- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Story 29:  Pachelbel's Canon

Freak Boy’s caravan had hooked up with many others. Travelling with him, in addition to Chuck, Andy, Pete, Dr. Griggs, Toni, and Kelsey, were now: James Koulav and Josephine Rodriguez, Barbara Barra, Steven and Jade.

Steven and Jade, shortly after hooking up, decided to head to New Orleans to see if Jade’s family survived the disaster. All forms of long distance communication--dixie cups and string excluded--had been eliminated, and the biggest worry for Jade was her family. On the way to New Orleans, they bumped into Freak Boy’s group near Nashville, Tennessee. Deciding that maybe DC would be a better destination than New Orleans, Steven talked Jade into going with them.

The group continued traveling and along the Tennessee/North Carolina/Virginia border James, Josephine, and Barbara joined the group. They were about a week away from Harrisonburg right now. It was three in the morning, but everyone was wide awake. Nobody knew why exactly. Freak Boy had set up a nice campfire, and everyone was just relaxing. Suddenly, Barbara’s pale, lifeless blue eyes rolled back in her head. She rose to her feet and in a strange, seemingly inhuman voice, she began to utter what sounded like a prayer. Nobody knew what was going on, and then she began speaking a rhythmic chant.

“And so from the ashes of the world shall rise newfound glory,
And peace shall spread. But balance must return to yang and yin
And so shall rise a dark figure, with his horsemen from the story.
Only the chosen few shall see the darkness that doth surround him.

“The scribe, the warrior, the vagrant, the minstrel and his maiden,
The philosopher, the officer, and the disciples of Thespis--though they be burden laden
Shall boldy set about their task, and the evil they shall fight,
Whilst all remain oblivious to this plight,

“And while they stand alone against a man loved by the world
Someday shall be revealed they are the heralds of the lord.
Though martyrs they shall be,
‘Tis they who shall set us free.” Barbara then fell to the ground unconscious.

“What the hell was that,” James said as he rushed to try and help her.

“Maybe she’s goin’ nuts--”

“Nuts, my ass,” Freak Boy growled. “That was… a prophecy, or some shit like that.”

“Or some shit like that,” Kelsey said, quirking a brow. “My… aren’t we enlightened.”

“Shut up, at least I’m trying…”

James managed to shake Barbara awake. She sat up, clasping her temples. “What happened… ugh, my head…”

“Are you kidding,” Chuck began. “You just--”

“Wait,” Freak Boy shouted, silencing everyone. “You don’t remember anything?”

“I remember watching the crackling of the fire, relaxing… and then getting a wicked headache… that’s it.”

Freak Boy sat, silent for a few moments. “You got a migraine, I guess. You must’ve passed out.” Everyone remained silent. “Ok, light out. Goodnight everyone.” Freak Boy put out the fire and everyone did their best to sleep. At around 5am everyone but Freak Boy and Kelsey were asleep.

“Any reason you didn’t tell her?”

“… don’t want to scare her… or the others. With any luck we can forget this ever happened…”

“What if it was some sort of prophecy… maybe God is speaking through this woman.”

“God… the same God that killed every 9 out of 10 people on the planet?”

“The same God that spared you and me from the same fate of those 9 out of 10 people.”

“I don’t think that we were spared… I think we are a plague--mankind is the cancer of the planet. Perhaps Earth needed to start over again--give itself a few thousand years to heal itself from our devestation… this wasn’t an act of God, it was history repeating itself--albeit a bit later than usual. We were long overdue for some sort of natural disaster for population control…”

“You’re changing the subject, Freak Boy.”

“Sorry… as for the prophecy… well I’m a bit scared.”

“How so?”

“‘Only the chosen few shall see the darkness that doth surround him.

‘The scribe, the warrior, the vagrant, the minstrel and his maiden,
The philosopher, the officer, and the disciples of Thespis’, she said. Those parts about a scribe and disciples of Thespis have me worried.”

“Why?”

“You and I are disciples of Thespis--and I’m technically a scribe, since I can only assume that the modern day equivalent of scribe is writer.”

“So… we’re chosen few? Survivors?”

“Not according to the next part of that lovely little poem… don’t you remember?”

“Not everyone remembers everything they hear, Freak Boy… I don’t think I’ve met anyone with such an acute phonographic memory as you.” Freak Boy sighed. “Well, what did the next part of the poem say?”

Freak Boy was hesitant, but finally conceded. “I suppose you need to know… she said…”

“Yes?”

“Though martyrs they may be.”