- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Your vote is in and the results are as follows:

Black Canary:             1 (namely Carycomic)

Wondergirl:                 0 (namely all the lurkers)

So Black Canary it is.

And now, on with our story.

 

The son of Egghead and Olga, born in 1969 on earth-M, was a teenaged boy by the mid 1980s. He had been named Humphrey, by his parents, and grew up in Gotham Boys High, telling many stories about his father’s escapades against the Dynamic Duo: Batman and Robin.


Soon Humphrey took on a name of his own: Humphrey Dumphrey, as he had a rather egg-shaped belly rather than an egg-shaped head, given that he’d inherited his mother Olga’s Bessarovian head of hair. As soon as the lads were of school leaving age, Humphrey Dumphrey and the members of The Egg-stroverts (as he called his little school boy society) were led off into the jungle by Humphrey to form their own tribe.

 

 

Meanwhile, Atom-G had reduced himself so small, that he looked (barring the missing top of his mask) like the Atom-M of the smaller world earth-M and called himself the Neutron. Having been the subject of both Black Canary-M’s interest and that of Wondergirl-M, he decided that Black Canary was the one who had caught his attention the most.

 

Neutron soon began accompanying Black Canary on her Star City crime patrols, which she maintained in honour of her late boyfriend Green Arrow, who had perished in the Crisis of Infinite Beards, before the defeat of its initiator Chade the Shaving Man.

 

An alliance formed between Chronos, who was feeling the need to branch out from Ivy Town, and Clock King, who was currently enjoying the Green Arrow’s absence in Star City. As soon as the two met, they were impressed by the similarities in each other’s styles, and decided to team up and have (pardon the pun) the TIME of their lives in Star City.

 

First to respond to the threat were Black Canary-M and the Neutron, who launched themselves into a fight. Neutron was tiny and hard to deal with, but Clock King managed to make a lucky swing at Black Canary with his cane in the shape of one of the hands of a clock. It struck the side of her neck, and thus did not deliver a fatal blow. However the impact somehow jarred Black Canary’s vocal chords, and she found herself unable to deliver one of her sonic canary cries.

 

On earth-M, Neutron effectively had one power that Atom-M did not. He grew to his earth-G size, having modified the costume to remain visible, and became like a giant. Seeing Canary in danger, he quickly seized and subdued both of the time inspired criminals, and tied them up for the police.

 

Neutron then reduced himself to tiny size again, and rode on Black Canary’s shoulder until they reached her home.

“Maybe I can repair the damage to your vocal chords from the inside,” said Neutron, “If you don’t mind opening your mouth wide.”

 

“You mean you’re willing to go down inside me and massage my wounded inner neck?” asked Black Canary.

 

“Yes, but don’t test your cry until I’m out of there, no matter how improved you might feel,” said Neutron.

 

He slipped into Dinah’s mouth and slid slowly down her throat, until he came to the affected area. Applying principles of Atomicupuncture, he soon cured the jarring damage to Dinah’s throat, slid back up and out and asked her to test her cry.

 

When they’d cleaned up all the glass from her picture frames and kitchenware, Dinah and Ray were satisfied that the treatment had been a screaming success.

 

 

Back in the jungle, Humphrey Dumphrey and the tribe of Egg-stroverts discovered the cave which led into earth-G and decided to enjoy the abundant space and fruit of the giant world’s jungle.

 

In the mean time, on earth-G, Cat-Anna, the daughter of Cheetah and Catman, born in the early 1960s, had also grown up and acquired a following of her own. Cat-Anna and her Miaowing Commandoes eventually went on an expedition into the giant earth’s jungle, in search of wealth to advance their rebellion against mainstream society in honour of their parents.

 

So adept were the Miaowing Commandoes at slinking through the jungle with the silence of creeping cats, that they did not alert the relatively tiny Egg-stroverts to their presence. They soon became aware of a tribe of small people, all dressed in egg-like clothing, all male, and all young.

 

Very carefully, so as not to cause the tribe to scatter, Cat-Anna and her women began to secretly snatch up members of the Egg-stroverts, take them back to their base camp and eat them.

 

It took several days before Humphrey Dumphrey managed to catch them in the act, without being seen himself. He immediately called a secret meeting of the whole team in the very cave that had enabled them to reach that world.

 

“I’ve seen enough to know what’s happened to our missing members,” said Humphrey, “They’ve been poached by giant women wearing cat masks.”

 

“You mean we’ve stumbled onto a world of giant Catwoman wannabees?” asked one of the Egg-stroverts.

 

“No. From memory, Dad only ever met Catwoman once, when some other villain busted six criminals loose in Gotham Penitentiary,” said Humphrey, “These women don’t seem to be trying to emulate a local Catwoman. Anyway, we’d better wait until night and then sneak out and see if it’s safe to venture further into the jungle and avoid being eaten.”

 

Of course, when they emerged from the cave, they found themselves back on their own earth-M with no more need to fear the giant women. The Egg-stroverts who’d already been poached by Cat-Anna and the Miaowing Commandoes were duly eaten and soon forgotten.

 

In the meantime, word of Mouse Man’s romance with Wonder Woman-M spread like wildfire throughout the tabloids and talk shows of earth-M. Fans of the couple were purchasing Wonder Woman costumes and full sized Mouse Man costumes, as none of them had the ability to shrink, and holding parties and special functions. Some of the tallest women around were keen to wear Wonder Woman costumes and date shorter men of average height, while some of the shortest men around were keen to wear the Mouse Man costumes and date taller women of average female height.

 

Their group was soon named the Wonder Mice. They held events all over the world, and sure enough, eventually held one in the jungle not far from the cave that linked them with the giant earth. One of the lads, still wearing his Mouse Man costume, was not having much success with any of the girls, and decided to take a walk in the jungle to settle his nerves. He found the cave and emerged in the giant earth-G’s jungle and wondered if he had really shrunken to the size of the real Mouse Man. Then he went back in the cave, returned to his own earth, and then again to the giant earth, until he worked out what was happening.

 

He decided to explore earth-G for a while, until he saw what seemed to be a giant Wonder Woman, dressed slightly differently from the one he knew, walking through the jungle towards him.

 

“I’ve grown very fond of this jungle,” she said, picking him up and sitting down on a log, looking very attractive in her outfit in that position, “But I never expected a new Mouse Man to pick up where the other one left off.”

 

“You’re a very beautiful Wonder Woman,” he said.

 

“Well thank you, but flattery won’t help you, young man. I ate the first Mouse Man some time ago, and I’m going to eat you up as well. You’ll be sorry you ever put on that costume.”

 

“But you don’t understand,” he said, realizing that Wonder Woman-G had mistaken him for a criminal Mouse Man from her own world, “I’m not really a Mouse Man, just a fan of his.”

 

“At that size. I don’t think so,” said Wonder Woman, laughing confidently.

 

She put him into her wide open mouth and closed it.

 

“I’m from the other earth!” he called, but she couldn’t hear him, “I’m just part of the Wonder Mice! It’s a fan club.”

 

It was no use. He was lying on her tongue with no way to persuade her to open her mouth and hear him out. It was evident now, that on this earth, Wonder Woman and Mouse Man never formed a romantic relationship. Yet something quite different had transpired between them.

 

Owing to a misunderstanding, the same thing was about to happen between the earth-M fan of Mouse Man-M and the earth-G Wonder Woman.

 

Suddenly Wonder Woman’s tongue angled on a slope, and the Wonder Mouse could not retain his position on her tongue. He felt himself helplessly sliding towards her throat, and into it. From then on, the gulping of the giant Wonder Woman’s neck took him down, down, down.