- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

No I'm not dead.

Excerpt from Malaki's records:

The woman, Amanda, is just amazing! In just 4 days she's learned more of our language than someone could learn in a year! We've been having very fluent conversations daily and frankly, there's not much more to teach except maybe proper etiquette. God, I wish everyone was like this.

***

5 Days Later

I sit in the square once more and wait for Malaki. He's a great teacher, throwing me material as fast as I can take it. God, he was great, and he liked me. I had to remember to get something for him. 

The buildings around me came up to chin height when I sat. They weren't tiny in the traditional sense. I didn't think of them as 'small' more like me as extremely huge. I was 40 Taryfs! (excuse me, 400 feet in standard measurements) Really, the only thing larger than me was the castle! And it only reached above me with a single tower.

The front gate opened. That was the first surprise. Usually he came out onto the balcony and taught. A crowd would gather at times and some people would even help out. Like, there was this one boy, about 11, 12 maybe. He kept trying to pronounce their word for plant, which is boton, but kept saying it with a low O. They were all so nice!

Then surprise number two. Instead of my Teacher walking out, 4 men in a circular arrangement. Each one is armed, a sword strapped at the waist, a spear in their hands. And I know each one of them.

Well, not technically their names, but I couldn't forget any of these men. The Sergeant glared up at me as they took a position by my bare foot. I recognized Carn, who was bruised but very much active. He waved up at me. With a little blush, I waved back at him.

"Miss... Amanda, do I have your attention?" The Sergeant yelled up at me in their language. I nodded my head and all I earned was a grunt of recognition from the man.

"Yes, I see. Now, by order of our Most High Ruler, we have been assigned to be your escorts for as long as we are needed. We are not to be dismissed unless it has been by you directly and you only. Any questions you have, ask us and we will answer. Any guidance, instructions, or help you need, we can provide." He didn't sound happy at all during the speech and a scowl decorated his face prettily when he ended. 

It all touched me. The help, the care and attention they gave me was incredible. It seemed like everyone had lost their fear of me, and I was fine. I need friends here and it isn't too hard. But the Sergeant... He wasn't my friend.

"Ummmm... Thank you." I couldn't express my gratitude enough. It was all too much. But apparently, what I said didn't please the man. His scowl deepened and he gripped his spear butt tightly. 

Carn walked up and poked the Sergeant in the back lightly. The man turned with the scowl and shouted.

"What do you want?!"

"Maybe I should talk to her sir." The red tinges on the leader's cheeks flamed and grew a bit purple. He shifted his hand to the sword and drummed the hilt. I didn't see what the anger was all about but apparently it was something.

"I swear, if you mess this up, I'll have you thrown in prison for a long time. I'll take the key, melt it, and fashion it into part of a new sword. Then, I'll take you, and have your head, and make that a trophy on my fireplace at home!" Jeez, this man was a bomb waiting to explode. I don't know what I would do if he were put in a position of power.

"I understand... Sir." Carn smiled at me and walked forward. He set his spear and sword down behind him and walked forward up to my hand which rested on the ground.

"Great lady" I blushed profusely as soon as he spoke. Whenever someone used this term, it made me uncomfortable. I felt like I was someone important, or powerful. I may be strong compared to them, but really, I'm just another woman.

"No need to be so embarrassed. You are great. Beautiful as can be. I am honored you would even have anything to do with me. A lowly soldier such as I doesn't deserve the privilege to speak with a fine maiden like you." He was so precise and layered the flattery on thick. I blushed all the more when he continued.

Meanwhile, the Sergeant was scowling and looked like a ripe tomato. His fury was hot and I almost flinched at the sight of it. Carn though, was unaware.

"Now, beautiful lady, can you please pick me up?" The request stunned me. I wouldn't have guessed anybody would be asked to be picked up.

"No! No! Absolutely not! Carn, you have overstepped your boundaries!" The Sergeant stepped forward with sword in hand. But before anything could happen between the two of them, I scooped Carn up and held him protectively in my palm. The Sergeant stopped dead in his tracks and stared up at me with the rage still in his face.

"Amanda, I'm sorry." Carn whispered up at me. "Please, I didn't mean to make you so mad. I was just trying to be nice. Please, please don't be angry." I had no idea what he was trying to tell me.

"What in the world are you talking about?" He looked up at me with a confused face.

"You looked angry when you picked me up. Furious more like." I did?

"Angry? I was trying to PROTECT you." Carn's face looked up at me, now even more confused than ever.

"From what?" I let out an exasperated sigh. "From your Sergeant." Carn looked at the man. The Sergeant had returned to his place in the group and fumed by himself.

"Oh... Well, thank you. I guess I'm in your debt for saving my life... Twice now that is." I looked at Carn, the tiny man sitting in the middle of my palm. He wore his armor, held his head high, and had ugly bruises down the side of his body. He was a man of honour. I set him down gently.

"Beautiful Lady" he stated, returning to his previous behavior, "I must be off bow, we will be with you in one hour after we lunch. Then we shall help you." I nodded in agreement as they formed up and walked off.

What was with that Sergeant?

***

As soon as they were in the castle and the main gate were closed, Alin broke off from the group and sat. He examined his emblem on his tunic and studied it silently. Sergeant, that's what he was.

"Hey, Al, do you think she... She bought it?" Alin looked up at Carn and grinned. 

"Yes, definitely. She's convinced that we're basically mortal enemies. Now, we keep it up for another few days, then..." he didn't need to finish.

"Then we strike." Alin nodded and grinned again. The Emperor's Royal Army was in disarray. More than 2/3rds of the army wanted change, large change. After denial time and time again, they decided that enough was enough. Appointing Alin as the head of the People's Royal Resistance (PRR), was the first step. Now, specific soldiers were in specific positions when the attack went out. Then Amanda came in. The giant woman, she would be executed. After a trial of which she couldn't win. 

It was a Revolution. One they would win.

Chapter End Notes:

I will say, the Sergeant is a major character in this story.