- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Wow we've reached chapter twenty and I'm nowhere near done.

Trials Chapter 20: Partners

                Dawn and Cassandra walked casually through the forest’s underbrush. The birds where singing , the flowers were blooming, and streams of light shined through the canopy. This was the forest at it’s best; the beauty of nature with just a small hint of danger that made it exciting.

                “Do you know where we’re going?” Dawn asked Cass. They had been traveling for a least an hour and Dawn was starting to wonder why they were traveling at such a casual pace.

                “We’re heading towards the center of the forest to the shrine of Celeste.”  Cassandra replied.

                “Doesn’t everyone know about that one?” Dawn commented. “Someone will get their ahead of us.’

                “I’m betting a lot will be there before us.” Cass smiled.

                “I’m sorry mistress but you’ve lost me?”

                “It’s pretty simple actually.” Cassandra continued. “There are over twenty of us and the Queen said that only eight can move onto the next round right?”

                Dawn just nodded trying to follow.

                “The queen wants us to think it’s a race but it’s really a battle royal.”

                “What?’ Dawn asked surprised.

                “Multiple groups are going to gather at these shrines and fight it out for the statues.’ She leaned in closer to Dawn. “And once they’ve tired themselves out we’ll swoop in and grab the statue before they can recover.”

                Dawn was shocked. As she looked up at Cassandra she couldn’t believe she had put that all together so early on. She had never seen this side of her before. It kind of turned her own.

                “You’re a genius, Mistress.” She admired

                “I try.” She laughed as the two continued their casual pace toward the shrine of Celeste.

 

                Alaster blazed his way through the forest. He was a one man battering ram. Nothing hindered his wild charge through the thick trees. Lemere just followed behind as the northerner bludgeoned another tree down with his hammer. Sometimes his strength surprised even her. She like most amazons considered men weak not just physically but usually spiritually as well.  Alaster and most men from the north defied those stereotypes. His strength rivaled some amazons and his endurance was on par with anyone. In truth she actually preferred smaller guys. Alaster was a handful to control sometimes and his masogeny got annoying on occasion but she did like how independent he was, she didn’t have to worry about him like most amazons did about their partners.He blasted through a large boulder with ease continuing his wild march through the forest. They were headed towards the shrine of Volsta. It was easily the farthest away right on the borders near the desert. The idea was that most would head their as a last resort due to the distance and the fact that it was a particularly dangerous housing the most fierce creatures and of course they would also be trespassing. None of this mattered to Alaster of course. He figured none of these “women” would have the stones to try so if they could get their fast enough this trial would be over in less than a few hours.

                Lemere had some ideas of her own but she couldn’t exactly argue with his simple logic. It was the most dangerous path. She knew that any other team that chose this route would be going far slower and more cautiously. At the pace they were making they were probably already miles ahead.

 

                Dora held the badge in her hand looking at the bird emblem etched on the front. She could swear she’d seen it somewhere before but she couldn’t exactly place where. She also didn’t know how it could possibly help her investigation.

                “You figure it out yet?” Dixie asked hugging Doratea to her.

                “Not yet.” She said leaning back. She loved sitting in Dixie’s lap surrounded by her warmth. She sighed for a moment watch the birds fly by just content to be. They were currently sitting at the top of a tree high above the forest canopy. From this vantage point they could see the entirety of the forest. Dora noticed a particular area was full of commotion as trees fell and all sorts of creatures fled that general direction.

                “Have you decided which one yet?” Dixie asked after a moment. She was referring to the shrines.

                “Does it matter?” Dora replied. This challenge was surprisingly easy for them. She immediately guessed this challenges true intention. Being a guardian Doratea knew the forest better than anyone and she doubted any of the competitors could be a challenge for Dixie alone. “I thought it best we give some of the younger ones a chance.”

                “You shouldn’t underestimate them Dora.” Dixie noted. “There are some pretty tough warriors this year.”

                “Yes I suppose.” She murmured her thoughts drifting back towards the badge. She knew she had seen it before. She scrunched her face moaning in frustration.

                “Isn’t that the badge Ramsey was wearing?” Dixie asked.

                Dora sat up in surprise. She felt like an idiot. How had she missed it? The scout had one of these badges pinned on his chest this morning, he was also wearing it at dinner that night.

                “The Soldier.” She seethed. “He’s connected to this somehow?” she raised from Dixie’s lap.

                “You’ve decided which one we’re going to?” Dixie questioned. She looked at Dora worried. She could see the anger on her face.

                “Whichever one Kiri chooses.” She said barely controlling the rage in her voice.

                “Dora control yourself.”

                “NO!” she shouted. “I swear if that human has gotten Kiri mixed up in something!”

                “I’m sure you’re overeacting.” Dixie rubbed Dora’s shoulders trying to calm her down. “You’ve met him, did he look like a bad guy to you. Don’t you trust Kiri to pick a decent partner?”

                “We’ll find out soon enough.” She said. “I’ll ask him personally and if I don’t like what I hear I’ll kill him myself.”  Both amazons jumped off the tree and into the forest below.

 

 

                For once Ramsey was confident. He kneeled down catching his breath smiling despite the pain he was in. When Kiri first proposed the plan he was deadest against it but he couldn’t argue with results. He looked at the field before him. Three pairs we on the ground in considerably worse shape than he was. The idea was to get to the Celeste shrine first and get out without anyone noticing but other teams had the idea too and it had become an all-race. They had arrived second just as the first pair had finished the ritual prayer. He looked over to Kiri who had the statue hefted over her shoulder. It was solid rock and the size a man. It was clearly made this way to hamper the amazon partner as much as possible. He doubted a human would even be able to lift it. He walked to her past a large black scorch mark that scarred the forest floor.

                “How did you do that?” Ramsey questioned.

                “You’re not the only one whose been training.” She answered. She smiled taking in a breath. She wasn’t sure about using one of Celina’s technique’s so early but she had to try it out at some point and it was better sooner than later.

                “We should hurry.” She said. “It won’t be long before another team shows up. “

                “I afraid it’s already too late for that.”

                Both turned to face two women approaching. Ramsey recognized one of them as Dawn the powerful elf magician. The other must have been her partner a blonde amazon dressed in blue’s similar to Kiri’s sister Blue eyes.

                “What did I tell you Dawn?” Cassandra laughed gesturing towards the half dozen warriors in different stages of incapacitation. “Most of them have been cleared out.” The two walked into the clearing to join Ramsey and Kiri. “You to do some fine work.”

                Kiri immediately took a defensive stance throwing the statue over a her shoulder and taking a combat stance. Ramsey not to be outdone immediately drew his sword and did the same.

“This doesn’t have to be violent.” Cassandra stated. “Just hand over the statue and we’ll be on our way.”

Ramsey was worried. He knew from the arena how powerful Dawn’s magic was and the amazon she was with looked pretty scary and was a full head taller than Kiri. He looked at Kiri she wasn’t breathing heavy like he was but she had broken a sweat. He wasn’t sure they could handle a skirmish with these two so quickly after a battle.

“Maybe we could find another shrine.” He suggested. “There are eight of them.”

“Not a chance.” Kiri dismissed. “We fought for this one and I’m not won’t give it up so easily.”

Cassandra sighed. “Have it your way, but I warn you we aren’t gonna go down as easy as these chumps.” She gestured all around her at the knocked out combatants. Suddenly one of the amazon’s was on her feet. She was tall and thin and looked to be a teenager. She rushed Dawn grabbing her arms and binding them behind her back.

                “Mistress, I seem to have been captured.” She squeaked embarrassed.

                Cassandra casually turned towards her partner not at all worried for her safety.

                “Listen kid.” She addressed the young amazon. “I know how you must be feeling. It’s your first games and in the first round you get knocked out early.” She took a step forward and the amazon immediately hopped backward. “Easy kiddo no one’s gonna hurt you.” She raised her hand casually beckoning her to calm down. “I just saying it I know it sucks.”

                “You don’t know anything.” The amazon said she pulled Dawn a little closer and tightened her grip causing Dawn to shriek in pain. “I’m in control here.”

                Cassandra face instantly hardened. “It wouldn’t be very smart to push this any further.” She said in a tone that did nothing to hide her murderous intent.”

                “Don’t worry Mistress it doesn’t really hurt.” Dawn reassured. In truth the grip was rather tight but not uncomfortable.

                The young amazon turned toward Kiri. “You hand over the statue or I’ll,” she paused for a moment thinking of a legitimate threat. “Or I’ll break her arms.” She yanked Dawn a little causing her squirm in an attempt to appear serious.

                “You’re kidding right.” Kiri raised an eyebrow. She turned to Ramsey. “Hurry up we’re leaving.” she ordered. As soon as she took a step a knife flew out of nowhere appearing at the bottom of her feet. She turned toward Cassandra but it appeared as if she hadn’t even moved.  She looked around some more trying to find the source of the knife and cautiously took another step. Suddenly another knife flew past nearly missing her left leg and slicing a tear in her suit.

                “I’ll be with you in a minute.” Cassandra said. She raised her robe revealing a whole row of sharp serrated knives of differing lengths. “Dawn are you sure you’re okay?”

                “I’m fine Mistress.” She nodded.  “I’d escape but without the use of my hands I don’t really know any spells that won’t kill her.” This caused her young captor to shake a little.

                “I’m fine with that.” Cass stated.

                Dawn blushed. “Mistress I can’t do that. She’s just a confused kid.”

                “Stop talking about me like I’m not here.” The amazon barked.

                Cassandra took in a breath. “Look kid.”

                “Juniper!” she yelled.

                “Juniper.” Cassandra corrected. “That’s a nice name.” She took another step and this time the younger amazon didn’t move. “ You must realize by now that you’ve made a mistake. It’s totally understandable you were excited and made a rash decision.”

                “I-I know what I’m doing.” She argued not wanting to admit to the fact that she had backed herself into a corner.

                “Let her go now and there won’t be any hard feelings.” She assured in a gentle tone. “Hell I’ll even buy you a drink.”

                Juniper was starting to panic. She hadn’t thought this through. She only knew she had to do something. She didn’t want to go home an embarrassment. She looked toward her partner. A thief named Krell. He was short and dirty and turned over seemingly out cold.

                “Krell wake up!” she shouted. This seemed to gain a reaction as the man slowly picked himself up off the ground.

                Ramsey looked over at the man something seemed familiar about him. He hadn’t gotten a look earlier but now he took in the man’s face. He had a skinny face with high cheekbones and a nose that jutted out like a beak. Suddenly he remembered a briefing and an old mission he had all but forgotten about. He was one of the men that raided Squall Harbor. What was he doing partnered to and amazon? The man stumbled over to Juniper and immediately fell to the ground once more.

                “It seems are captives were pretty useless this year.” Cassandra laughed. Suddenly a knife flew through the air pining the man to the ground. He screamed in reaction and tried to pull himself but the knife wouldn’t budge. “There’s only one way out of this.” She stated.

                Juniper was terrified by this point. She could only respond with mutters as tears started flowing down her face.

                “Mistress you scared her.” Dawn said and suddenly her hands were free as Juniper collapsed into a weeping mess next to her “partner” who was still struggling with the knife. Dawn looked at the girl and felt sorry for her. “Hey it’s okay.” She comforted.

                Cassandra walked over and pulled the girl to her feet. “A word of advice Juniper.” She pointed towards Krell. “Don’t use a partner they try and supply you with at a temple. Either have the guts to go it alone or find someone you really trust.” She hugged Dawn to her rubbing her head with the other hand. “Besides your way too young for this.”

                “I just wanted to prove myself.” She said. “I didn’t think I’d win but I didn’t-“ She broke down again.

                “Everyone has their first time I guess.” Cassandra remarked.

                “This has all been really touching.” Kiri snarked. “But if we’re done here?”

                “Oh right!” Cassandra smirked. “Now we can get to the fun.” She took of her top cloak revealing her battle robes. She unsheathed a knife walking towards them. Dawn was by her having recovered herself.

                “Are we to engage them?” She asked. Cass nodded in confirmation and Dawn raised a hand in response. Suddenly light emanated from it and a staff appeared in her grasp as if out of thin air.

                KIri dropped the statue. It hit the floor with a loud thud. “Ramsey to my side!” she ordered. The soldier quickly went to join his partner.

                Ramsey could feel the heat in his chest rise as he held his blade. He looked to Kiri who was equally excited. He could see the mark beginning to appear on her skin. It was clear that a battle was about to start.

                Suddenly a loud thumping could be heard approaching their way. All four looked towards the origin of the noise. Suddenly a figure came rushing out the trees flying into the air. It landed between them kicking up dust. Kiri could feel a tingle in the air that was dangerous yet somehow familiar.

                The dust settled and Kiri was made to shutter. Standing before them was Dixie, on her shoulder stood Doratea face filled with rage and killing intent.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Wow things are heating up now. The next chapter should be very exciting. I started this story thinking it would only be twenty chapters long but I've reache my goal and it's still not finished. Part of me wants to stop here and continue in Trials part two but the other part wants a complete story with an ending even if it becomes to daunting with excessive chapters. I don't know, comment is you have an opinion on this. Or you know just comment for no reason at all it all helps.