- Text Size +

"So tell us what you know." A disembodied voice called into a dimly lit, circular gray room. 

Sangella glanced down to Johnny who sat on his own elevated platform below her. He caught her gaze and shrugged. "We do not know much from before we got there." She began, "I wasn't even aware of the settlements existence before Lorth approached me." 

"He made no efforts to contact you before your meeting in Fath'ax?" 

"None whatsoever." Johnny replied. 

"He never went into detail about his dealings prior to recent events?" The voice continued to ask. 

"He only ever mentioned that he held a position beneath Roko, and that he often worked with numbers for the business." Sangella said. She could hardly believe that he was even being brought to trial. Money and paper fraud seemed like such a minor offence compared to the good he did. "If I can say somethin-" 

"Please, only answer the questions asked." 

Johnny glanced back to Sangella, he did not like this anymore than she did. "As my partner said he only told us his position in the company. And that he wanted nothing to do with what Roko was turning the company into." 

"He made no mention of hiding financial gains or losses, settlement industrial projects, population increases or decreases, or supporting the rise of an oppressive government?" 

"He didn't go into any details." Sangella said. 

"He only told us what we needed to know to get everyone out safely." Johnny said. 

"And during your investiagtions did you discover any evidence that would prove any of the charges filed against the defendant?" 

"Time was a factor. We could only focus at the task at hand." Sangella said, placing her palm to her forehead. 

"Understood. Next question...."

~ ~ ~ ~ 

"You have been conversing with Atrix a lot recently." Said the voice of Richata, there was no real hint to her emotions, but Issac could not help but think her mind was brewing something. He had, in fact, been talking with Atrix a lot recently. Once he managed to break down her shell a little a few days ago she became easier to approach. And while she still seemed awkward, or nervous, at times, he was happy to see that she was becoming more willing to open up with him. It was a relief especially after the last fiasco Richata caused. 

"Yes. I have." He replied. His eyes scanned over some of the numbers from their last testing session, the data was becoming harder and harder to understand. There was no doubt now that Richata's mind was operating unlike any computer he had seen before. 

"Are you testing with her?" 

Issac's brow furrowed, "Testing? No. Of course not." 

"Oh." 

"Why do you ask?" 

"I enjoy testing." 

"I know." 

"It is...Special to me." 

Issac smirked, "I'm glad to hear." 

The computer seemed to hesitate, perhaps not quite sure how to put its strange and often mysterious thoughts into word, "I would like...that only we do tests." 

"I promise, Richata, you are the only computer I am testing with." Issac was a little troubled by the computers concerns, he certainly did not expect jealousy to crop into her emotions so early. "Have you picked which avatar you want to use?" He asked. The previous day he had implemented a new software that would allow Richata to display herself in a humanoid form. It was mostly for aesthetic value, but he thought it might help the computer gain more of a sense of self. 

"None of the ones you presented felt right." Richata said.

"No?" Issac asked. He wanted Richata to make the decision herself, mostly out of curiosity of what she would pick. 

"I found one on my own." 

"Did you now? Well, let's see it." He said leaning back in his comptuer chair. 

His eyes widened as a female face appeared on the screen. The face was human, of asian decent. Long black hair fell off of the screen where her body would be, and clung to the sides of her well chiseled cheeks. "Do you like it?" She asked, the avatar's mouth moving though the face had not quite figured out accurate emotions quite yet. Issac had a feeling that would change.

"I do."

"Good. I felt like it was me when I found it." 

"Well that's exciting." 

"I was also wondering if I might choose a new name for myself?" Richata asked. 

"Why? Do you not like your given name?" 

"It feels fake. I do not feel that it fits." 

"Well, I suppose yeah, you can pick yourself a new name." 

"Excellent. I am excited. I will inform the crew when I make a decision. But for now, it appears your awaited appointment has arrived. Should I direct her to the community quarters as you previously instructed?" 

"That would be great. Thank you." 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

Atrix nearly squirmed as she sat and waited in the community quarters. Why did she have to get this damn physical on the same day as the dinner. It was too much for one day. And where was Issac? Wasn't he supposed to get one too? She didn't want to do this alone. Her eyes darted towards the human balcony as Issac stepped between the sliding doors. She sighed with only slight relief. She got to her feet and hurried towards the balcony. "Hi." She said softly. 

"Hey Atrix." Issac said, "Doctors on the way." He and Atrix were due for a checkup to make sure their bodies were acclimating healthily to space travel. While they took medication to combat some of the regular conditions that might arrise from space flight, sometimes the body just isn't fit for it over long periods. 

Atrix nodded, "Okay." 

Issac smiled, he could tell Atrix was under some stress, "It won't take long. Richard said it's a pretty quick check up."

"For a human maybe. What about me?" 

"I'm sure it's the same." 

"How are you-" Atrix was interrupted as the sliding doors opened again. A woman appeared, her blonde hair tied back in a ponytail. She was attractive, to say the least, her features very well defined even in a rather minimal amount of makeup. She looked to be in her early or mid thirties. 

"Hello." She said, smiling brightly towards Issac and Atrix. "You must be Issac. And you must be...Atrix? Am I pronouncing that right?" 

"Yes." Atrix replied quietly. 

"Good, great. Well I hope not to keep you two long. Unfortunately my partner, who was supposed to examine Atrix, is out today so I will have to do a twofer." She laughed as she made her way to the balcony. "That sound okay?"

Issac shrugged, "Sure." 

"Don't worry, it's a very simple checkup. Generally if you have been feeling healthy it's a good sign your body has already aclimated well by this point. So I'll just ask you guys a few questions, some specifically to either of you. I'll let you know as we go. I am Nichole, by the way" 

"Okay." Issac said. He glanced back to Atrix and did his best at a reassuring smile. 

"Okay, so let's start with an easy one, um, for both of you, any trouble breathing? Have you been experiencing shortness of breath in normal, daily advitities." 

"No." Issac said, Atrix shook her head.

"Good, good. Always a good thing!" She smiled brightly towards them again. "Okay, number two." She snorted to herself, "Pun not intended, but have you experienced any pain while using the bathroom? Or have you noticed any consistent discolorations?" 

"No." Issac said, he could practically feel Atrix's blushing cheeks on the back of his neck, but her answer as well was "No." 

"Great. So far so good. Okay, Issac, have you experienced any changes in your private areas. Severe increases or decreases in activity?" She asked. 

Issac cleared his throat, "Um, no. Everything seems to be normal." 

"Excellent. And Atrix, your turn." Nicole could tell Atrix was not enjoying this specific question, she turned to Issac, "Hey, Issac. Ear muffs please." 

Issac held in a small laugh and clamped his hands over his ears. 

Atrix did her best not to recoile as the tiny woman leaned towards her, oddly her demeanor did help, somewhat, to put her at ease.

"So, Atrix. Have your cycles remained normal?"

Atrix nodded, "Yes." 

"Have you experienced any dryness? Or pain, in your private areas?" 

She shook her head, "No." 

"Good. Great." She bumped Issac's shoe with her foot, "We're good." She said, flashing him a quick smile. "I know no one likes those questions so it is all smooth sailing from here. Sound good?" 

They both nodded. 

"Okay excellent. So Issac, have you experienced any chest pains?"

"No."

"Stomach pain?"

"No." 

"Increase in headaches?"

"No."

"Blurred vission?" 

"No." 

"Okay, great. And Atrix. Have you experienced any pain around your upper abdomen?" 

"No." 

"Pains in your neck?"

"No." 

"Loss of feeling in your ears or tail?" 

"No." 

"Aching pain in your wrists?" 

"No." 

"Okay great. You guys seem like a healthy bunch!" She turned towards Issac, "If you don't mind, and I apologize if my hands are cold, I need to just feel around just a little bit."

"Um, Alright." Issac said. 

"Just a few areas that the body scanners wont really give me a definitive answer." She took a step forward and placed her hands beneath his shirt, feeling his sides on his lower abdomen. "Mmmhmm. Good, good." She said to herself. She lifted her hands to his throat and felt the areas around his adams apple, "Any swelling around here?"

"No." Issac said. 

"Good." She said, dropping her hands back to her side. She dug into her pocket and pulled out a computer. "Okay, Atrix, if you would lean really low for me, get your chin under the balcony?"

Atrix nodded and complied, Her ears unable to remain upright as the doctor focused on her.

"Okay, thanks darling. Now, open wide and say 'ahhh' for me would you?" 

Atrix swallowed nervously but nodded. She opened her mouth as wide as she could, mimicing the sound the doctor made.

Issac stood behind the doctor curiously. It was a strange sight, less gross than he might have imagined as a small light illuminated from the doctors computer and lit up a section in Atrix's throat. 

"Swallow for me, dear?" 

Atrix's throat muscles suddenly contracted, pulling her tongue back as a loud, wet smacking was heard. 

"Great. You can close up. Thank you." 

Atrix stood to full height, her hand wipeing at her lips. 

"Okay, almost done here." Nicole continued. "Issac if you would just stand very still for me until I say otherwise."

"Alright." Issac said. 

"Great." She said, turning the computer over in her hands. 

Issac watched as the doctors hands slowly lowered from pointing towards his head and then down the length of his body. He felt some tingles under his skin, but was mostly made uncomfortable by trying not to fidget during the process. 

"And, we're almost there. Hold your hand out please?" 

Issac held out his hand.

"This might sting just a tiny bit." She said, pulling another device from her pocket. It clasped around his finger naturally, then pinched at his skin. She pulled back and smiled, "Great. All done. Now Atrix could you take just three steps back and then stand still until I ask?" 

"Okay." She mumbled. She took exactly three steps back then closed her eyes. Holding her hands to her sides as the doctor did whatever it was she was doing. 

"Okay, great. Now if you could present me with your hand. I don't think you'll feel a thing." 

Atrix still did not watch as she put her hand in front of the doctor. She didn't feel anything, but she still did not like the idea of someone taking a sample of her. 

"Okay great. Thanks you guys. That was super easy."

"No problem." Issac said, glancing over his shoulder towards Atrix. 

Nichole stared down at her screen for a few moments, eyes scanning over the information as it was processed, "And it looks like..." She said, continuing to read, "Yeah you guys are healthy. Awesome. See, not so bad?" 

"Not at all." 

Nicole continued to smile, "Cool ship you guys have here. I walked in and was a little startled by some woman telling me to follow the light display on the walls."

"Oh, that's a new system I have been testing out." 

"Works great! I was worried I'd get lost in this massive place. Technology huh?" 

"Yeah." Issac said with a laugh.