- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

For anyone who is even reading this here is the second chapter.

 

 

Trials Chapter 2: Found

The night was not a kind one to Ramsey. The local plants he thought were rasper were in fact the incredible dangerous and significantly more toxic Angel’s hair fiber plant. This resulted in him spending an entire night in one of the worst fits of vomiting he experienced since he was dared to drink an entire keg of dread water at the academy. The only thing better than spending a whole night in crippling agony and continuous vomiting is when you partner it with constant psychosis inducing hallucinations that shatter your hold on reality. The visions were the worst part as he sat there writhing on the cold forest ground he would have waking nightmares of yellow eyes staring at him through the darkness. He would see monsters coming for him and devouring his body only to wake in a cold sweat and realize he never went to sleep. Then it started to rain. A cold harsh rain that seemed to fight him throughout the night, just when he thought he had found a brief respite between pain and delusion lightning would flash and the storm would pour down all the fiercer.

By morning Ramsey was a wreck. A piteous shell of himself the day before cold, soaked, and huddled in fear prone to impromptu spasms of dry-heaving. The only silver lining was that the rain had finally stopped leaving the clearing draped in a thick mist that sparkled in the morning sun. Ramsey for his part did his best to try and recover from his night before. He managed to stand for the first time in hours and even clean himself up as much as possible. While the pain from the Angel’s hair had tempered to mild cramping the hallucinations remained and would for some time. He saw fairies dancing in the morning dew and the Queen herself having tea with dragons.

“I’m insane.” He said to himself as the visions played out before him. He repeated the phrase over and over as the visions continued. He saw children floating in the air and growing horns and wings, he saw the earth split open and swallow the children in a torrent of flame, he saw the Queen embracing a man he recognized as his commander before they morphed into a two headed serpent that devoured itself, a giant rage beast erupting from the background brandishing it’s long serrated horn and stamping it’s feet. For some reason the last one seemed the most real. Ramsey rubbed his eyes trying to physically banish the visions from his head but they persisted. It was strange he could even smell the rage beast as it lumbered ever closer eyes wild and filled with murderous intent. The stench of blood and pine assaulted his nostrils and caused him to spit up in the back of his throat. He was losing it half sane and starved Ramsey had finally had enough. He knew he was going to die and this was the death he was looking for real or illusion he would have his moment. He drew his sword.

Time stood still as Ramsey and his illusion circled each other in the clearing. Ramsey clumsily brandishing his blade which was more an oversized fillet knife while the rage beast growled and snarled attempting to intimidate. Then it charged. A smart man would have simply jumped out the way as rage beasts are predictable and only charge in straight lines Ramsey however was bold and just as wild as his aggressor. He charged the beast sword in hand and yelling with vigor equal to it. As they rushed towards each other Ramsey lost his footing stumbling just before there clash. This resulted in the beast rushing over him and completely trampling his right arm. The scream that followed was loud enough to scare the birds that were spectating in the trees around them. He scraped himself up off the ground the pain sobering him from the effects of the Angel’s hair. As he tried to regain his footing he noticed the visions again shadows lurking in the trees and he knew something was watching him.

“How much of this is real?” he thought to himself the reality of the rage beast made him question all of his delusions and the reality of the rage beast was staring him down once again. He reached for his blade managing to barely lift it in his mangled sword arm. He braced himself against the trunk of a tree waiting for the beast’s next attack. The beast seemed to sense his trepidation and for a moment Ramsey would swear he saw it smirk. It charged faster and more savage then he thought possible. “So this is how it ends.” He chuckled. He closed his eyes bracing himself for the inevitable and the last thing he heard was beasts sickening roar.

For a moment all was quiet in the forest. Ramsey lay still with his eyes shut. Nothing was happening. No pain, no blood, no entrails being spewed across the plain. Was this really all death had to offer? Or was the rage beast playing some sick game with him. He was almost afraid to open his eyes and face whatever future was made. Finally he opened his eyes and what he saw would be burned into his mind forever. Silhouetted against the morning sun more clear a vision than he had ever scene was the rage beast turned over dead a large spear embedded deep into its skull over the fresh corpse was a woman staring at him with fierce yellow eyes.

Woman however was a gross underestimation for she was so much more. For one she was clearly taller than any woman he’d ever scene dwarfing not only him but the rage beast which was at least the size of a full grown war horse. Second she was beautiful those piercing eyes on a face that scholars would write about and make cherubs sing. Her long silver hair flowed in the breeze dazzling as stars in the sky. In one quick motion she wrenched the spear from the rage beast head with a sickening crunch as the bones in its skull shattered. The cracking sound brought him back to reality and the idea that he still wasn’t exactly safe. As she turned to face him he instinctually raised his blade to her in a shaky and frankly pathetic attempt to ward her off. She in turn raised her spear in kind a slow exploratory motion that somehow came off more intimidating than the entirety of the rage beast. They both stared at each other for moment the look in his eyes one of fear and confusion hers one of confidence and intent. Ramsey could not take the pressure of the stand still he rushed her with more energy than he thought he had the movement seemed to even surprise her for a brief instant. He pressed his fleeting advantage slashing at her repeatedly with his sword arm in motions that were more result of gravity and inertia than any training he received. These motions were easily sidestepped the only notable contact being a few strands of hair, soon enough he had used up whatever energy he had and collapsed the weight of past events finally registering. He managed to turn over and see her face staring down at him she seemed taller than ever. He also took notice of her body which must have been sculpted by the gods. Every inch was packed with tight lean muscle including a six pack that put even the toughest men he knew to shame. He also got a nice glance at her modesty but he was way too tired to enjoy it. She continued to stare at him with those same piercing eyes. He was sure they were the ones that stalked him all this time. Was she the shadow he saw in the trees? Was she the voice he heard on the wind? If so why did she choose now to show herself? Why did she not stop him from eating the Angel hair? Why save him from the rage beast?

“What do you want from me?” he managed to croak. She responded in some strange gibberish he couldn’t recognize. The last thing he felt was himself being lifted from the ground before he lost consciousness.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

You have know idea how hard it was not to make a Game of Thrones reference about the night being dark and full of terrors......also comment please.