- Text Size +

Inque took him there and modified his condition further, and then the two began to date.

 

Within weeks, Batman (Terry McGinnis) found himself facing an onslaught of villains from his rogues gallery, all teamed up in what they hoped would be a final attack on New Gotham’s primary super hero. The latest members of the Royal Flush Gang and the Society of Assassins were aided by a gang of Jokers who had acquired Slappers (the patches which imparted a temporary dose of Bane’s power). They had freed Spellbinder and Shriek and Mad Stan and formed the worst army of villains that Gotham had seen in many years. In this timeline, Blight was the only super villain who had not retained his abilities.

 

After taking a pounding that was on the brink of damaging his advanced Batman suit, the latest dark knight began to wish that the rejuvenated Bruce Wayne had put on one of his own old Bat suits to help, instead of settling down with Terry’s own mother. However, help can come from strange places. Just when all hope seemed lost, two largely blue figures ploughed into the super villains.

 

“I don’t believe it,” thought Terry, “It’s Inque, and …. another Inque. They’re taking down stacks of them in very little time. I guess I’d better get back on my feet and help.”

 

Terry felt a new burst of inspiration, as he shrugged off three attackers, and started firing Batarangs at others. Inque seemed immune to Shriek’s attacks, as did Inque 2.0. Then, out of the blue (pardon the pun), both Inques stopped fighting the villains, and began to fight, not Batman, but each other. Terry looked around for the explanation, and saw that Spellbinder was using one of his mesmerizing illusion devices on the Inques. They would have been seeing something which he had conditioned them to see, something that led them to believe that they were fighting the villains without interruption, Terry guessed. Each of them would have seen the other as one of the Society of Assassins, or one of the Royal Flush Gang.

 

But the Assassins were all down. Not even their fighting abilities had been of any effect against the powers of the Inques. Terry did his best to ignore the onslaught of the four members of the Royal Flush Gang who were still standing, and managed to fire off three Batarangs, before the second and third one successfully knocked out Spellbinder’s devices. The Inques snapped back to normal and saw Terry’s troubles.

 

“Three against four,” said Inque 2.0, “I’d say that’s in our favour here.”

 

He threw himself at Queen, smothering her against her own flying card, until she passed out from lack of breath. Inque herself did the same thing to Jack, while Batman managed to loop his rope around Ten and King and tie them together.

 

“Thanks for the assist,” said Batman, “Although I honestly didn’t expect it.”

 

Inque explained everything to Batman.

 

“I think the law would consider any unserved sentences commuted for pain and suffering already sustained by you guys, and I’d welcome the help any time you want to do this again,” said Terry, “Besides, I left the retooled freeze gun at home.”

 

Inque laughed.

 

“Never thought of myself as a team player before,” she said.

 

“I wouldn’t hold out for membership in the Justice League Unlimited yet though,” said Terry.

 

“That’s okay. If your old man and his dog joined us, I guess we could always call ourselves Mysteries Inque.”

 

“Just as well Bruce got young again,” thought Terry, “Or he’d be turning in his grave.”