- Text Size +

“Time to go I guess.” Issac said, rising from the couch on the human balcony of the community quarters. He and Atrix had been watching a live stream video of the same sport Steven had shown Richard back on Earth. 

Atrix frowned, “I might just stay. Kikata said she had to meet us there.”

“She set up a shuttle for you though, right?” Issac asked, “I’ve got one too, it should be easy.” 

Atrix cringed, “Yeah...” 

“Don’t make me go alone.” Issac said, leaning on the balcony. 

Atrix sighed, “I don’t know. I’ve never done stuff like this. What if I screw it up somehow?” 

Issac chuckled, “I think it’s pretty straight forward. I mean, if we could go together I would but-”

“Why not?” Atrix asked, “I mean...”

“I’m not sure if it’s safe, is it? Kikata doesn’t even carry Richard in hybrid cities.” 

Atrix glanced away from Issac, a nervous churning filling her chest. She didn’t want to have to deal with the shuttle, certainly not on her own. A panic attack seemed inevitble, which was frustrating more than anything else considering she felt she had been making progress again lately. “I guess you’re right. Look, I’ll take the lashing from Kikata, I’ll just say I was-”

“No, no. Screw it. I’ll go with you.” Issac said. He himself wasn’t looking forward to going to a formal dinner, apparently they would be honored guests to some big CEO. 

Atrix turned back towards Issac, “Are you sure?” She asked, trying to stifle a smile, “I mean, you don’t have too.” 

“Nah, I’ll do it. I mean you’ve got steady hands right? All that meditation, or whatever.” Issac said with a shrug, trying to hide the fact that being carried around was a frightening idea. It seemed like so many things could go wrong. 

Atrix cracked a smile. “Okay. I’ll go then.” 

“Just promise you won’t drop me.” Issac said, stepping back from the railing, his hand rose and rubbed the back of his neck as it had gotten a bit sore looking up to his gigantic friend as it sometimes did. 

“Of course I wont!” Atrix said. She had never carried a human before. With anyone else, even Richard, it was a frightening idea. She wasn’t much for touching, and having someone small in her hand always seemed like too much invasion of her personal space. But Issac was different, somehow. He put her at ease. She slowly lifted her hand and placed it on the balcony beside him. 

Issac took a deep breath before taking a few steps towards her hand, taking hold of her finger to help him hoist himself onto her palm. Her hand was so warm, instantly feeling the heat radiate up into his shoes and into his legs. He sat down where her fingers met her palm so he could keep some sort of hold on her fingers. He looked up towards her and nodded, “Alright.” He said. 

Atrix nodded back towards him, lifting her hand. She realized she wasn’t quite sure what to do next. The logical, safest spot would be to clasp her hand near her stomach, but she wanted to keep him close so she curled her fingers slightly, bringing her free hand underneath the hand that held Issac and held him out in front of her chest. She could hardly feel his small weight in her hand, though his warmth was quite noticeable. “I never noticed how small you were.” She said, her smile broadening. 

Issac laughed, “You know I was going to say the same thing, except, backwards I guess.” He watched as the ship started to move around them, or rather Atrix began to move through it. She seemed to be concentrating hard, her light steps were hardly noticeable from his perch in her hands. Though he dared not steal a glance towards the ground. 

“It must be so strange to see the world like that.” 

“I never thought I’d have to readjust my view of the world.” 

Atrix breathed a burst of air through her nostrils, “Neither did I.” 

Atrix made her way to the exit, taking the rear landing ramp down to where a shuttle was waiting for her. Once on board she took her seat quickly, nodding as the pilot confirmed the restaurant they were supposed to meet Kikata and Richard at. She threw one leg over the other so she could rest the back of her hand on her knee, reminding herself not to make any sudden movements. It was almost as if carrying Issac went hand in hand with some of the lessons she was taught under Prila about mediation. Specifically the walking meditation. She had to be always conscious of what she was doing. She smiled to herself as she thought about it. 

“You seem happy.” Issac said, breaking a long silence. 

Atrix shifted her gaze down towards him, “I was just thinking. How is your ride?” 

“Very smooth. I knew there was nothing to be worried about.” He said, actually feeling quite at ease.

“I like how Kikata carries Richard on her shoulder.” 

Issac swallowed nervously, not ready to venture to anything too risky, or at least what he considered risky. “I don’t know if I’m ready for that one.” He said. 

Atrix frowned, glancing away from him again trying to hide her disappointment, “I agree.” She said. She looked towards him again, “I am so curious what it must be like for you.” 

“It’s cool.” Issac said with a shrug. He looked around at the hands that so gently held him, “You’re like this living mountain that can walk and talk. Yet, you don’t frighten me.” 

Atrix smiled. Picturing herself in his place, “I feel like it would be intimidating.” 

“At first sure. I’m slowly getting used to it. Now I’m mostly just curious. Like when the doctor had you, erm, open up for her.” 

Atrix felt her cheeks grow warm, “Y-You watched that?” 

“Well I was standing right there.” 

Atrix scrunched her lips as she thought about it, “It must have been disgusting looking into my mouth like that.” 

Issac laughed, “You know, it wasn’t that gross. It was kind of cool, even. To see something like that so big.” 

Atrix rolled her eyes, her cheeks still growing warm, “I’m sure you are just being nice.” 

“I can be nice and truthful at the same time.” 

Atrix glanced down at him, opening her mouth to say something but closing it again quickly. She looked out the window of the shuttle, which had entered the main part of the city now. Large buildings surrounded them. They all followed a similar design, large stone blocks piled upon one another high into the sky, many having massive pillars with carved designs imbedded into the stone. It was all so different than home. 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

Finally the shuttle landed before a building that had tall glass windows that rose hundreds of feet above the city streets. Everyone gathered outside was dressed in fine, designer clothing, making Atrix instantly feel self conscious about the dark blue dress Kikata had helped her pick out. She did not belong in a place like this. 

“Here we are.” The shuttle driver said, opening the door for Atrix. 

Atrix forced a smile towards him before stepping out in the street. “Is it too late to go back?” She whispered to Issac who she again held out in front of her chest. 

“Far too late.” Issac said with a laugh. 

Atrix took a deep breath before climbing a short set of steps towards the doorway, which a Trugon woman opened for them while simultaneously bowing her head. Atrix hurried through the doorway, feeling the cool highly maintained air of the building wash over her which made her skin tingle with goose bumps. 

Issac watched as they entered the restaurant. There were large aquariums spread throughout the entire place, long, almost eel like fish that were at least twenty feet long swam through the brightly lit blue waters elegantly with long, flowing fins that trailed behind them almost as if they themselves were adorned in glamorous dresses. Massive chandeliers that must have been larger than his entire house back home hung from the ceiling shining brightly within their intricately molded metallic arms. “Fancy.” He said, mostly to himself. 

Atrix walked nervously up towards an attractive Neko woman who stood behind a counter. “Um.” She said, not really sure what to do. 

“Just one?” The woman asked curiously, eyeing Atrix with an arched brow. 

“T-Two.” She replied, holding her hands out before her. 

Issac felt his stomach drop as he was lifted higher into the air. Looking up as the Neko before them leaned forward to see him, her lips curled into a smile.

“I see. You must be the missing party members for the Valune table.” 

“I-I guess so.” Atrix said, the name sounded familiar from when Kikata told her where to meet them.

“Good. Right this way please.” The woman said. 

Atrix followed her up a narrow flight of stairs that rose along side the aquarium wall. The stairway led to a walkway that overlooked the bottom floor of the restaurant on one side with booths that were tucked away in their own personal out coves in the wall on the other. They passed by several of these booths before finally Atrix saw a familiar face. 


“Atrix!” Kikata said pleasantly as she waved her hand. 

“Hi.” Atrix said quietly as she apporached the booth. She glanced to her left and saw another Neko woman sitting beside Kikata. She looked a bit older than Kikata, with long brown hair and very full, modelesque lips. 

“Hello.” The woman said, “Happy for you to join us.” 

Atrix forced a smile and nodded. 

“Is Issac on his way?” Kikata asked, though her gaze lowered towards Atrix’s hands, “Oh...I see you brought him with you.” Kikata glanced towards Richard, who looked back towards her with a shrug. 

“I didn’t want to go alone.” Atrix replied softly. 

“Well as long as you were careful.” Kikata said, watching as Atrix took her seat to the right of her. The table was set up in a semicircle. The larger scale seating surrounding at large platform that took up the greater part of the table where the humans and other small races could sit at their own booth which faced the large scale seating. The human platform was equipped with an elevator that would drop them below the table to the rest of the smaller scale areas. 

Atrix nodded and placed her still clasped hands on the table. 

“Um. Atrix. Issac might prefer to be seated at his own table.” Kikata said. 

Atrix blushed, “Oh. Right. Sorry.” She said, lifting Issac onto the human platform so he could climb off. 

“I was starting to get used to being small.” Issac said, smiling towards Atrix before taking a seat next to Richard. The human platform was also equipped with a specialized sound system that would allow them to speak with larger scale races even though they were far away from them. 

Issac glanced to his left and noticed a heavy set man with short black hair seated next to Richard. “Atrix, Issac, we’d like you to meet our new friends. This is Kurt Amorim, he is actually the current mayor of the city-” 

“A title that will soon enough be meaningless.” Kurt said with a deep chuckle. 

“And this is Devoras Valune, current CEO of Farnax Industries, human translation anyway.” Richard continued. 

Devoras smiled towards them, her full, dark red, colored lips surrounding an almost too white smile, “It’s a pleasure to meet you both. We have already heard so much about you two in such a short time.” Her gaze focused on Atrix, “Your hair is beautiful darling, that clasp in your hair is a Cho ritual binding clasp is it not?” 

Atrix nodded, “Yes.” 

“What is that?” Asked Kurt, arching his neck to get a better look at Atrix. 

“It’s a very symbolic piece.” Explained Kikata, knowing that Atrix would dread having to explain it herself, “It shows her devotion to her schooling, as well as the special bond she holds with her teacher.” Kikata nearly regretted adding in the teacher bit. Not wanting to bring up bad thoughts for herself or Atrix, nor wanting to bring any attention to Prila in general. 

Devoras placed her cheek into her palm as she leaned forward, “Atrix is a Nau’zui. A very rare and honorable title given to few back on our home planet. We are lucky to get to meet her...Which sparks a curious question, Atrix, if you don’t mind me asking?” 

Atrix swallowed nervously, nearly wanting to flee the table, “Yes?” She asked. 

“What brings you out here? Away from school?” 

Kikata shot a glance towards Atrix, wondering if she should answer for her. A tenseness grew around the table between herself, Richard, Issac and Atrix. 

“I-I...I wanted to explore, I guess.” 

There was a momentary silence that felt like ages. 

“Well that’s as good of a reason I’ve ever heard.” Said Kurt with a laugh, “What better way to do it too huh?” 

“Yes, Atrix is a very curious girl.” Kikata said, feeling a nervous weight washing off her shoulders. 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

Sangella looked up towards the upper balcony where she had seen Kikata and whoever else she was with go, “I guess we’re not classy enough for the upstairs.” She said, her gaze falling onto Johnny who sat upon a balcony seat to her left, which jutted out at about shoulder height from the wall. 

Johnny shrugged, “Do you really want to sit up there with all the snobby people and them.” 

Sangella glanced around the other tables, “Please, I think we’re the only non-snobs in this place.” 

“Can’t argue with that. But hey, at least someone’s covering our tab.” Johnny leaned over the edge of the balcony, “How is...whatever it is that is on your plate?” 

Sangella cut another piece from the grayish slab on her plate which was covered in a light pink sauce with other assortments of vegitables thoughtfully placed around the meat, “It’s, uh, some kind of fish I think. It’s good though. Want to try?” 

“Sure.” Johnny said. He watched as Sangella slowly rose her fork towards him, the piece of meat dripping in the pink sauce. He reached out with his fork and knife and cut into it, “Jesus, this slab of meat is bigger than me!” He said with a laugh, feeling as though he were cutting a piece straight from a large animals side. 

“Gee, way to make a girl feel self conscious.” 

“Oh shut up.” He said as he finally freed a piece of the fish, or whatever creature it was. He slipped his fork into his mouth, “Mmm.” He hummed, chewing thoughtfully. “You know, I’m not a huge fan of fish but this is good. Really good.” 

“I’d hope so. I think this whole dinner would cost a months paycheck if we were paying for it.” Sangella said. 

“Want to try some of mine?” Johnny asked. 

Sangella laughed, “I’m not sure if I could taste it, but alright.” She placed her elbows on the table and leaned towards the balcony. 

Johnny cut a piece of what looked like pork chops, but sort of tasted more like steak, he too was unsure of what animal it came from exactly. “Alright, open up.” 

Sangella opened her mouth slightly, her eyes darting from side to side to see if anyone was watching them. The corners of her mouth turned upwards in a smile. 

Johnny closed one eye as he tilted his fork backwards, creating a small catapult with it. He could feel a big of heat radiating up towards him from Sangella’s mouth, along with the scent of that pink sauce and fish. He flung the piece of meat towards Sangella’s face. “Oh shit!” He exclaimed with a laugh, the little piece of meat had hit her squarely on the tip of her nose. 

“What? I don’t taste anything?” Sangella said.

“I missed.” Johnny said laughing. 

“Johnny!” Sangella complained, wiping her face with a napkin. 

“Open wider.” Johnny said. 

Sangella leaned forward again, “You know I thought you were supposed to be a good shot.”

Johnny smirked, though she did spark his competitiveness, “Just tell me where and I’ll hit it.” 

“Ahh.” Sangella moaned, sticking out her tongue now and opening her mouth wide, “Ehh. Ehh.” She moaned again poking a spot on her tongue just beyond her front teeth while also sending large gusts of humid wind around Johnny.

“Alright then.” Johnny said, cutting another piece of meat. He took aim, and launched it, grinning widely as he was more accurate this time. The little hunk of food tumbled through the air before landing on Sangella’s tongue. “Got it!” 

Sangella retracted her tongue, moving it around her mouth, “I think...I maybe taste it?” 

Johnny laughed, “I’d throw my entire plate but...I’m hungry.” 

Sangella leaned back, noticing a Neko couple a table over from them had been watching. She smiled at them before her gold and blue gaze shifted back to Johnny. 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

“So Kurt, you mentioned that your title would eventually be meaningless? Why’s that?” Richard asked. 

“Oh you didn’t know?” Kurt asked. 

Devoras rolled her eyes.

“We are trying to change the political system. are you familiar with Marx?” Asked Kurt. 

Richard shrugged, “Vaguely I guess. He was all about Communism wasn’t he?” 

“Well he came up with the idea of it. We would like to create a society of equality, beyond the shackles of the ancient and quite beyond expiration capitalist model.” 

“A model-” Said Devoras, “That you gained your wealth, built your company, and made this city with.” 

“Well yes, it’s no question that capitalism was necessary to build the potential for the communist system to work. I’d say society is ready for a change.” 

“Maybe. But I just don’t see it happening. It eliminates competition. And competition is the driving factor of change, Communism seems to be the gateway to a very stagnant society.” 

“I disagree. I think capitalism is a good way to keep the average individual on a treadmill chasing after goals they will likely never meet.” 

“Some meet them, though.” Devoras said, “And some go even further. Where would our society be without those individuals?” 

“You don’t think a Communist society could breed individuals that would create progress?” 

Devoras shrugged, her dark brown eyes browsing the faces around the table. She reeked of confidence, her beauty making her an even more intimidating force to debate with, “Not in spectacular numbers. Success is a tempting mistress. And we want more than just pats on the back for our hard work. And think about society in general? What a bore it would be. Where would the great artists be? Art is an important part of culture, would the government fund the artists that would make our films or statues? If it were only seen as a cultural necessity why should the artists strive to make truly wondrous works of art?”

“I think you over value greed, Devoras.” Kurt said with a chuckle, taking a sip from the bluish drink before him. 

Devoras smiled, “Maybe. But we’ll see how your society progresses, wont we? Afterall so far alls we have is speculation.” She eyed Kikata and Atrix, “I think we are getting boring, though, Kurt. Let’s change the subject.” 

Kikata shook her head, “Oh no, it’s very interesting.” She smiled, “I wasn’t sure which side to take!” She looked over to Atrix who had already drank through two and a half of her cocktail drinks. She was a little worried that she would get too drunk, but on the bright side Atrix did seem more relaxed.

Meanwhile Atrix did her best not to show the rest of the table as she typed a quick message into her computer. Once finished she cracked a half smile and glanced down to Issac. 

Issac felt his computer vibrate, he reached into his pocket and saw he had a message from Atrix. He opened the message and read I’m bored.. He smirked to himself, meeting Atrix’s gaze with a grin. He replied, “Me too, I hear there’s some nice bars downstairs or in the building over.” 

Though before Atrix could respond with a let’s go. Devoras spoke, “So Issac, I have wanted to ask you about your current program? You know my company is one of the sponsors of your ships computing programs.” 

“Really?” Kikata asked, “I thought you worked in pharmicuticals?” 

Devoras smiled, “With our current size we essentially find interests in almost anything. Computers are obviously a big part of our infastructure. We might not have put any of our own products into the project, but we saw incentive to invest. So, Issac, anything exciting?” 

Atrix frowned, she had hoped the conversation would have become off track enough for her to escape the table by now that dinner was finished and everyone else seemed more interested in politics. She was, however, very curious about what Issac did when he was working. 

“Well, lot’s of exciting things. I suppose you know the main objective of the project was to achieve a sentient computer.” 

“Now that just sounds like science fiction to me.” Kurt said with a laugh. 

Kikata grinned, “Believe me you should hear this computer already. She has attitude alright.”

“She?” Devoras asked, “You attributed sex to the computers personality?” 

“Yes, the computer was given feminine qualities by the original programmers. Funnily enough she has embraced these qualities as her own. Not that she has shown any signs of truly understanding what gender means.” Said Issac, “But the program has shown a lot of very unusual traits that have not been seen in computers designed to mimic sentience.” 

“How could we ever tell the difference?” Asked Richard. 

Issac shrugged, “At first scientists believed that communication was key. If we could talk to the computer and receive a sentient like response the computer must be intelligent. Of course now with the computing power we have you can give a computer the vocabulary and algorithms to pretty much communicate in a way that would make it nearly indistinguishable from any of us. So far that has been plenty for industries such as as the video game industry.” 

“Our computer has certainly become more talkative.” Said Kikata. 

Atrix grimaced, thinking of her own unfortunate conversation with Richata. 

“So, what’s different about your computer?” Asked Devoras. 

“Well, she, or it, however you like to put it-”

“How do you like to put it?” Asked Devoras.

“She, I suppose. Though applying gender may give me an unfair bias. But as I was saying, she seems to be gaining a sense of self. She is starting to ask me questions with motive that I do not quite understand. Or, just earlier today, she picked out her own avatar to display as her own face while communicating with us. And, most surprisingly, she asked if she could pick out her own name.” 

“Her own name?” Kikata asked in a high pitch tone and a frown, “But I liked the name we gave her.” 

“Why would she want to do that?” Devoras continued to ask, she seemed quite curious. 

“She may have noticed that the name Richata did not appear in any database other than her own name. Maybe she felt alienated by it. Honestly it could be anything.” Issac said, “The key thing is she is thinking in a non-straightforward kind of way. She is having thoughts, abstract thoughts. This could be the first signs of actual intelligence from a non-organic being.” 

Devoras smiled, “Well, that certainly is exciting. With findings like that you could have a very bright future ahead of you.” 

“Issac was always the promised one of the family.” Richard said laying hand on his brothers shoulder. 

Issac blushed and tried to force a laugh, “I-I think the developers deserve most of the credit.” 

Atrix smiled, she took a bit of joy, though not in a malicious sense, in seeing Issac squirm uncomfortably. “So, we thought we might look at some of the bars downstairs.” 

The entire table seemed a little surprised by Atrix’s suggestion. “Who? You and Issac?” Kikata asked. 

Atrix nodded. 

“Not a bad idea.” Devoras said, “The Agua bar downstairs is rather spectacular. You will rarely find a place like it. But perhaps we should take a moment to look at the dessert menu. Kikata mentioned you were  a fan of Fulroo?” 

“F-Fulroo?” Atrix said, hoping her lips did not instantly glisten from the access saliva that accumulated in her mouth. 

“What’s that?” Issac asked. 

Richard leaned over, “You wouldn’t like it. Remember how grandma always had that weird European candy that we hated?”

“It’s...My favorite food.” Atrix said. “Is there any chance they serve it to go?” 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

“I hear they have some real beer at one of the bars in the human bars inside.” Johnny said, “I’m going to go check that out.” 

“Just going to leave me out here?” Sangella asked with a frown. 

“Make some friends, socialize. I’ll be back in a few.” Johnny said shaking his head. Over his time knowing Sangella, it was becoming clear to him that she was very anti-social. Whenever they stopped off to get off the ship she either hovered over him or sat around by herself. 

Sangella rolled her eyes and she leaned her elbow on the counter top, taking a sip of her green, sugary drink and swishing it around her mouth. She glanced around the bar as Johnny disappeared out of sight within the human areas of the restaurant. She often felt trapped at this places, by the nature of their size the humans had more options for places to go it seemed, while she had her choice of two or three areas at most. She swallowed down her drink, leaving a sticky feeling in her throat. The only thing that kept her going back to the glass was the warm feeling spreading over her chest and an increasingly relaxed mind. 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

After a few hours at the table, once Atrix and Issac went their own way, the others followed suit. Kurt and Richard decided to go and check out the human bars in the lower levels while Kikata and Devoras decided to go downstairs to the main floor which had a rather quiet bar area. 

“So how is the new political system working?” Richard asked as they sat down at a wooden bar, it was designed to look like a sort of Irish pub back on Earth. 

“So far, very well. Though it will take at least one or two generations to truly see how it pans out.”

“Why’s that?” 

“Well, most of the people here, other than children of residents, are here by choice. They were excited about the system before they were living in it, so we need that bias to clear up.” 

Richard thanked the bartender as a tall glass of deep, brown ale slid into his hand, he took a sip and felt is muscles starting to relax, “So it’s a long term project, huh?” 

“Hopefully.” Kurt said with a chuckle. “It sounds like that ship of yours is still a project in progress?” 

Richard nodded, “Yeah, yeah. We have some features that still need to be tested, and then all that stuff Issac is working on.” 

“Such as what? Or are you sworn to secrecy.” Kurt chuckled again. 

Richard sipped from his beer again as he thought, “Well.” He started after setting his glass down again, “The ship is designed to go underwater. We haven’t tried that yet.”

“Underwater?” Kurt asked, “Why would you need to do that?”

Richard shrugged, “Who knows. The ship has more tools than anyone could possibly use. But going underwater might give us some added stealth or protection.” Richard leaned back on his stool and stretched his back, though as his hand fell to his side he felt a crumpled piece of paper being shoved into his palm. He quickly looked to Kurt, who seemed distracted by something on one of the television displays off in the opposite direction. His head swiveled to the left and he saw who appeared to be a bus boy walking in the opposite direction. He met eyes with the young man and the man’s pace quickened as they did. He looked to the paper in his hand and unfolded it.

We know who took your friend. Richard’s brow raised and he quickly looked back to the man who was making his way out into one of the hallways. “Excuse me.” He said, quickly rising from his stool. 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

Johnny sat in the bathroom stall, idly tapping his toes and browsing his computer when he suddenly heard the loud burst of the bathrooms door opening. He was startled, nearly dropping his computer between his legs as the sounds of scuffling feet grew closer. 

“Who are you?” A familiar voice asked, it was Richard Bromwell, his instructor from school. 

“W-We’re friends. Trust me.” A male voice replied. 

“Explain this!” Richard said again, keeping his voice just below a shout. 

“Not the place.” The man replied his voice strained as he was pressed up against the wall. “K-Keep your cool man. I’ll take you somewhere we can talk.” 

Johnny listened as the foot steps trailed out of the bathroom. He quickly finished up and got to his feet, slipping his computer into his pocket. He exited the stall and slowly opened the bathroom door. He spotted Richard and whoever that man was walking down the corridor. He waited a few more seconds until they made a left into a doorway before following them. 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

Atrix could hardly control a grin as she sat on a barstool, her feet dangling far off the ground and her head feeling a little heavierthan usual. “This place is so cool!” She exclaimed. The bar they had gone too, which was mostly empty now, looked as if it were under water. Aquariums surrounded them almost completely, on the ceiling, on the walls, inside the bar counter. The floor was dark, the spiderweb like reflections of water bounced around on the cool stone floors and tables. 

“I know, right.” Said Issac who sat once again on his own platform with an artifical bartender, in other words a drink dispenser with a card swipe. 

“And so is this box.” Atrix said, holding up the to go box which sort of looked like a chinese carry out box from Earth, the Neko had nothing like it back home. 

“Everything is cool.” Issac said with a laugh, feeling the drinks pretty strongly himself, though he was still right enough in his mind. “So you’re glad you came out tonight?” 

Atrix nodded her head, her grin broadening, “Yes, thanks for pushing me to do it.”

Issac shrugged, “It was nothing. If anything it helped me overcome my fear of heights.” 

Atrix snorted, quickly covering her mouth as she continued to giggle, “Sorry for making you ride with me!” She said as she finally calmed down. “But it was fun, right? I mean I had fun. It was like, raww! I got a tiny man in my hands!” She started laughing again. 

Issac laughed, “You were like that huh?” 

Atrix nodded, “Yes. Just like that.” 

“You’re a funny girl.” Issac said, noticing Atrix’s expression suddenly change, “In a good way.” He added. 

Atrix huffed air through her nose and leaned her cheek onto her elbow, “A good way?” 

“Yeah. You’ve got a sense of humor.” 

Atrix smiled, “You know...You are maybe the fourth person who has ever seemed to understand me.” 

“I’m sure there’s more than that.” Issac said before taking another drink. 

Atrix shook her head, “Nope. There’s you, Kikata, Richard, and Prila. I never met my parents. I neverreally had close friends during school.” 

“I’m sorry to hear that. There’s no reason you shouldn’t feel comfortable being yourself, though.” 

Atrix shrugged, “It’s just...” Her gaze drifted away from Issac, “You know. I have it all going against me. I’ve got the cold, dead gray eyes and this bone white hair-”

“I like your hair, and your eyes are beautiful.” Issac protested. 

Atrix felt her cheeks grow warm, “But, worst of all...This damn condition.” She had trouble rolling the words over her tongue. She never talked about what everyone knew she had. “It rules my life. I mean I want to talk to someone, but my chest...It’s hard to explain, but I just can’t. So I shut myself off.” 

“It must be hard.” Issac said. 

“But you seem different.” Atrix said, her eyes darting back towards him before leaving again quickly, “I felt like we became friends so fast I had a hard time believing it. Like, I know you know about my mental condition. But you don’t seem to care. Like everyone else ignores it, pretends it’s not a thing. Or they talk down to me and think I don’t see it. But I’m too cowardly to step up for myself. But you, you know I have the condition. You know that things are hard for me, and it’s not like you ignore it...It’s like you accept it. And you’re not afraid to pull me out of my shell.” Atrix dared another glance to Issac, “Sorry, I’m getting too emotional.” She forced a laugh. 

Issac took a long drink, “Yeah. I mean. I like talking with you the way you are. We seem to have a lot in common. Like, I am no good at socializing myself-”

“Please, to me you’re like a professional!”

“No. Not at all. I mean, you should see my track record of talking to girls. It’s horrible. Seriously some of my embarassing moments haunt me to this day.” 

Atrix giggled again, “So no girls waiting for your return to Earth?” 

Issac laughed and shook his head, “No one even knows I left! How about you? I’m sure you were the talk of all the Cho boys. Am I saying that right? Cho?” 

“Cho’otoo is the full pronounciation. But yes, you got it right. And no.” Atrix shook her head, “I can’t even like...begin to get into boys, or whatever. My brain can’t process those sorts of feelings.” 

Issac shrugged, “I’m sure you could if you tried.” He felt his pocket vibrate. He slipped out his computer and saw a message from Richard. Meet me upstairs, time to head back to the ship. Kikata says not to go with Atrix, too risky.” 

“Kikata says now to carry you back.” Atrix said with a frown, she too had gotten a message, “I guess I have to take the Fulroo back. Oh my, I can’t wait for you to try it!” 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

“Took you long enough.” Sangella said watching Johnny walk back out on the platform. 

“You are never going to believe what I just saw...” Johnny said, still out of breath.