded."

" 'It's true! You are _not_ the first shrunken man, I've ever seen!! That honor belongs to a certain foreign correspondent who was shrunken by a certain pair of KGB operatives, in Saigon, circa 1973. And, whom I was subsequently trained (by an honest-to-God ninja, no less) to bodyguard!!!"

" 'Alas! That partnership only lasted five years. After which, I was relegated to re-training as an electronic intelligence gatherer, specializing in 'pre-emptive decryption' of computer data. In other words; a hacker! In any case, when I retired in 1990, I was transferred to Cranston High School, here in Illinois, where they set me up as a teacher of computer science. A job that I more recently retired from back in 2000.' "

" 'And, which might be the reason I was abducted by these beings less than two months ago.' "

"According to her, Jay, she was driving home from the Lamont County Cineplex, one night, when her station wagon came sputtering to a halt. It was only after leaving the vehicle, and opening the hood of the engine, that it happened."

"An aircraft shaped like a beehive, atop a rotating saucer-like disc, came hovering over her, about twenty feet off the ground. And, with the dome-like roof of the hive glowing like a swarm of fireflies!"

"A second later, she got zapped by a pencil-thin beam of white light,...and lost consciousness. When she revived, she was alarmed to see a couple of giant-sized women gazing down at her, with grinning faces. Young women, whom she immediately recognized."

" 'It was Elaine Choutard, and her fraternal twin sister Justine! I had met them during half-time of an Alumni Day football game, back in the fall!! The two of them having just finished performing with the marching band: Elaine, as feature twirler; and Justine, as captain of the majorette line.' "

" 'Naturally, my subsequent inquiries were semi-coherent, at best. So, they told me (in perfect unison, too) to just calm down and let my nano-parasite explain everything. Before I could say 'nano-what,' it hit me. The biggest headache I have ever had in my life! Followed by a vision of something straight out of a Lovecraftian's nightmare.' "

" 'Imagine, Professor Gambol, seeing something that resembles a cross between a centipede and an armadillo crawling up the left nostril of _your_ nose. And, then, spreading all up and down your spinal column...like some kind of mutant tapeworm!' "

" 'That's what had happened to me, while I was unconscious. And, in a somewhat more humane fashion? That's what's happened to you."

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
* See "LITTLE" KNOWN SECRETS