- Text Size +

The school bell rang, and what was once a relatively silent, open hall was crammed with the ebb and flow of hundreds of students, each wearing the antiquated uniform set down by the school's administration - a bland, uninteresting grey polo and a pair of seamed khakis for the boys and a blouse and skirt for the girls, along with knee-high socks. The boys' uniforms were called ugly at best while the girls' were referred to as sexist and scandalous. such was the price of coming to Merriwinter High, a premier high-end private school. Graduation from Merriwinter meant employment anywhere...for the most part. High in power were the gender rules of the 1900's, and it was no secret exactly WHY the predominantly male staff still forced their 17-20 year old female students to wear what amounted to a schoolgirl fantasy uniform. For some, they took measures to cover themselves; others used it to their advantage. Some yet refused to care.

Kira Northend belonged to the last group. She blatantly broke the school's code on piercings, tattoos and hair dye, and no one seemed to want to tell her off. Sure, she possessed a silent, cool, elegant beauty, but the gym teachers and science geeks didn't fawn over her like they did over Rebecca or any of the other queen bee cheerleaders; no, Kira was left alone perhaps because she was invisible on occasion, and she liked it that way. In her opinion, if she wanted it, she could have it - and without pushing her chest together and putting on a valley girl accent. She stood at 5'3" and weighed just over 130 pounds. Her hair was wavy and long, vibrant red and silky. She liked to look good; not for anyone but herself (though sex did interest her - and profoundly - she was picky, and finding a person who could put up with her personality and desires for long still eluded her) and as such possessed a perfect hourglass figure she honed every morning with yoga and dance. She had a modest cup size of 36B, wide hips, long, curvy legs and size nine feet. Her lips were full and often glossy with strawberry-flavoured lipstick, and they were adorned with two rings of silver. Kira knew she was beautiful, and so did the popular clique - which made the latter very angry when she refused to play by their rules. They had lost many a prospective boytoy to the nonchalant dominance that was Kira Northend.

Kira was 19. This simple fact made her a target for the 21-year-old Rebecca Highland, blonde-haired glam goddess of Merriwinter High. Rebecca had a Winter birthday, and that meant that in her senior year she was able to drink legally. Her twenty-first birthday celebration was already the stuff of legend. Rebecca had the staff of Merriwinter wrapped around her red-painted finger. The only thing that could possibly upset her was the idea of a silent nobody gaining more attention than her. For reasons unbeknownst to Kira, she had decided that the redhead would be her rival, and on several occasions, stole boyfriends and dates - and in one instance, a girlfriend - out from beneath her. Mild things like personal relations did nothing to annoy Kira, but the persistence of Rebecca's interference with her life was beginning to irk her.

To make matters worse, Kira had befriended Miranda Townsworth, the timid goth geek and lowest rung on the totem pole. Kira liked Miranda's company because they both had an appreciation for science, herbal tea and Doctor Who. The two of them enjoyed silent movie nights, mixed drinks and discussing wildly dramaticized world domination plans - and discussing the local bitches of Merriwinter. Miranda suffered extremely bad teasing - she was not busty, nor very proud of her body in general (all of which had been pointed out to her by Rebecca's circle in various stages of nastiness). Until Kira decided that Miranda needed a drunken lesbian experience or two, she had never kissed anyone, and the very concept of being desired by this silent, overpowering redheaded goddess floored her. Miranda almost worshipped Kira, in a sense, and believed that she kept herself rather calm around her. Kira knew, however, and it empowered her more, which was something she could not quite understand.

Kira followed the pack of students, her miniskirt swaying lightly, intentionally oblivious to the occasional glance at her long legs or the whisper of the latest scandalous rumor amongst a group of students. She avoided the case of the fat, disgusting, nigh-predatory gym teacher, forced her way into a righthand corridor branching off from the main throng, and found mousy Miranda fumbling in her locker. "Manda." Kira said, using her friend's nickname. "Are we still on for tonight?"
Miranda nodded, her long black bangs coming undone from the loose bandana she wore. "Absolutely. I gotta show you something, girl."
Kira smiled coyly and reached into Miranda's locker for a Tootsie Roll. "I didn't think you had anything left to show me."
Miranda sighed at her friend's innuendo and slid her smart phone into the tight, ripped jeans she wore under her skirt, adjusting them so they fit comfortably over the fishnet stockings she wore. The two of them shut her locker and were surprised to find the sneering face of Rebecca Highland and a small crowd of cheerleaders fresh from practice - and fresh from showering. Miranda turned red and tried not to gaze at their more prominent and displayed assets, sliding behind Kira silently.
"Hello, babe." Rebecca said, throwing the last word like it was a savage insult. "Please don't tell me you two are going to fuck again. I don't need the thought giving me nightmares."
"Your lines sound like they came out of a comic book." Kira replied cooly. She popped the Tootsie Roll in her mouth and chewed it while maintaining a glare upwards at the 5'9" Rebecca. Kira's green eyes bored into Rebecca's ice-blues. "Is there something I can do for you, or are you taking up space just because you feel like it?"
"I go where I want, babe." Rebecca replied flatly. "I'm not here for you."
"Yeah, I figured." Kira said, subtly hiding Miranda behind her.
"The greaseball there owes me my Physics homework," Rebecca began with a troubled sigh. "In exchange for me NOT revealing her disgusting secret to the rest of the class. I assume you know what I'm talking about, Kira."
"Nope." Kira said with a sweet smile. "Though if you threaten her again, I'll fucking beat the shit out of you."
There was a long silence, followed by a likewise sugarsweet smile from Rebecca. "Excuse me?" She said with a hint of warning. "What did you just say, you fucking bitch? Do y--"
"--ou know who I am?" Kira mocked, swinging her backpack over her shoulder. "You've told the school she's gay already, bitch. Melissa told me: surprise, surprise, she still talks to me after you dumped her. Come to think of it, doesn't that make YOU gay, too? You should probably stop being a motherfucking hypocrite and get on with your pathetic excuse for a life." It was at this point that Rebecca's two friends grabbed Kira and pinned her against the lockers roughly, shoving Miranda to the ground with ease. Kira barely fought, simply keeping her icy glare on Rebecca's eyes, who stood above her and glared venom down at her.
"Here's the thing, Kira." She said as though she were a mob boss. "You and your worthless fucking friend had best do what I so polietly ask for, or I'm gonna have Brad and Jim rape you both. Don't think they'll get away with it? They're top of their class, varsity Soccer players. You've got to be kidding me. Who the fuck's gonna believe you? But I swear to God, you little fuck, you threaten me like that again and it'll be the last you do." She spat. She smacked Kira across the face, leaving long trails of red nail polish. Kira barely flinched, looking to the side without a word. Rebecca scoffed, turned around, and stepped on Miranda's hand with her 4-inch heel. Miranda screamed; Kira saw the gym teacher step into a room out of the corner of her eye. "And you, Worthless, are to finish my homework tonight, or it's gonna get much worse." She twisted her heel and walked away with her friends in tow. Kira lowered a hand and lifted Miranda up.
"You okay?" Kira asked. Miranda nodded, rubbing her hand.
"I like that better when you do it." She said, stifling a cry. Kira rolled her eyes and helped her friend out to her car, which they quickly discovered had been keyed - again. "So what is it you wanted to show me, anyway?" Kira asked as they drove to Miranda's house.
"Science shit. Remember that dream I had, where I made these pills that made people shrink?" Miranda said. Kira smiled and leaned her head back.
"Oh yeah. That made for a good fantasy or two." Kira said. "You still into that macro stuff?"
Miranda blushed and continued on. "I actually made it."
Kira laughed. "You're fucking with me."
"No, I'm not!" Miranda said heatedly. "It really works. It makes people, like, two inches tall. You can hold 'em between your index finger and thumb really comfortably. I tested it on a few of the cadavers in my dad's morgue."
"Question," Kira said, puzzled. "It's a pill, right? How did you make cadavers take it." She asked with a tone of confusion.
"I made a liquid version first," Miranda said. "But the liquid stuff is less effective than the pill, by my calculations." They continued discussing this while they stepped into Miranda's suburban home. Miranda showed Kira the shrunken cadavers - literally human bodies, but a fraction of their usual size. Miranda had made a rather absurd amount of the stuff, and had hidden it rather well from the other people in her house. They locked themselves in Miranda's room by nightfall, their favorite music playing while Kira got further and further into a drunken state; Miranda tried to work out Rebecca's physics homework.
"I can't believe you're doing that shit." Kira said, drinking from her glass. Miranda shrugged.
"It's base-level work." She said as she wrote. "I just think she was serious about Brad and Jim."
"Her boytoys? I'd fuckin' tear 'em apart before they got to you." Kira said with a giggle. She reached over a picked up a syringe of the green, viscous liquid Miranda had made. Miranda caught her eye and sighed.
"No, Kira." She said. "I've thought about it to, but, like...how do you possibly get Rebecca alone to shrink and steal, much less get her to drink something we made? Not happening." Kira laughed and straddled her friend, stroking her hair absentmindedly. "Oh my God you are insatiable." She said with a sigh.
"So we shrink everyone," Kira said hazily. "We take this shit and we just...bam! Everyone in the school becomes our toys."
"Yeah, and then the government comes and kills us." Miranda said, tilting her head away from Kira's breath. "Sounds like a science fiction movie. Get off me, Kira, we can fuck when I'm done..."
"But we need a guinea pig. We gotta see if it works for real." Kira said, completely ignoring Miranda. Miranda sighed and put down the book.
"Maybe grab one of the boys from the science club." Miranda said sarcastically. "They wouldn't even know what to --" She gasped as Kira pinned her to the floor and stuffed one of the pills into her mouth, a truly mischevious grin on her face. Miranda coughed and tried to spit it out, but Kira put her hand over her mouth and forced her to swallow. Miranda's eyes widened and Kira giggled, stroking her face with her free hand.
"Don't worry, you'll be fine...I won't hurt you...much. I did say we needed a guinea pig...and you'll do nicely, my love. You'll do nicely indeed..."

Chapter End Notes:

Mostly exposition and set-up. It'll get more intense next chapter.