- Text Size +
“Alright considering that it is a Monday mom.” John said as he brushed aside his mother’s prodding index finger.
“But are you sure you are ready for school to start so soon?” John’s mom said with concern.
“Mom, we go through this every year. Trust me, nothing is going to happen. But I would like to eat breakfast here though because I’m famished.” John said as a small rumble is heard from his stomach.
“Fine, I shall admit defeat but I want you to be extra careful this year.” said John’s mother as she handed him back to Sarah.
As John was set at the table, his mother sat a plate full of sausage, eggs, a bit of toast, and a glass of orange juice. John wasted no time digging into his food as he was about to be barraged with questions from his youngest sister.
“Why are you always so hunger in the morning?” asked Katelyn the youngest of the family at 10 years old. Katelyn was different from the rest of the family because she had blonde hair with blue eyes, and was the most curious out of all of them.
“Well to put it simple. Every night that I go to sleep, every part of my body is basically rebuilt from the ground up. This of course takes a toll on the body so it’s only natural that I get hungry.” John answered while stuffing another piece of sausage in his mouth.
“Okay, but my next question is why can I hear you even though you are so small.”
“That’s probably the easiest question. Have you ever wondered what that little metal disk the size of a match head is behind your ear is?”
“What is it?” Katelyn said as she started to feel the all too common disk behind her ear.
“Well typically when you reach the age of three that is implanted there so that it corresponds with my transmitter. It’s basically like a walkie talkie, as long as you are in range you are able to hear what I say.”
“But where is your transmitter?”
“That would be right here.” John said as he tilled his head back to show a tiny spec above and to the right of his Adam’s apple.
“Okay then, now I want to know how mom knew she was pregnant with you?”
At this John started to choke on his sausage as his sister started to ask questions that she should not be asking. Finally regaining his composer, John set down his food and thought of how to answer this question.
“Okay, this is the last question of the day.” John said trying to fend off any more personal questions.
“Okay.” Katelyn said with disappointment.
“Actually mom never knew. You see because of our small size boys cannot survive by themselves when women are pregnant. The only way that a woman can have a boy is if he has a twin sister. I won’t go into any more detail, but with the larger body, women will know that they are pregnant and will be more careful along with several other things. Also that is one reason why there are not many boys.”
“So is that why Sarah is the same age as you.”
“I wouldn’t say the same age, she is my baby sister after all.”
After John had finished explaining a sudden thud made him turn around has he saw his sister loom over him.
“And who is the baby?” Sarah said jokingly while glaring at her brother.
“And how long have you been there?”
“Since the start of it.” Sarah said while picking her brother up from the table.
“If so then I regret to inform you but I am all out of answers for today. Now if you would like to leave a message or a complaint please leave that with your mom.”
“Well we better get off to school before we miss the bus.” Sarah said as she started to giggle as she gently lowered John into the palm of her other hand.
“Okay mom we’re off.” John shouted as he and Sarah made their way out the door to the bus stop.
After saying good bye to all of his siblings, John was excited to start of yet another semester of high school.
Chapter End Notes:
Just a short chapter for introductory concepts. Leave a review and tell me what you think.