- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Not all chapters will be from the eyes of our heroine. Some will be from a random character's viewpoint. This chapter and the next one will be from someone elses view.

Recorded on the 14th day of the Month of 6.

Recorded by The Royal Advisor, Noruit, in the 23rd year of Maximillion Ludentes Therin’s Reign of I’llputil.

I sit here writing after one of the greatest events in this empire’s history. Even the past 2000 years of records, nothing has compared to such as what I just was part of. I retired to my quarters, recording the meeting between 2 great powers such as these. But let me start at another moment.

I was sitting with My Lord, both of us listening to a messenger. We had just finished our mid-day meal in His Majesty’s quarters. Her Ladyship had retired to another part of the castle after having finished her meal. I, as The Most Exalted’s Advisor, always was near him, unless I had to record the day’s events. The messenger was escorted in and he had news of the war with Cubelfus. The Enemy was in retreat, our armies pushing their war weary soldiers back across the border, deep into their own land. He reported multiple victories with only one minor loss, which we soon regrouped and crushed the opposing force.

But as he neared the end of his report, a second messenger rushed in, only stopping to bow low to Our Master. His face was red, and he seemed very much exerted. This is what he told Our Lord,

“Sir! The giant… she’s just entered Actipol!” My Lord was shocked by the news. I am sure my own expression was not too different. The giant! I had not seen it, but the soldiers who originally found her said that it was a woman, of great proportions. His Majesty rode out the day of discovery and saw her with his own eyes. I stayed back, not one for riding due to an old injury.

The Great One stood and immediately adorned a rich cloack, made of velvet, and very bright in color. It showed his grandeur greatly, and clearly showed him as ruler. I stood, curious as to see the giant. His Majesty turned and dismissed the messenger. The messenger bowed low once more, and left the room, accompanied by guards. My Lord turned to me and said, “Accompany me to the overhang Noruit, we shall converse with the giant.”

I nodded, and followed His Greatness through the halls of the castle. We rose, continuing our walk to the overhang. My curiosity greatly increased with each step, as I was extremely eager to see the giant with my own eyes. We stopped at the door, where two guards were standing. They saluted, butting their spears on the floor shouting “All Hail The Emperor!” His Majesty nodded, and briefly prepared himself, fixing the sword belt on his hip and adjusting his cloak. My Lord stopped, looking most like Royalty, and we exited the castle, onto the balcony.

The giant was the first thing I saw. The soldiers said that it was a female, but nothing could have prepared me for this. She was a maiden, one of the most fair in all the land I would most definitely dispute with anyone who dared say otherwise. She had eyes, most like the water in the ocean, a deep and brilliant hue. Her hair was the radiant color of the sun, bright and beautiful. She was beautiful in every aspect of the word.

 

But her size diverted my attention from her beauty. She stood well over us, soaring up into the air. I could not tell properly, but I think she stands as tall as the castle itself, which we have measured to be about 40 Taryfs into the air. She was massive, and I could not help but think that we must seem like insects to her.

The Most Wonderful stepped forward, and raised his arms into the air and shouted, “Welcome to my land of I’llputil!” But the maiden merely stood, showing no sign of hearing His Majesty’s words. My Lord stood there, confused, and slowly lowered his arms to his side. Then I thought of something and I walked up, telling His Majesty my thought.

“I think that she speaks a different language than us. Look at her garb. There is text that I cannot decipher, although the lettering is similar.” It was true. It seemed that we used the same letters, just a different arrangement and therefore different language. Realization dawned on The Most Exalted’s face, and he stepped back, pondering his next action with the giant. She [the giant] was suddenly distracted by something near her feet.

She crouched down, and for the second time I felt the patheticness of our sizes. She was just so much larger than us! I do not know how she gained her size, but I hypothesized that she was not from our land. My Lord and I could not see what was gaining the giant’s attention but soon, she was to show us.

We stepped back from the edge and the giant rose up, with something in her hand. It was a man! A soldier too. But from the looks of it, he was a common soldier, a simpleton possibly. His Majesty leaned toward me and whispered in my ear,

“Look how she carries that commoner! With such care and carefulness that it amazes me. He obviously means something important to her. I must exploit this relationship.” I listened I upon his words and noted myself how she cared for the soldier. She held him in her palm so delicately, that I could almost say affection was strong in her.

She lowered her hand, until it sat level with the balcony we resided on. The soldier walked over to the edge of the huge palm, and hopped off, standing next to The Most High and myself. He bowed low, much like the messenger did earlier. After straightening up, My Lord looked him in the eye.

“Tell me your name, soldier.” The soldier responded quickly, eager to get his story out.

“Your Majesty, my name be Carn Liuety. I am but a common soldier, assigned to the guard which watched over the female my lord.” His Majesty interrupted the soldier though, and asked him a question

“Carn, please tell me how she escaped from the rope bonds we set up around her upon our discovery. If you can answer this, then you may go ahead and tell us your whole story.” Carn nodded, and explained to us the whole story of how the female escaped, and everything that had transpired until the moment he was placed upon the balcony with His Majesty and myself. I found myself fearful at the beginning, when I heard how she merely sat up, snapping the ropes easily. I shuddered, as I was terrified at the power of the female giant.

He ended his story and stood there gasping for breath, for he had not taken many breaks in his extravagant tale, of which I could tell none was a lie. My Lord stood there, a believing look upon his face. I could not tell what he was thinking, but I was sure he was not fearful of the colossal maiden. But suddenly, his face changed into that of the face of a man who had an idea.

The Sovereign Ruler stepped toward me and whispered into my ear again. “I believe this man’s tale, for he told it with such confidence that I could not doubt him for a second. But I need to see how this woman is. She obviously cares about this man more this simpleton more than he lets on, for she looks at him differently than even myself. So I need to see how she is when not compassionate, but provoked into anger.” My own eyes widened, for I could immediately see the flaws in this idea.

The mere size was the first thing one should have thought of. If we caused the female to be in a state of anger at us, she could simply crush our city flat. I do doubt that our weapons would have too much effect on her.

“B-but My Lord! She is powerful, and I fear that she may take her anger out on us! Do you not see her size with your eyes? All she is to do, is to pick one of us up and squeeze our body. We would burst quickly, our blood staining her fingertips.” He dismissed my concerns.

“She would not kill one of us nor destroy any of this beloved city. I can see that she is not a murderer, not even a soldier. I am merely to make her angry, and to do so, I must use this man.” And with that, My Lord stepped toward one of the two guards and muttered into his ear. I record what His Majesty said in this report.

“Beat the man. He is a traitor to this country, for he freed the Female, hoping to overthrow me.” The guard’s eyes grew wide, for he too was simple like Carn and he instantly believed Our Lord’s words. He drew a stick from his belt, used for controlling unruly mobs when weapons are not needed. He walked toward Carn, and simply swung the stick into the man’s side.

The soldier’s cry of pain was immediate, and I watched the first few strikes with disgust, for this was not right. But my attention was focused on the giant. Her face was one of total shock. I could tell that the beating had utterly surprised her. But then the fury of the female was shown.

She let out a cry, one of such anger as to make us all wince, all except His Majesty, who was eager to view the giant’s reaction. The guard was startled from his beating, and he stepped back in terror. But the female was fast, and before I could even blink, she snatched him up in her grip. At first, I could not see what she was doing, but then I saw that her hand was becoming more strained, and I realized with great fear that she was squeezing the poor guard’s body mercilessly. But as soon as it came her anger ebbed and she opened her palm, the broken body of the guard laying in it. With great shame, she set the guard down on a stretcher that had already been prepared.

As soon as the guard was taken inside, the lady delicately picked up the soldier Carn and held him against her stomach with such tenderness, that I could tell that she loved him in a way. He merely whimpered, suffering from the multiple bruises he suffered. I was terrified during the whole ordeal, but My Lord stood their fascinated.

“Amazing!” he shouted out, gaining the female’s attention once more. “You are most surely the strongest being in all the land. I will surely admit it because you are just magnificent!” She, not understanding our language, glared at him for she knew that he ordered the beating of Carn.

“You, get a stretcher for the soldier. He needs to be taken to the infirmary and cared for. Make sure to send him 50 gold pieces, for he is most loyal to me.” His Majesty told the replacement guard. A stretcher was brought out, and when the female saw it, she understood. She gingerly placed Carn’s body upon it and the guard’s carried him to the infirmary.

The Most High stepped forward, and shouted out his name. “I am Maximillion Ludentes Therin!” he shouted out to her. This time, she seemed to recognize our tongue, and seemed to consider something.

Then, she patted her chest and spoke most haltingly, but understandably, “I… am… Amanda” she told us. His Majesty was surprised, and let out an almost childish laughter. “Amanda!” he said, “A name that most surely befits a beauty such as you.” But she once again did not comprehend us.

My Lord pondered something, for it seemed a problem had arisen. He turned to me, and asked,

“Where shall the maiden rest, for she is too big for any of our rooms. We cannot provide her many comforts due to her great size.” I immediately had the answer, for I had thought of this problem long before His Majesty had asked.

“My Lord,” said I, “You see that our square is 60 Taryfs, by 60 Taryfs long. Built for a place where the whole population of our land could reside in, in case an enemy drives them here. She is no larger than 40 Taryfs, and could most easily lay down and not touch either side. She may not have much bedding, maybe none, but she is in at least a secure area.” The Sovereign Ruler nodded, pleased with my answer.

“Noruit, that is ingenious! It is decided, the fair Lady shall sleep here in the square that my ancient forefathers built.” He and I turned, and walked back into the castle. He proceeded to the square, for he had to make the maiden realize that she was to sleep in the square. I retired to my quarters, to record the meeting. And here I sit, finishing this report. I am only curious to see how this relationship turns out.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Did you like it?