- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Beth sits down for a cup of coffee and thinks back to how her nice, Beverly, started her carrer as one of her most successfulrecruiters

As Beth began vacuuming the floor in front of the bookcase she looked around the room, she still couldn’t believe how organized every part of the room was in contrast to the floor. She turned of the vacuum and put it out in the hall, then picked up the laundry basket and headed down stairs. She dropped the laundry basket next to the washer. Melissa’s basket was sitting on top of it and it had obviously just been started.

She went into the kitchen and poured a cup of coffee, as she was reading the paper  she got a text from her assistant “Stopping by the office for some things, then headed to your place to discuss newest hires -Sheila”

Beth sent a confirmation text and sighed, she didn’t really like discussing work in her home for fear of how her daughter’s might react, then she paused. Since her stepson was apparently out of town, quite possibly for the week, maybe it was time to have her recruiter, Beverly (who also happened to be her niece), come by.

She sighed and picked up her phone and dialed her niece……


Two years earlier….

Beverly Jacob’s sat in her aunt Beth’s office at N.G.C. her Aunt’s personal assistant was leaning on the desk facing her. Beverly wasn’t quite sure why she had been summoned, and she was getting nervous.

“Relax Beverly you’re not in trouble.” the tall thin blonde woman assured her.

Beth cleared her throat and said “Ok, uh, Beverly I’d like you to meet Sheila she’s…” Beverly cocked her head wondering why her aunt seemed so nervous.

“Ok, look you’ve been in our science division for three years now, and you’re doing phenomenal. But Sheila here thinks you could potentially be of more use in our recruitment division.”
Beverly frowned confused, “I thought I was going to be promoted to one of the science department heads next month.” she said.

Sheila smiled at her “You were, but as it turns out you have certain innate gifts that would be far more useful in recruitments. I’m certain you’ll like it, you’ll get to travel and when you’re not in the field you’ll still be allowed to work the labs with full supervisory benefits.”

Beverly blinked part of her liked the idea of being able to get out of the labs once in a while, then she realized that Sheila’s mouth had never moved, she had been speaking directly to her mind!”

She started to speak and Sheila smiled speaking out loud “Beverly the truth is I’m a very powerful witch, I may not look it but I’m over a hundred years old, I have a keen eye for talent. Beverly with Just a little bit of training you can be an incredibly powerful telepath. If you’re willing I will train you, when we’re done you’ll be able to speak with others just as I did with you just now, the reason this will make you such a great recruiter will be your ability to sense men who have been changed into objects, as well as the women responsible. So what do you think?”

Beverly looked at her Aunt, then back to Sheila, she rather liked the idea of being able to sense the terror and despair of the various men ho had been turned into object’s amused her, after a moment’s thought she smiled “Ok, on one condition, I want to be able to bring specimens in as well.”

Sheila laughed “Of course!”

She looked at Beth who smiled at her “OK, I guess if you’re ready you can follow Sheila and get started right away!”

Chapter End Notes:

Next chapter: we check back in with our narrator as he continues his quest for help....