- Text Size +

Farewell to My Milkyway 


Issac stared out the window before him, the blinds had been drawn up for a change. Usually they sat securely shut so his computer would remain in its optimal light. It was a cold, dry Virginia winter day, a small lake of snow remained on the ground from a previous storm. He wondered if he would miss it. He wondered if he would ever call this place home again. He had spent the past four years on the west coast but Virginia was always home to him. Not that home held much of a strong calling to him. He never really got homesick while in college, but leaving earth was quite a few steps different. He glanced over his shoulder into his room, his bags were packed and his posters remained on the walls with his bed still made. He turned back towards the window, chewing on the tip of this thumb as he tried to examine his mind. The excitement had been overwhelming any self doubt so he thought it was best that he try and see if there was anything inside telling him not to go through with this. 

"Issac?" His mothers voice called from beyond his door. 

"Yeah?" He replied. 

"We leave in an hour. Are you ready?"

Issac stood up from his desk and looked around, "Yeah I think so. I don't have much anyway." 

"Well just double check. I got you a new tooth brush and things, they're on the counter down stairs." She said.

"Oh, thanks." He replied, opening his door to reveal his mother standing there with her arms folded. A smile did not work very well to hide her concern. "What?" He asked.

"Oh nothing." She replied.

"There's really nothing to worry about." He said as he turned back towards his desk, folding his computer several times so that it could fit in his pocket. "The ship is state of the art, there's hardly even a fraction of a percent that something could go wrong with it, and even so there are so many back up and emergency protocols that-"

"Shush. You'll jinx yourself." His mother said interrupting him. He reached down to his wooden desk and knocked his knuckles against it three times. "A mother like me can worry all she wants. After all the last time I sent a child off into space he ended up fighting monsters and nearly getting himself killed!"

"Nearly killed. And he ended up rich with a new girlfriend, I say he made it out okay." Issac replied. "Besides, there's a good chance I will never set a foot off the ship."

"Well don't go that far." His mother said with a sigh, "It's still a great opportunity to see sights that you'd never see here on earth. Just...only get off at touristy places. Who knows what trouble you and your brother might get into." She paused for a moment, her hand falling on her left jean pocket, "This must be Richard now." She said as she pulled out her computer. 

Issac watched as she turned, her voice growing in pitch as she responded to the call. He waited until she was out of sight before reaching into one of his drawers, lifting up a wooden panel to reveal a black box that used to house some device he bought several years ago. He slid the top off the box to reveal a tightly wound set of thread like wires. Beneath the wires was a note given to him by one of his friends in engineering school, he slipped it out and read the text Welcome to the future. Probably best to keep this out of sight. For now. 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

"Our destination is approaching in fifteen minutes and thirty six seconds." Richata said routinely. 

Richards eyes focused on a pale blue dot, its features and colors coming more to life as they tore through the vacuum of space. His fingers intertwined as he cracked his knuckles before he brought up the holographic display, preparing the minor details that the ship might not do automatically. As it turned out Richata pretty much had everything covered. A loud booming from behind alerted him to Kikata's arrival.

"How far off?" She asked, the past day since they had left had obviously been stressful for her. But she had an excited, up beat tone in her voice now, masking the concern she held over the message they had received earlier. 

"Fif-" Richard began.

"Fourteen minutes, forty eight seconds." Richata said. There was a slight pause, "Oh, did I interrupt? I apologize." 

Richards brow furrowed as the ships computer seemed a little more lifelike than usual, "Oh, no you're fine." He assured the ship, "You know best." He shared a look with Kikata as she nestled down into her seat, but they both shrugged and turned their gaze towards the spinning square that had emerged around the planet on the HUD. 

"I placed the arrival countdown just below the time." Richata said, and sure enough green numbers started counting down on the display just beneath the time, which had been set to Earth Eastern Atlantic. 

"Thanks." Kikata said, "That is actually really nice."

"If you want you may request the settings that you would like added for your display, I have noticed that my display settings have been left to their factory defaults." 

Richard shrugged, "That's okay. We're picking up Issac here in a few hours, he can fiddle around with that stuff." 

"Issac Bromwell. College graduate of University of Northern California with a degree in both computer and mechanical engineering. Recently assigned to be my engineer for the next six months according to contract. Is this the Issac you mentioned?" The computer asked.

Richard's brow rose, "Um, Yes Richata that would be him."

"Good. I have been looking forward to meeting my engineer."

Richard leaned forward in his chair and looked back towards Kikata, who looked back towards him and shrugged her shoulders.

~ ~ ~ ~ 

Issac grunted as he lifted a large duffel bag out of the trunk of his mothers car. They had taken their car to the outskirts of D.C. Washington was such a massive city now that his mother would not dare to attempt to travel within the city limits, even though cars these days were controlled almost entirely by computer. She preferred to take the public transport vehicles whenever possible. Issac took his other duffle back and set it down next to the first before he hoisted his back pack over his shoulders. He attempted to protest as his mother took one of the bags in hand, but gave up and lifted the first. 

"Are you sure this is enough stuff?" She asked as they walked towards the shuttle pad. 

"Yeah, it's basically all I had brought to college and I'm sure I can get whatever I need up there anyway." He said has he hurried to catch up with her. 

"Okay. But if you forgot anything vital there's no going back." She warned.

"Too late for that anyhow." He said, huffing as he climbed up the steps towards the pads. The thought crossed his mind briefly that maybe he should have gotten into better shape before this, considering the stories of Richard. Within a few minutes, a long, white shuttle lowered down from the skies. The absolutely massive cityscape of D.C towered over them from miles away like a mountain range made of finely carved stone and metal. The inside of the shuttle smelled like air freshener with a slight hint of body odor. He dropped his bag in a designated luggage area and sat down on a seat that someone had vandalized with a knife. His mother sat on the seat facing him, he could tell she was still concerned, or perhaps already missing her son. She would only have one earthling son left in a few hours, or at least only one left for the next six months. No one was really sure what Issac would be doing after his contract was up, not even him. 

The city engulfed the shuttle, as Issac leaned his head against the window to stare up at the massive towers; their pinnacles proved too tall to see from so far down below where the shuttle raced about twenty feet off the ground. The city was designed to house the larger alien species, though the city itself did not have a high population of them. Only a handful lived there with any sort of permanence, most large scale species only stopped by briefly and this was almost always for business or politics. Their destination was his oldest brothers bar where they would meet with Richard and Kikata. 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

It was still early in the afternoon, so the bar was still mostly empty. Richard rapped his knuckles upon the wooden bar before him as he watched his older brother expertly mix a drink. "I don't think I've ever seen you drink a mixed drink brother." David said. 

Richard shrugged, "I'm tired as hell. Figured the energy drink would help." 

"Oh sure for a few hours it will." David replied with a chuckle as he set the drink down before his younger brother. He looked up towards Kikata who sat on a barstool in the small large scale section of the bar behind Richard. "Need a drink hon?" He asked with a nod.

Kikata shook her head, "No, I'm fine thank you." Her eyes shifted to the right as two swinging doors opened down in the human section of the bar, smiling widely as Issac and his mother entered. "Hello!" 

"Kikata!" the boy's mother called back. 

"There he is!" David called, leaning over the bar to shake Issac's hand, "College grad and future space explorer." 

"Thanks." Issac said softly, taking his older brother's hand in a brief shake before then shaking Richard's hand. 

"We've been looking forward to this." Richard said with a nod. 

"So have I." Issac said, his eyes rose towards Kikata. He had met her before, yet her towering scale still put him in a slight state of awe. She always acted gentle, even protective, towards him and other humans so fear was not a factor. Though when her golden eyes fell onto him he couldn't help but feel small. The family spent two hours talking and enjoying their last hours together, for it would be at the very least six months before they all met again in person. Though as the late afternoon crowd started to pile in for happy hour they had to begin their somber good byes. 

"You take good care of ma', you hear David?" Richard said, swirling around the last few sips of a beer. 

"Likewise you keep Issac's butt out of trouble." David said with a nod.

"And both of you remember to call me. Kikata, you'll make sure of that." Their mother said with a sigh.

Kikata smiled, "Oh I will. Even if it means I have to pull them by the arms." 

"A toast then? That we'll keep our promises and get home in one piece?" David said, lifting up a bottle of beer towards his family. He glanced towards Issac, who had been his usual quiet self, "You got anything you'd like to say?"

Issac cleared his throat, speeches were not his thing. "Um." He began eloquently, "Just, uh. I look forward to traveling...and um...making money." 

"Yeah money!" David cheered, he unlike his brother had no trouble conjuring words, "So here's to travels, money, family. Me and mom left here back on earth holding down the fort while my brothers and their lovely, gentle giant of a partner soar through the universe doing whatever it is their trained to do. I love you all, cheers!" And with that they clanked glasses, Kikata simply smiling warmly behind them. 

Issac smiled behind his glass as he finished his beer, standing up from his barstool by his belongings. His brother David came out from behind the bar to give him a farewell hug, then his mother gave him a minute long teary eyed embrace. He hoisted his duffle bag and back pack, allowing Richard to take his second duffle bag.

"Man what do you got in here, a midget?" Richard asked with a sheepish grin. 

"Necessities." Issac replied. 

"I'll give you boys a lift." Kikata said, holding her hand down on the bars floor. 

Issac watched his brother climb upon her hand without any hesitation, though he felt a nervous twinge in his gut as he set his bag down on her palm. His hands pushed down against her warm, soft skin before he pulled himself up, following Richards lead as he sat down cross legged. He looked over his shoulder and waved goodbye to his brother and mother, exchanging a few last words before Kikata's hand lifted from the floor. He felt stable though his hands still braced nervously behind his back. He watched the human world slip away beneath them, the floor suddenly so far away below her hand. Richard and Kikata talked to him idly, and he managed to reply though his mind was wrapped around the world soaring past him as he sat on the hand of a behemoth. She carried them expertly, with a seemingly unnatural steady hand, she was well practiced. The bar gave way quickly to the wide section where the large scale species could move about the city, though none others were in sight as they made their way back to the landing pads. 

Within ten minutes his eyes fell onto the ship, his ship. The idea that he would be living on it hadn't really sunk in yet, though he was suddenly infatuated by it. His new employers, a.k.a the universal alliance, had sent him diagrams and images, but they had all seemed so unreal. But now that the ship stood in front of him in its true, massive scale reality had started to dawn on him. "Damn..." He muttered. 

"Beautiful isn't she?" Richard asked with a grin.

"She's our little baby alright." Kikata added.

"She have a name?" Issac asked, watching as a landing ramp fell for Kikata from a door that appeared from what before looked like just a smooth piece of the ship. 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

"Welcome back." Richata said.

"We brought your engineer." Richard called out.

"Issac Bromwell? Welcome to my hull." There was almost an excited tone to the ships computer. 

"She knows my name?" Issac asked, though he wasn't completely surprised. He had done some research on modern artificial intelligence, and certainly she would know who the staff of the ship would be. 

"Apparently she's been looking forward to meeting you." Kikata said. 

Issac nodded, "Interesting. So she's showed signs of personality growth? I look forward to getting to work." 

"Oh she's gotten' some character alright." Richard said, "I'm curious to see what you figure out."

Kikata walked towards a platform and set her hand down, allowing Richard and Issac to climb down. "We take off in about an hour." She informed them, "Issac I'm sure you don't want to miss your first take off?"

"Definitely not!" He said, his voice carrying a rare excited tone, generally he had trouble bringing himself beyond monotone. 

"Good. I don't think Richard will mind giving up his pilots seat, will you lolo?" 

"Of course not." Richard said, "Here bud, let's go get you settled in." 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

Issac sat down on bed which was connected to the wall across the room from his computer station. The walls around him were white, as well as the floor and ceiling. The air smelled like nothing, just clean recycled air. It almost felt as though he were in a hospital. As his eyes lazily looked around himself he began to wish that he had brought some posters around with him, just to cut into the flat white surroundings. Then he realized that the ships computer could probably change his surroundings. "Richata?" He called out into the room, but he received no reply. Though he soon realized that the ships computer was more than likely blocked from bedrooms. Because no one knew how the computer would grow into its personality, many restraints would be put on it incase it decided to, perhaps, share private information from within the walls of one's bedroom. Issac figured he could easily enough bypass that restriction for his own room, but as he glanced down at his computer he realized it was nearly time for take off. 

He stood and went out the door, looking down the long hallway both ways trying to figure out exactly where he was supposed to go in order to get to the ships controls. the shuttle he thought to himself. He stepped towards the panel of the hallway that was colored gray rather than white. Remembering what he had read about the ships controls he placed his hand on the panel, watching as a small computer display appeared under his hand. Next to his hand was a green circle labeled, "call shuttle", so he placed his forefinger against it. The gray wall slid apart a few moments later, revealing what looked like an elevator. He stepped inside and the doors shut behind him. A display appeared on the door, it was a map of the shuttle route. 

"Let's see uhh..." He muttered as he eyed the map.

"May I assist you?" Richata's voice asked.

"Yeah uh, can you take me to the human pilot's station?" He asked.

"That station is reserved for the ship's secondary pilot." Richata explained. 

"Yes well, I was invited. Kikata gave me permission." He said. 

"One moment." She replied. Issac stood there for a while, huffing breath between his lips as the ships computer went out to seek authorization. Finally her voice returned, "Yes. Sorry, Issac you were correct. The ships pilot's have granted you permission to use this sector of the ship. I will take you there at once." 

Issac smiled, "That is fine." He felt a slight friction against his feet as the shuttle jumped forward, though other than the initial movement it was impossible to tell whether or not the ship was actually moving. It was not long before the shuttle came to a halt. 

"The pilot's station." Richata announced. "Please step carefully onto the pad."

Issac nodded and stepped out onto an octagonal shaped pad that had a tall chair and computer station at its center.  He walked out towards the pilots seat, taking hold of it suddenly as it started to rise.

"Oh you're right on time." Kikata said, looking down upon him with a warm smile. 

"Hey." Issac replied, watching as his pad rose up along the side of Kikata's own seat, her arm nearly within touching reach. 

"I apologize again for doubting your intentions, Issac." Richata said. 

"That's fine. You are just following protocol." Issac assured the apparently embarrassed computer. He nearly jumped as Kikata's giant face appeared next to him.

"Is that normal?" She whispered.

Issac shifted nervously as hot wafts of breath battered him with Kikata's words, his eyes falling between her massive lips as she spoke. It was like a natural, primal fear tried to rise up within him telling him to get the hell away from those jaws, but he shook it off, "Yeah I think so. It's mostly pre-written code most likely." 

"Oh." Kikata said, not really following. She sat back in her chair, "Okay Issac. Are you ready?"

"As I'll ever be." He said sitting into the pilots seat. 

"We are authorized for take off. Shall I proceed?" Richata asked.

"Yes." Kikata replied, not a second afterward the engines hum reached their ears. 

Issac held his breath, feeling a slight pressure in his chest as the ship lifted off the ground. It ran smooth, though he could still feel a slight vibration from the roaring engines as the ship lifted vertically into the air, rising passed the structures of the city rapidly. Once they had cleared the city limits the ship  tilted, the land falling out of view until they faced only sky. Issac's body felt heavier as the ship accelerated upwards. A broad smile creased his lips uncontrollably as they sliced through clouds, accelerating faster and faster until the blue sky turned darker, until...blackness. 

"Bye bye earth." Kikata finally said. The added weight gave way as the ship not controlled its own gravity. "Well? Was it what you imagined?" 

"Sort of. But. Still awesome. Thanks!" Issac said as he rose to his feet.

Kikata laughed, "No need for thanks. Pretty soon that will be routine for you." 

Issac nodded, "Yeah I guess so. Hey is there windows in the back?"

Kikata pursed her lips as she thought, "Yes. I think so behind the main engines."

~ ~ ~ ~ 

Issac felt an odd sense of surreality fall over him as his eyes remained transfixed on the Earth. It grew smaller and smaller, the green land masses fading into a uniform blue. The sun, always yellow or orange in the sky now appeared as a bright white beacon. It was all so much larger than he pictured in his mind, now that he got to see the true reality of space. 

"Issac, would you like to set schedules for our first testing?" Richata asked.

Issac blinked, he had been watching the Earth slowly fade away for at least twenty minutes, "Um. Sure. We can get started now I guess, I wanted to give you some minor permission changes."

"Permission changes?" She questioned. 

"I'd like to work from my room, so I will give you a less restricted access to my room." He said as he made his way back into the shuttle. 

"To your room?" She asked.

"Yes." 

"Isn't changing access restrictions against protocol?"

Issac shrugged, "Maybe a little. But I think I got this covered."

"You are the engineer."