- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Meh...

Really, I spend my time here either learning what I can from my Teacher, sitting in the square, or taking long walks through the countryside admiring the view. Usually, I like to take my walks alone and I do because my escorts can't keep up. Even days later, when I've seen the same sights 20 times, it still amazes me my size compared to everyone else. I was absolutely massive but I had nothing but the utmost respect for the tiny denizens of this tiny land.

Back to my point. Whenever I was walking, I would stumble across certain oddities such as the occasional herd of sheep, or maybe a large contingent of soldiers marching off to who knows where. Each time I would stop and observe them going by and maybe give a wave or two and get a nervous wave in reply.

So I stumbled across some soldiers. There were three of them, at least, that's what I thought at first. I was walking along an open path and I saw the trail of dust that signified a group of horses. So I naturally stepped to the side when I saw exactly what this group was made of.

Two guards sat on horses with a woman, no a girl, in between on a third horse with her hands bound and her legs also bound. Her mouth was left free but it seemed she knew the consequence of speaking.

"Excuse me, but if I can ask, what's happening here?" I asked the soldiers. They shuffled nervously before the left one spoke up.

"Ms., this girl is a criminal and is being taken to Actipol for trial and judgement." 

"Now let me ask this; If she's found guilty, what will her punishment be?" 

"Flogging"

"I think I can take her off your hands." I motioned for the girl.

"No ma'am. The law states that any criminal discovered in a rim town must be escorted by soldiers to the capitol." I put my hands on my hips and stared down at the diminutive man.

"I think I can arrange a little bending of the rules here. What did she do anyway?"

"Uhhh... She stole bread. Two loaves to be exact."

"I was starving and so were my brothers! I didn't hurt anybody and it's just some bread!" The girl cried out. The guard snarled and rammed the shaft of his spear into her stomach causing the girl to cry out in pain.

"Enough of that!" I exclaimed. I bent down and snatched the tiny pinprick out of his hand and tossed it aside maybe a couple hundred feet or so.

"Why you... I don't care how big you are, rules are rules and you're disregarding them!" The weaponless soldier shouted at me. I snorted in humor.

"That's fine then, you report me and I'll go back to Actipol, talk to Maximillion, and ask for her to be spared." This one seemed to hit home and the soldier looked down, mumbling.

"Fine" he conceded, "I'll let her go." He signaled for the other guard to cut the girl loose. As soon as the girl's limbs were unbound, she jumped off the horse and pretty much started bowing toward me.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm so grateful!" She groveled as the soldiers rode off.

"Don't thank me. Those soldiers should help a person in need." I crouched down and got a better look at the little girl. She was actually a decent age, 19 I would guess. And very pretty with blonde hair tied back and blue eyes just like me.

"What's your name?" I asked her.

"Catherine"

"Catherine... Can I call you Cathy?"

"Sure, my brothers do."

"Great. Cathy, I'm Aman-." Catherine jumped up in excitement and interrupted me.

"I know who you are! You're the giant Amanda! Everyone says you're beautiful and, well, giant! I dreamt of meeting you and, now..." She couldn't formulate the right word because I don't think 'wow' was a word in their language yet.

"Cathy?"

"Yes?"

"Want to be my friend?" Her eyes widened.

"It would be an honor! Of course! Of course! Oh my... I can tell everybody back in my village that I'm friends with Amanda! They won't believe me but I'll know they're wrong!" Cathy was giddy with excitement. "Here, come back to my village! They must meet you! Come, come!" I chewed my lip nervously as I thought about an answer but decided 'What the heck!'

"Sure, why not?" I agreed. I lowered my hand down in front Cathy who nervously took a step back.

"Step on" I motioned.

"Wha- why?"

"Because, it'll be faster this way."

"Oh... I guess..." she stepped on nervously and climbed into the center of my palm. I carefully lifted the pretty young girl up and stood up at my full height.

"Now, which way?" I asked. She pointed back in the direction opposite of where the soldiers were headed. 

"Just walk that way until you see the village." 

"That way it is." I walked along with Cathy in my hand. She was wide eyed with both fear, and excitement. At my chest height, she was about 300 feet off the ground which put her up very high.

"Is this how you always see things?"

"All day, every day."

"Oh my... I wish I was giant." I made a face.

"No you don't. I'm too big for every structure in this world. It's not fun."

"But I'd have fun! You're so big that you don't have to follow any rules! I'd just eat what I wanted, when I wanted. Do whatever I wanted when I wanted!"

"If you say so..." A village came into view.

"That's it! Hurry! Let's go!" Cathy tugged my thumb in excitement. I walked toward the tiny village.

"Put me on the ground. I'll go talk to them and you come once I shout out, ok?"

"Sure" Cathy smiled brightly as I set her down. She hopped off my hand and ran off toward her village. I watched the tiny figure head off towards the small town and sighed. Finally, I had made a friend here. She may not have been the one I envisioned but she's still a good person, I can tell that much.

"Come on!" I hear very, very faintly. That must be my cue. I take a deep breath and walk toward the village step by step. I don't know why, but this is probably the most stressful thing I've done the whole time I've been here. I'm sweaty and the makeshift robe the people made me feels awful hot.

"See? I told you! This is my friend Amanda!" Cathy shouts at the large crowd that assembled at the village entrance. I wave meekly at the crowd which sends a lot of them into excitement. Apparently I'm popular in a lot of places.

"Amanda, am I your friend?"

"Uhh, yeah" I answer. Cathy beams and turns back to her village cockily. I stand there smiling weakly while the villager's eyes probe me up and down. I stoop down and whisper to Cathy.

"I have to leave for Actipol. Want to come with me?" Cathy nods excitedly and I lower my hand once more. She steps into it and I stand up.

"Bye!" she shouts as I walk away from the village, glad to be out of there, but also happy for making a new friend.

Chapter End Notes:

I kinda rushed the ending.