- Text Size +

Charlie recited the words he was about to tell his longtime girlfriend, as he walked down the high school hallway.  He held a bouquet of flowers in one hand and in the other he had a ring.  Wanting to surprise his girlfriend, or soon to be wife, he drove to her job at John Richards’s high school.  Charlie was as excited as he was scared.  What if Jessica said no? 

Not wanting to dwell on what ifs, Charlie took a left at a turn heading toward the science wing of the building.  He ran into one of the Janitors, Mike.  Waving to him he said hello.  Charlie knew most of the staff by now, considering he has been dating Jessica for about 2 years.  One of the first people he befriends here was Mike: a middle aged man who was always smiled and all around nice kind of person. 

Mike didn’t respond as he had his head phones on and mopping up some kind of liquid on the ground.  Charlie didn’t stop to shoot the breeze with him, he was on a mission.  Charlie went to a door that had the numbers 152 on them, Jessica’s room.  Smiling to himself he was about to enter when he thought better, what if she is teaching.  School was still going on right now and for him to barge in and announce his undying love to her, it may be a little too much for her.

Deciding on waiting for after the students to leave, Charlie waited outside the door.  After a while the bell rang.  All of a sudden all the doors in the hall way opened up and kids started to pour out, shouting louder than need be.  Charlie waited until all the students left and headed into the room.  Not wanting to waste time, because the next class was about to start in less than 5 minutes. 

Charlie walked into Jessica’s room and looked around.  It was completely empty of human life.  Jessica must have used the second door on the other side of the classroom to leave.  Depressed that he missed his chance, Charlie decided to wait until she came back.  Walking around, he examined Jessica’s desk at the front of the classroom.  There were some chemicals on the desk as an example for the students to follow for whatever experiment taking place.

Continuing his exploration of the classroom, Charlie walked past some work benches that still had chemicals on them.  As he pasted by one of them he caught the smile of cinnamon apple.  “What…” Charlie smelled closer and lifted the beaker up to his noise and took a deep sniff.  Yep, cinnamon apple; odd, how do you make… there was the sound of footsteps approaching the classroom.

Charlie turned around and quickly shouted to the women approaching, “Will you marry me!”

Slowly the girl walked in looking shocked.  Charlie let out a groan, it wasn’t Jessica … it was Sammy.

“Well of course, but you have to wait until I complete high school first,” she said in a sly voice.

“Oh it’s you…” Sammy was one of Jessica’s brightest students, yet she was always staying late and getting tutoring from Jessica after class.  This caused the two of them to meet.  Sammy was a nice girl but there was something about her that Charlie didn’t like.  Not to mention she always flirted with him every single second.  Charlie told this to Jessica but she dismissed it saying that she was just teasing you.

“Are those flowers for me?” she asked in a playful manner.

“No.  Have you seen Jessica?  I have something important to say-”

Sammy let a gasp out, “YOUR GOING TO PROPOSE TO HER!?”

“Shhh, Shut up!” Charlie hissed at her.  “It’s supposed to be a surprise and I don’t need you ruining it for Jessica with your big mouth.”

Sammy rolled her eyes, “How long have you two been seeing each other?” she asked curious.

“That’s none of your business but if you must know… 2 years.”

“2 YEARS!  And it took you this long to ask?  Wow I would be surprised if she was surprised.”

“Hey I was waiting for the right moment,” Charlie tried to explain.

She rolled her eyes again, “Riiiight… the perfect moment.”

“There’s nothing wrong with waiting for the right time to ask the one you love to marry you.  Anyway were did Jessica go anyway?”

“Don’t know, I was dropping by to turn in some school work,” turning around Sammy dropped some paper on Jessica’s desk.  “By the way it’s her lunch right now, so she probably won’t be back for a bit.”  Sammy then started to head out of the room.

“Hey, Sammy,” Sammy turned around.  “Please don’t tell her, ok?  I want her to be surprised ok?”

“Charlie,” she said drawling his name out, “It’s me...” she then left the classroom.

Under his breathe he said, “I know, that’s why I’m worried.”

Charlie went to go sit down in the teacher’s chair and wait for Jessica he placed the ring in his pocket and put the flowers on the desk.  He let out a yawn.  Wow, Charlie thought, why do I feel so tired… Charlie slowly started to drift to sleep.