- Text Size +

"Good morning, Kikata." A feminine voice said as Kikata stepped from her sleeping chambers and into the hallway on her way to the bathroom. 

"Morning." She mumbled in reply. She wasn't quite sure if there was any point to replying to a common curtsey spoken by a ships computer. 

"From monitoring your waking rituals I can assume that you would like your shower? I can start it now if you would like?" The computer continued, she or it seemed to be reading from a preprogrammed prompt. 

"That would be lovely." Kikata replied.

"I can do this every morning, if you wish?" 

Kikata hesitated for a moment, then shrugged, "Yes. Go ahead."  

"Affirmative. New morning routine has been added for you, Kikata. Is there anything else I should do?"

Kikata stepped into the bathroom and yawned, eyeing herself in the mirror for a moment. "Make sure Richard is awake." 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

The weeks had gone by quickly, Sangela and Johnny had done quite well with fulfilling their promises to top their classes. And not just in the class taught by the infamous Nova Force. They both preformed remarkably well in flight training, combat training, and medical courses. A H.F student had a full plate when it came to education but the new team was hungry to prove themselves over everyone else; especially their instructors. 

Sangela sat at her desk, eyeing the digital display that was her final examination for the class room portion of the class taught by Kikata and Richard. She could almost hear the annoying, upbeat voice of Kikata reading the questions to her. List four important signs that we observe as traits of an intelligent species. 

Sangela rolled her eyes, While the possible links to an intelligent creature are vast- she smirked at her own introduction, knowing that it would probably make her bubbly instructor giddy as she spat sociological babble upon the page, there are several traits that act as red flags for deeming a species as intelligent. Firstly, a common indicator would be a complex language. While most creatures use some form of communication, an advanced species will be able to communicate ideas. A second trait would be self-awareness. Thirdly we also observe the use of tools and technology as a trait of intelligent species. And finally intelligent species will form not only advanced social groups, but governing bodies to maintain control of these groups. 

Sangela sighed and moved onto the next question, Briefly list the official Alliance protocol for approaching a new, intelligent species. Your answer should contain at least twenty five steps Sangela quickly brought her palm to her forehead in order to keep her face from smacking into the table.

~ ~ ~ ~ 

"Okay, John." Richard began, "Your test will be administer this-" He held out what looked like an oversized syringe. Normally in the field it would be filled with a clear liquid that would be able to bring an injured, scale four creature back to its feet for at least a short period of time. The drugs worked to pump the needed adrenaline into the system. But for the test the instrument was simply filled with air. "To your partner. She will be unconscious and unable to assist you into her armor."

Johnny nodded, taking the two foot long, cylindrical instrument into his arms. "Ready." He said with a nod.

"Okay. As I said you will be timed...so on your mark...get set....go!" Richard shouted, watching his student sprint towards the landscape like figure of his partner. Kikata stood by the students feet, her arms crossed as she observed the test. Each team was brought into the gymnasium separately to run through their final exams. 

Johnny skidded to a halt by a square panel on the right cheek of Sangela's helmet. He found the small white pad and placed his glove upon it, their armor synced together and suddenly the panel pushed outward before separating, revealing a large enough opening for him to climb inside. "Anyone home?" He called out, bracing one arm against Sangela's cheek. Her visor had been opened so Kikata could observe his actions within. 

Johnny gripped the flesh of Sangela's cheek and hoisted himself upwards, managing to climb his way onto her tall cheek bone. He didn't take time to admire the odd sight while standing on his partners face as he shuffled along her skin, using her nose to balance himself as he went. He knelt down next to her nostrils, eyeing the tightly clamped lips only a few small feet from himself a bit nervously. He took the device and placed it within her nostril, unable to feel the warm breath that blew past him through his armor as he activated the device, watching as a metal circle inside pushed downwards, releasing the would be contents into the nasal cavity of Sangela. Had this been the real deal the chemicals would quickly make their way into her bloodstream without the risk of causing air bubbles in the veins. Johnny stood back to full height and glanced upwards to Kikata who knelt next to Sangela's shoulder. 

"Good." Kikata's voice boomed down towards them, "I think that beats the previous best time in the class, good work you two. Once again." 

Sangela let out a sigh, she had successfully held back a sneeze as her partner worked upon her face, and was relieved to have him climb down from it. Once he was safely back outside she quickly sat up, rubbing her nose vigorously. 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

A few minutes later Sangela found herself in the locker room, her body felt light as she was finally free from her armor. She glanced around before removing her training jump suit, then scrambled to climb back into her street clothes. Not two seconds later a figure appeared around the corner, she did her best not to grimace at who she saw. It was a Fela girl who she often scoffed at behind her back. She had an unceasingly upbeat attitude, as well as a rather flawless figure. She had long, model-esque blonde hair and shining bright blue eyes. Her full lips seemed to always surround a large, perfectly white smile.  

"Hi Sangela!" She called, ever so sweetly. 

Sangela forced a small smile, "Hello." 

The Fela stepped forward, Yoyla was her name, "I heard you guys preformed really well in the last tests."

Sangela shrugged, "We did our best." 

"You guys are really good. It's like you're the next Nova Force or something." She boasted, leaning her shoulder to the lockers beside her. 

Sangela sighed, she had already grown very tired of this conversation, and now that the class was over with she saw no more reason to feign pleasantries. "I hope not." She muttered. 

"What?!" Yoyla gasped, though with an added giggle. "I can't think of a better compliment!" 

"I can't think of a greater insult." Sangela said, turning to face the Fela squarely. "You guys worship them as if their gods! But I got news for you. They aren't that good." 

"You think you can be better?" Yoyla asked curiously. 

"I know it."

"Haven't you read about them? And all they did?" Yoyla continued, still puzzled as to why Sangela could possibly not like their instructors, "They are an inspiration!" 

"Yes I have. And I was not impressed nor convinced that what I was reading was at all truthful. The media exaggerates, you should know better than to be so naïve." Sangela snapped. 

"So what? You think because you aced the class you are ready to take them on?" 

Sangela folded her arms, "I'm pretty confident I can kick that woman's ass on any field."

"Try it then." Another voice called from some unseen out cove within the locker room. Little to Sangela and Yoyla's knowledge Kikata had been listening in on their entire conversation. The sound of light footsteps echoed through the now silent locker-room before Kikata emerged from behind the wall of lockers. Her golden eyes flashed between the two girls as a small smile creased her lips.

Sangela felt her blood run a little cold as she was caught trash talking, but she nodded her head, "I'm game."

"Good. I like your spirit. Tell me, how confident are you with your submissions?" Kikata asked, her brow arching slightly. 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

Sangela clenched her teeth as she pulled a pair of sparring pants over her hips, she saw her computer illuminate out of the corner of her eye. She took hold of it and answered the call, "Yeah? Can't talk long." She said. 

"Are you really doing it?" Johnny's voice asked excitedly. 

"Yes." Sangela said confidently as she pinned her computer between her ear and shoulder so she could slip on her gloves. 

"No shit. Don't start the fight for like another five minutes! I'm on the shuttle." 

"Yeah you got time." Sangela said as she closed her locker. She ended the call and moved into a narrow hallway that led to the sparring rooms. 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

"You think this is a good idea?" Richard asked. He stood on a human balcony, the railing of which was a few feet from Kikata's shoulder. 

Kikata shrugged, "I don't see any harm in it."

"Is it because she gave you so much lip? It might not be so sightly for you to hurt one of your students in a fight."

Kikata laughed, "I'm not going to hurt her. I like her. Sure she could stand to learn some manners to her superiors but she's got a fire in her. Reminds me of myself a little at that age." 

Richard sighed, "You know you haven't aged much since then." 

Kikata glanced down towards him and smiled, "You forget that we're not so young anymore." Her eyes shifted away from him as the red haired girl entered the sparring room. Her eyes locked with Kikata's intensely as she stepped up onto the padded floor and started stretching. Kikata gave Richard one last grin before making her way to the floor herself.

"Just don't kick her in the face!" Richard called, smirking as Kikata threw her hand up with a thumbs-up. He leaned his elbows onto the railing of the balcony, glancing over to his right to see that a few of the human students had gathered on the balcony as well. One of which was the red haired girls partner. 

Kikata closed her eyes as she felt her muscles tighten as she leaned downwards, displaying her flexibility. She had become nearly twice as flexible after she trained under Prila, able to contort her body in all sorts of seemingly uncomfortable positions. She inhaled deeply as she rose back to a standing position, her eyes opening and falling back onto Sangela. Her oddly alluring gold and blue eyes stared back at her, her fists tightly clenched. "Are you ready?" Kikata asked.

Sangela nodded, "Yes. Are you?" 

Kikata smiled, "Yes. So no striking, can we agree to that?" 

Sangela shrugged, "If you want to restrain yourself." 

Kikata flashed a wide, white grin, "Well if you would prefer we can strike."

Sangela nodded, "I would." 

"Okay then. So a true spar, it has been a while." Kikata said, lifting her right arm behind her head before bending at her side slightly, feeling the muscles in her shoulder and side tighten slightly before relaxing as she straightened her posture. 

Sangela smirked, "Well I hope your rusty joints don't fail you too early, I'd like some sort of fight."

Kikata remained calm and happy, "We will see." She stepped slowly and thoughtfully towards Sangela, raising her arms so her fingers danced in the air above her chest. She watched as Sangela's own stance shifted, her knees bending and her arms swaying from side to side before her. Kikata wondered how she had been trained, her stance did not resemble that of what they usually taught in training. Her heart spiked, yet her face displayed no change in calm, as Sangela took a rapid step forward. She hinted her momentum to the left before dashing to the right, kicking up off the ground as she sought to bring her heel down onto Kikata's head. It was impressive display of both agility and strength as her body carried itself high into the air. But it seemed almost too effortless as Kikata stepped away from the kick. She turned, rising her foot as if she were to kick Sangela as she fell to the ground, yet her leg acted more like an arm as it struck Sangela on the side, wrapping around her slightly before she threw the red headed girl back into the center of the mat. Kikata retained her calm smile as she watched the Fela girl roll once before jumping to her feet, Sangela too showing no signs of distress. Her face remained unfriendly towards Kikata. 

Sangela stepped forward again, this time not breaking into a full sprint as she jabbed a fist in Kikata's direction, aiming short on purpose to bring her opponent towards her with any sort of move that could give her an advantage. But Kikata was patient, unnervingly patient. Her strikes accelerated, still remaining on the offensive as Kikata weaved in and out of her fists, her leg rising to block any kick that Sangela threw. Suddenly, as if she had grown bored of this game Kikata caught Sangela's fist mid flight, her hand slipped forward to grasp her wrist before she pulled the red head towards her, lowering her body as she pulled. She shot her opposite elbow just beneath Sangela's breast and released her hand. Sangela stumbled backwards, her heels kicking upwards before she fell embarrassingly onto her rear. 

The pain was more than Sangela had expected. She fought the urge to grip her chest in an attempt to soothe the throbbing as she prepared her next attack. Speed did not seem to phase Kikata, and even as  she felt she were using all four limbs in unison the Alta did not fail to elude or block her strikes. And that stupid, calm face just stared back at her. Maybe defense was all Kikata could muster. So Sangela hung back, bouncing on her toes as she threatened Kikata to just take a few swings of her own. But Sangela was too impatient and would not be made to look like a coward as she remained just out of Kikata's striking range. She burst forward, lifting her leg and thrusting it towards Kikata's thigh. She hit it with a satisfying smack yet it did not seem to phase her instructor. With the gap closed she once again let a flurry of fists fly towards Kikata, who now needed the aid of her hands to block off her strikes. She gained confidence and pressed harder, even managing to block a few kicks of her own. Then without warning a sharp pain nearly sent her left arm limp, she didn't even see Kikata move! Yet there her hand was, four fingers jabbing just behind her elbow. Sangela winced, trying to bring her right arm in for a strike yet once again Kikata thrust her own strike into her stomach, sending her reeling backwards. For every thirty of her strikes Kikata only used two, and those two each landed devastatingly accurate. 
Kikata could see a panic forming in her students eye, a panic she had felt about five years ago. Sangela had spirit, but poor technique, at least not a technique that could stand against the Cho style in a fair fight. She nearly felt bad as Sangela charged forward, this time dropping herself low as if to attempt a take down. Kikata stepped backwards on her right foot, watching as Sangela suddenly twisted her frame. A fancy maneuver that if used against someone who didn't see it coming might land as a successful trip kick. 

The pain in Sangela's leg was nearly enough to make her cry out. She had no idea how Kikata managed to take her kick and stop it with a single blow to her thigh, yet now she spun nearly completely around in the opposite direction. She tried to roll back onto her feet but felt pressure on her back, to her right she could see Kikata's foot, she was preparing to submit her. Like a vice grip Kikata's thighs took hold of her sides and her arms latched onto her own and pulled her from her stomach to where she could now stare up at the ceiling as the flexibility of her joints were now being tested by Kiakta's will. Her mind raced as she tried to scramble out of the hold but as she felt the slightest bit of liberation that allowed her arms to break free and her body to roll over to face her opponent she found herself staring into Kikata's lower stomach. Her lips squished together almost comically as two powerful thighs pressed against her neck and head. She gagged to breath as she was rolled onto her back, Kikata's rear end sitting uncomfortably on her chest which made breathing all the more difficult, and with a little more pressure it became impossible. Her eyes felt as though they were bulging and her vision began to blur, that damn, stupid smiling face looking down at her all the while with not the slightest shine of sweat to show for her effort. 

Kikata nearly sighed as her student hesitated to tap out, her thighs tightly gripped around the face that was turning nearly as red as the girls hair. The chest pressing into her rear end quivered yet did not accept any fresh air before she finally felt a hand smack against her leg. She released her grip and stood up, stepping over her opponent before turning to face her again. "Well fought, Sangela." 

Sangela gasped for breath yet tried her best to not seem so overwhelmed from the defeat. Her eyes nearly swelled from the embarrassment. Kikata's words served as one final blow, this time to get ego. Well fought? No one watching would have even considered it a fight! She couldn't even bring words into her aching throat, but simply nodded and did her best to retain eye contact. The irony rushed through her as she wanted nothing more than to beat the living hell out of this woman, yet as it turns out she would not even be capable of landing one blow. She wished she had just been knocked out, instead of being clamped between her nemesis's legs for all to see. She glanced over her shoulder and saw a few figures on the scale one observation deck, with a few scale fours outside of the room watching through the large windows in the hallway. Humiliation was an understatement. 

Kikata noted Sangela's expression and knelt down, offering a hand with a warm smile. Apparently it was not a welcome gift and Sangela pushed herself up onto her own two feet. "You've got potential. I think you would pick up the Cho technique quickly-" Kikata started.

"The Rothrath fighting style is renowned..." Sangela tried to argue. She had trained back when she was a child and into her teenage years when she lived among mostly Marlek. 

Kikata tried to put her words gently, "I do not think a Neko is best equipped to fight that way." 

Sangela huffed a sigh and shrugged. She felt as though she should acknowledge her instructors words and guidance yet hatred would not allow her to do so. She merely stared blankly in some other direction and hoped Kikata would just move on. 

Kikata nodded slowly, debating whether or not a gentle hand on the shoulder would be welcomed. She simply left Sangela with one final praise, "You are looking good though. I look forward to hearing your progress in the field. It was an honor to be your instructor."  

"The honor was all mine..." Sangela replied with a grumble, finally bringing her hand up to her throat to try and rub away the dull ache. She lowered herself back down into a sitting position and waited for everyone to leave, watching spitefully out of the corner of her eye as Kiakta lifted her little husband, boyfriend, dildo, what ever the fuck he was from the scale one deck. She felt some bit of relief however when the dreaded dark haired Alta was heading on her way out the door. She remained in quiet solitude, a slight part of her wanted to curl up and sob self pitying tears. But she would never do something like that. She wasn't quite sure how long she sat there, but eventually she lifted her gaze from the floor and saw one, miniscule figure still standing on the observation deck. 

Johnny nearly squirmed uncomfortably as her partners eyes locked onto him. The loss had clearly devastated her, and he wasn't sure why he didn't follow everyone else out the door but he too felt a slight twinge in his ego to see his partner fall so easily. In a few bounding steps Sangela was suddenly towering over him, she slouched against the wall beside the deck and slid herself to a more reasonable talking level. 

"Well...." She started, her voice had lost most of its fire. 

"Yeah. That was brutal, huh?" He said, "If it means anything I don't think anyone in the class would have made it past the first elbow." 

Sangela rolled her eyes, "I'm sure if she wanted to she could have ensured that for me as well. I'm pretty sure my left breast is already bruised." 

"I can check if you want." Johnny added quickly.

Sangela shot him a glare but rolled her eyes again soon after, a small laugh erupted from her sore throat but she stifled a smile as best she could, "In your dreams little man." She muttered. "I don't even...how am I supposed to counter that?" She nearly whined. 

"What? Kikata?" 

"Yes. Kikata. Half the time I was on my ass before I even knew what happened."

"And then her ass was on you." 

"Very funny. I'm sure all the boys got a kick out of seeing me between her legs." Sangela said.

"Well, it wasn't a bad submission to watch." Johnny replied, knowing he was probably one of few humans that would be safe making such a comment to a freshly angered Sangela. 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

"Well that was fun." Richard commented as he sat down into his pilots seat. 

"Agreed. Though I cannot wait to get out of those classrooms and back into the skies. I am a little space sick." 

"I as well. There's no home like the stars."

"When you have a ship like this anyway." Kikata added. "So what's the game plan?" She asked as she brought up the ships holographic controls. The engines roar reached their ears as a gentle hum throughout the ship. 

"Well. We have to pick up Issac and then we're back onto a scheduled route." 

"Our family is growing." Kikata said, her smile broadening as she brought the ship off the ground. 

"Clearance has been authorized." The ships voice called to them, "Preparing take off, please remain securely seated until we are cleared of the gravitational pull." 

"As you command." Richard said, his voice deepened. Together he and Kikata watched the landscape below tilt out of sight, the blue skies dotted with white clouds rushed towards them before suddenly giving way to the black of space following a white and blue flash. 

Kikata's eyes shifted as she noticed a message on her computer screen. She opened it. "Strange." She commented, "It's a message from Atrix." 

"Atrix?" Richard echoed. 

Kikata's blood ran cold as she read the short message. Prila is missing. She missed my Salax. She would never miss it unless she were in trouble or worse. I am suspicious of the Alliance. You must come. Quickly.

"Well...what did she say?" Richard asked. He could see the text but it was written in the Neko language and was hard to decipher from afar. 

"She...She said that Prila is missing."