- Text Size +
Alex and Eryca were a young couple who seemed perpetually stuck in the 80’s. They lived in a one bedroom apartment which was decorated with posters and pictures of all sorts. On the door was an autographed poster from the concert Pink Floyd gave at the Berlin Wall. There were various other AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Foreigner, and Boston posters around the apartment.

The main room was divided in half by the kitchen counter. Next to the kitchen counter was a small card table with a stool and a folding chair at it. The rest of the main room consisted solely of a TV, a couch, a recliner, as well as a large stack of Video Games, DVDs and Movies by the TV.

The room was rather dim at the moment, the only light in the room coming from the static on the TV. The steady glow illuminated the dark carpet and grey walls. The occasional drip drip of a leaky faucet could be heard along with the staticy noise coming from the television set.

Alex lay on the couch in a deep slumber. He was clad in not more than a wife beater and some boxers. He was 18 and of Mexican descent. He was the one most clearly stuck in the 80’s--as was easily seen when looking at his lengthy mullet. He was an aspiring writer, but until he wrote something to get published, he worked at a theme park in the area as a costumed character for $7 an hour. It was unbearably hot, but they needed the money.

Eryca walked into the room and saw Alex was asleep. She was about the same height as Alex--5’4”ish. Eryca was a Filipina and looked very Asian with dark skin. She had shoulder length dark brown hair with highlights in it. At the moment she wore one of Alex’s black Led Zeppelin shirts that came down to her knees.

She smiled as she approached him with a blanket--she knew he’d be asleep on the sofa. They knew each other well enough to almost predict what the other was going to do. She slowly crept up to him and put his red blanket over him. Alex’s eyes fluttered open.

“Hey, sweetie,” Eryca said, smiling down at him.

“Hey,” he whispered groggily.

“What are you doing sleeping on the couch?”

“I got home late--James called in sick and couldn’t come to relieve me, he’s got the flu or something. I didn’t wanna wake you,” Alex said with a sleepy smile, adjusting himself on the sofa. His eyes drifted to the static on the TV. “Shit… I forgot to pay the cable bill again, didn’t I?”

“Yes, but its ok. That’s what we have all these movies for, isn’t it,” she said, smiling lovingly at him. Alex smiled back.

“I love you,” he said.

“I love you too,” she said.

Alex pushed himself against the back of the sofa, making room for Eryca. She smiled and curled up on the sofa with him.

“So, did that publishing company write you back?”

“Unfortunately, yes,” Alex said with a sigh as he wrapped an arm around Eryca.

“What happened?”

“They hated it. The only thing I’ve been able to publish was that children’s story with the vampire that I wrote. I’m starting to think I should stop waiting for my big break and maybe get a real job,” he said with a sigh.

“Hey… look at me,” Eryca said. Alex obliged. “Never say that. You’re a talented author. I love everything you write, and I’m sure I’m not the only one. One day you’ll get published, and it’ll be a best seller. Then you can tell these publishing companies to go shove it up their ass.” Alex laughed. Eryca kissed him.

“Thanks, dear… you always know how to make me feel better.”

“I do what I can.”

As they held each other tighter, their dog Spike woke up and decided to join in on the fun. He jumped on top of them and started licking Alex’s face.

“Heh. Hey, boy. How you doin’,” Alex said, scratching him behind the ear.

“He misses you. You’ve been working really long hours lately. And he’s not the only one who misses you.”

“Hey, I’d be home more if I could, dear. But we need the money or we’re gonna lose this place… man this is sad… here we are in the prime of our lives and already worrying about losing our place. I certainly never envisioned this in my future.”

“Me neither, but it’s fine with me. You know why?”

“Why?”

“Because I’m spending it with you. And as long as we’re together, everything will be fine.”

“I love you so much, Eryca.” They kissed.

“Alex, when’s your next day off?”

“A few days. Why?”

“I think you need to take Spike to the vet.”

“Why, what’s wrong with ol’ Spike?”

“I think he’s getting a cold.”