- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I was originally going to wait until I finished another chapter of Snapped but I figured why not upload now! And if you can't guess by the title everything in this chapter happens at night. WHoOOooOOO!

Trials Chapter 18: Night

                The royal galleries were always a marvel to behold as Kiri walked through the halls she admired the architecture and scale of the statues that aligned the sides. They were in chronological order the past rulers of the amazons. There were only five as amazon queens tended to rule for at least a century. The first was Amelia daughter of Celeste and a common man as rumored. As a goddess Celeste had many suitors and many assumed her first child would belong to Orion the mountain King and father of the north, but upon her birth it was discovered that she lacked the red or blonde hair that was a distinct trait of all the northern children. She was also the shortest queen to ever rule and Kiri’s direct ancestor. The comparisons were easily made.

                Next was Janette daughter of Volsta. Volsta like Celeste had many suitors, she however was far less inhibited and produced many offspring. When the time came for one of her heirs to claim the throne many appeared from across the lands who could. They all fought each other and only the strongest could take the throne. This is widely believed among the amazons to be the first official Amazonian games. It was a common practice for amazons to face each other in combat but this was the first major event and also how the arena was formed. Many believe Dora is Volsta’s decedent because of her blue eyes a trait that was common in her children. But seeing as Dora was her sister Kiri chose to believe that Dora was a decendent of Amelia like her.

                The third was Eric the one and only man to ever be called King of the Amazons. Millani was far different from her older sisters. She only ever had one suitor. Her one true love Roland the scholar. She only produced one child Eric. Eric was small and sickly most of his life and not much of a ruler. In truth most think of his wife Gilda. She was simply massive for an amazon and all of her children inherited her great size. Eric did have one major contribution. Under his rule the amazons were able stop the human’s encroachment on them and officially claim the Emerald forest as Amazonian territory not through war but a simple peace treaty he drafted himself. Despite being frail Eric lived to be one-hundred and two. His statue was of him sitting on his wife’s shoulders reading a book while she stood proudly over the remains of stone giant. This one always made Kiri laugh for some reason. Celina was obviously his desendent her size alone confirmed that but if more proof was needed she also had his pointed nose.

                The next was the most difficult. Her mother Gladace, she had the shortest rule of any amazon queen a meager ten years. Her most notable achievement was somehow ending the war that sparked between the amazons and the Qwalis empire. King Reginald Qwalis single-handedly established the largest concentrated human empire to date through sheer military might. He soon came across the Emerald forest and its bounty. He completely ignored the treaty of Eric marching arrogantly into their depths sparking a war that lasted almost a decade. Then the war just stopped and her mother disappeared. This mystery haunted Kiri every day.

                The next was of course their current queen. The “benevolent” Celina, however she didn’t gain rule right away. According to the cycle a Volsta heir was next and as usual many appeared to claim. This time however far more came than expected including some men! The hostility was particularly high and an impromptu games were held. The applicants were so diverse and their claims were barely proven that a group of higher amazons decided it was open season so any amazon could attend creating a particularly frenzied and savage event. Celina seized the chance, however she did not win. In the final match she was bested by a terrifying amazon who ravaged the arena with her drive and brutality. A woman by the name of Diloris Alexia Storne; in her victory she could have asked for anything including the throne. Instead she chose to marry an heir who decided to forsake the crown and take the oath of a guardian. On that day Celina as runner up became queen Celina and Diloris became aunty Dixie.

                “How long do you plan on lingering out here?” came a commanding voice. “You can’t avoid me forever.”

                “Sorry your highness.” Kiri bowed.

                “Calm yourself Kirisiala.” Celeste ordered. “I will never understand why you’re so jumpy around me? We’re practically family.”

                “I’m just nervous.” Kiri informed. “I don’t why you would ever want to talk to me?”

                “Isn’t it obvious?” she said curtly. “You’ve made a pact. Something you’re not allowed to do unless your queen or are bidding to become one.” As she spoke Kiri could sense the lingering danger behind her words. If she saw this as a coup Kiri could be executed.

                “I swear your highness it was never my intention!” she pleaded. “I just wanted a partner for the games! I don’t even want to be queen!” She looked up at Celina who was covering her mouth stifling a laugh.

                “Your too easy Kiri!” she snickered. “Truthfully Lilly arranged this little meet. I personally couldn’t care less.” She gently picked up the smaller amazon and tucked her under her arm.

                “Where are you taking me?” Kiri asked slightly startled by the abrupt lift and carry.

                “To my personal chambers for some private instruction.” Celeste answered.

                Something about the way she said it made Kiri uneasy.

 

                Ramsey charged head first into the young girl tackling her to the ground. Before he could press his advantage a staff struck him in the face and he fell onto his back. He turned to face the other young girl before being grabbed from behind by his legs and losing his footing then he felt weight on his back as the previous girl sat on him.

                “I swear Ramsey we’ve ran this drill for hours and you still can’t last more than two minutes.” Lillian observed.

                “What am I supposed to do?” he yelled back.

                “Put some heart into it boy!” she returned. “You won’t be use to anyone if you fight so half assed.”

                “I can’t help it.” He argued. “It feels  weird fighting little girls.” He pointed towards Lola and Mycale the two girls he had met briefly at the market with Kiri.

                “These “little girls” are my top students.” She replied. “Far better students than you ever were and trust me they are the only ones who you can spar with without dying.”

                “I fought with Kiri.” He defended. “A few times.”

                “OH PLEASE, RAMSEY!” Lilly dismissed. “She told me about that. You were half dead and flailing around like a moron or are you talking about when you blinded her had a clear advantage and she disarmed you in two seconds.”

                Ramsey was at a loss for words she did have a point.

                Lillian sighed. “Trust me Ramsey if she were in that circle you would be dead seven times over.” She picked him up off the ground. “Now start again. If you don’t get this down we won’t be able to move on to your language lessons.”    

                “Language lesson?” he questioned. “I speak just fine.”

                “Amazonian language lessons.” She clarified. “They will be tutoring you in that as well unless of course you like standing around like an idiot.”

                Ramsey returned to his corner of the ring defeated. “This is gonna be a long two days.” He thought.

 

 

                “How is your time among the amazons treating you?” Tyson asked Lucinda. The pair had moved to their own secluded booth in the corner of Maiden’s Kiss.

                “Great!” she chimed. “This place is one of the world’s marvels like the floating isles of Perove.” She swirled her finger around her drink a warm mug of Red fern brandy. “You’ll be interested to know that your little scout survived.”

                “Ramsey!?” Tyson gasped. “How?”

                “I’m not quite sure?” she stated. “It seems an amazon may have taken pity on him. I guess our little plan didn’t account for that.”

                “Does he know anything?” Tyson asked worried. “If anyone finds out about us then.”

                “Easy, Ty.” She comforted. “I don’t think he even remembers and if he does he hasn’t mentioned it. I for one am relieved. I don’t think I could handle having someone’s blood on my hands.”

                “I suppose your right.” He agreed.

                “Besides I have plenty of other opportunities to practice the art of deception and subterfuge.”

                “I take it you that means you have good news?” Tyson smiled eagerly. “If you’ve found a weakness in these amazons armor my men are ready to exploit it.”

                “I’m afraid not darling.” Lucinda frowned. “These amazons are strong and smart and their queen is devious and clever, not to mention bloodthirsty. If we went to war with them she would jump at the chance to slaughter us all. She told me so personally.”

                “You control the largest army that ever existed.” He assured her. “If she tries it will be her head that mounts your wall.”

                “I don’t know Ty.” She sighed. “My father tried for a decade and gained nothing from it.”

                “Then what do you propose my queen.”

                “We do nothing.” She said. “Better, we become friends, allies. These amazons seem content to stay in their forest. Maybe in time we could even establish trade routes through it instead of circling around that dreadful desert.”

                “You can’t be serious Lucy!” Tyson nearly yelled. “Have you forgotten what they did to your father or what they nearly did to your kingdom!?”

                Lucinda looked at Tyson and could see the hate in his eyes. It was a hate that she had known for a long time but unlike him she had learned to move past it.

                “That is my decision!” she commanded. “The price of war would be my people’s lives and that cost is too great.” Lucinda brushed Tyson’s cheek a large scar was their earned by an Amazonian blade. She looked into his eyes and saw him relent. “Thank you.” She said.

 

                Kiri was embarrassed. She was currently standing naked in front of the queen and four of her male attends who were all just as naked as she was.

                “Is this absolutely necessary?” she asked.

                “Of course Kiri.” Celina smiled. “Don’t be so shy believe me you have nothing to be embarrassed about.”

                “Why?”

                “So that you don’t miss anything.” She gestured and the men formed ranks at the queens feet. “It’s important that you see every detail.” Then suddenly Celina’s eyes started glowing and silver markings appeared on her body. On her back was the mark of her house a shooting star flying in a spiral. Then the men started glowing similar marks appearing on their bodies as well.

                “Did you make a pact with all these men?” she wondered staring in amazement.

                “But of course.” She confirmed. “It’s a queen’s duty to have many suitors.” She then went over to her bed and reclined on her back. “These pacts bring out the potential of not only the master but the servants as well. Boys give her a demonstration.”

                Suddenly one of the men jumped twenty feet in the air. Another went to lift Celina’s leg which wasn’t an easy feet for a human. Still another started walking on the very walls defying the laws of gravity and another punched a hole in the side of the temple through a foot of thick marble.

                “Alex calm down!” Celina snapped at the last man. “Break anything else and you’re forbidden from my chambers for a month.” She turned towards Kiri beckoning her to join her on the bed.

                “As you can see the effects are substantial and change depending on the person.” She closed her eyes and suddenly the glowing stopped and the marks disappeared. “These men are some of my weakest.” She poked Kiri in the stomach. “You seem to have a little fire bug.”

                Kiri just stood in shock taking in as much information as she could.

                “These abilities are also tied to your emotions.” Celina continued. “As you may have learned from your little outburst at dinner.”

                “It seems like anger was the catalyst.” Kiri identified.

                “You must be careful Kiri.” Celina warned. “The soul is like a pool of water if you drink to much at one time it will be empty and the servant will die.”

                Kiri suddenly remembered how cold Ramsey had felt that night. She very nearly could have killed him.

                “These effects have many different applications.” Celina recited nonchalantly. “Including some exiting and entertaining bedroom possibilities.” She stroked the back of the man who was currently pinned beneath her leg and winked at him.

                “Over the next few days I will instruct you in how to properly hone your newfound ability.” She yawned stretching out. She waved a hand and a man immediately started fanning her.

                “This is all very interesting you highness.” Kiri informed. “But at the same time I’m pretty sure we didn’t have to be naked for me to understand.”

                “Maybe.” She agreed. ‘But where’s the fun in that?”

 

                Doratea hadn’t expected to be called out so late but she was still technically a guardian and investigation was her job. She walked into the crowd of blue robes that had encircled the crime scene.

                “Cassy what’s the report.” The rookie guardian turned and saluted.

                “I’m not sure what to report this is the first time I’ve seen something like this.”

                Dora inspected the scene and shook her head. This was the last thing she needed.

                “Cassy go inform the queen at once.”

                As the amazon sped toward the temple Dora leaned down to inspect the body of a dead amazon. Lodged in her gut was a serrated short blade. She looked closer at the hilt in bared the image of a dragon kneeling. The mark of a standard issue weapon of a soldier of the Qwalis empire.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Hope you don't mind the rather large exposition dump at the begining. I honestly had no idea where else to put it. I was considering making it a small side story. Hey thiers an idea a side story about how Dixie won the previous tournament! Anyway as always please comment, comment, COMMENT!