- Text Size +
* * * * *

It was at this point that Ken Gambol's manuscript became like a spy thriller.

"The increased acceleration forced me to support myself by sitting down on the floor of the birdcage and holding on to the bars for dear life!"

"It was while I was concentrating on doing this that I had my 'waking dream.' Suddenly, I was no longer looking at the wall of bars opposite me. But, rather, I was looking out the front windshield of one car chasing another motor vehicle. The physical appearance of the latter becoming increasingy familiar as we got closer to it. And, yes, I said 'we.' Because, it suddenly occurred to me what was happening."

"I was observing this high speed chase through the eyes of one of the Illinois state troopers!"

"This was confirmed a moment later, when I saw the white tailgate of the vehicle ahead of us slam open and downward. Revealing Randy Batchelor aiming what I initially thought were Uzi submachine guns at us! Uzis that apparently had infra-red targeting beams, as I could see random threads of crimson whenever we passed through a stray cloud of night mist from agricultural duck ponds."

"The trooper at the steering wheel did his best to throw off Randy's aim (having evidently seen them as well). But, in the end, Randy started firing, and clouding up the windshield. Though, not with broken glass!"

" 'He's pelting us with paint balls!' I heard the driver exclaim."

" 'Quick!' yelled his partner: 'Turn on the windshield wipers.' "

"Naturally, that only made the situation worse. So, the partner rolled down the 'shotgun-side' window and climbed half way out, in order to try and wipe the paint off by hand. Only to come back in, two seconds later, yelling for him to discontinue pursuit."

" 'IT'S BLACK STUCCO PAINT!' "

"Before the driver could put on the brakes, however, there were two loud 'bangs' as both front tires blew out."

"The next thing I knew, after that, I was back in the bird cage. And, Randy was yelling to Gina through the sliding glass panel that made up half the rear windshield of the pickup's cab."

" 'I bought us some time. But, not much. My Tippman's are out of paint. And, I've got to save on the carbine's live ammo. We'll also need to change cars! So, head for the Spinster's place.' "

" 'You got it,' replied Gina."

" 'The Spinster?' I echoed in puzzlement."

" 'Cecilia Finster, a.k.a. 'Finster the Spinster,' Randy explained: 'She's a retired computer teacher from Cranston High. She never married, so local tongue-waggers have speculated that she's a lesbian who never came out of the closet. And that, in turn, has made her a bit of a recluse in retaliation.' "

"I ceased asking questions for the rest of that ride. When we got to Ms. Finster's farm, Randy put a strange-looking whistle to his lips and blew through it."

" 'Quack! Quack!' "

" 'A duck call for a recognition signal?' I exclaimed: 'Seriously?' "

" Gina shrugged: 'Beats giving away our position by flashing Morse code with the head lights. At least, according to Randy.' "

"As it turned out, she was right. Because, from the direction of what I presume was the front porch, a female voice (slightly older-sounding than Gina's) called out to us to show ourselves. So, Gina slowly exited the cab of the pickup, raising the bird cage high above her head. Allowing me to get a glimpse of a white woman in her mid-sixties aiming a Savage Arms Model 550 hammerless double-barrel at us!"

" 'Cecilia?' said Randy: 'Meet Professor Kenneth Gambol.' "

"Our hostess proved quite handy with household tools. Removing the padlock on the bird cage door by fitting a Phillips-head screwdriver through the little arch way. And, then, pulling the blade of it towards her by using the claws of a hammer like a crowbar!"

" 'Thank you, Ms. Finster,' were the first words that came out of my mouth as I exited the bird cage (which had been placed atop her kitchen table)."

" 'You can thank me by calling me 'Celia.' It's a lot prettier sounding than 'Spinster!' "

"She looked at Randy, as she said this. Like a high school teacher glaring reprovingly at an overly rambunctious student! And, all that was missing from Randy's "who-me" facial expression was a cartoon halo over his head."

" 'So!' she now added: 'From the looks of you, you fell into the local trap, too.' "

"I shrugged, with a lop-sided grin. Then, something came back to me."

" 'Gina said something about an alien conspiracy going back about thirty-five years?' "

"Celia nodded: 'And, I'm the one who clued her and Randy in on it!' "


tbc
Chapter End Notes:
There might not be much shrinkage over the next two or three chapters. So, if that's your sole criterion for leaving chapter-by-chapter reviews?

"Thou hast been well and fairly warned!" ;-)