- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Dinner time for the colony.

Ch. 4

            “For the love of Mariah and Isabella, what were you two doing out there all this time?!”

            Their reprimand was inevitable.  Leigh guiltily looked at the ground, but Nami knew that Jericho was speaking more out of a father-like concern rather than any real desire to berate the two of them.  She knew that throughout the years his watchful eye had kept all the members of her sect alive and fed, and that his judgment as guardian Calculus was always in their best interest.

            “Apologies, Jericho, for we were in error by staying out in the open,” Nami responded.

            “The two of you could have been killed, or worse.  If I instruct you to return to Sanctuary, you will heed me, do you understand Nami?”

            Nami shook her head yes.

            “Leigh?”

            She was still looking down.  She quickly shook her head, similar to how a child would after being yelled at.

            Jericho began to lower his guard.  He approached Leigh and reassuringly put his hand on her head.  “Look, you two just scared me, that’s all.  You scared everyone here.  You must be careful when not at home, because you never know just what the large one is going to do.”  He took his hand off of her head.  “Let us return home.  You both look hungry.”  With that he turned towards the entrance in the wall.

            Almost immediately after Jericho had left, Xi came running from the crowd of Calculi, most of which were now heading back into Sanctuary.  Her chest was lavender, and in the darkness created by the shadow of the softbox, it was almost the only feature Nami could make out.  Xi almost jumped on her as she took Nami in her arms.  Nami returned the hug and the two Calculi squeezed each other in harmonious affection.  Xi let Nami go and then pounced on Leigh, who was clearly unprepared for it.  She stiffened up, looking very unsure of what to do.  Nami just laughed as Xi let her go.

            “I am SO happy to see you two alive and in one piece.  HA!  I can believe it though since it would be you two lunatics who would try to take on the large one all by yourselves!”

            Leigh looked around anxiously and quickly responded, “thank you, Xi, it is good to see you as well.”  With that she hastily shuffled back into the wall, comically pulling both antennae to either side of her head.

            “What were you doing out there, Nami?  You really could have died.”   Xi was now presenting herself with a more serious disposition.

            “I’m sorry, my friend, I never meant to worry you.  I just wanted to observe the large one’s domain for a bit, to examine her way of life.  Sometimes I am just very enamored by the thought of it.”

            “I am, of course, elated you are fine.  But you must not do things like that on your own.  Separating yourself from the colony can be suicide, unless you have much wisdom like Jericho.  But come, dinner waits, and our seats grow cold.”

            Unlike other activities, which each sect usually performed independently, the colony always had dinner together.  It was not difficult, because the colony numbered only about 200 members, and Sanctuary was more than large enough to accommodate them all.  Each sect numbered around ten members, so the entire colony contained 20 sects.  The members of each sect were assigned specific duties both in and out of Sanctuary.  The guardian Calculus was in charge of directing all members of his sect, providing instructions on just about every major event that took place.  Flyers such as Xi retrieved all of the materials needed for survival while the spotters kept watch.  Inside Sanctuary, Calculi were designated cooks, cleaners, medics, and any other position deemed necessary.  They were assigned each position based on skill, but so long as each performed his duty to the best of his ability, all were entitled to the splendors of the colony. 

            The oldest members of the colony were organized into a separate sect known as the Concilium Ultim, or the Final Council.  This council never numbered more than five members, and it was constructed from those members of the colony who had the most experience outside of Sanctuary, and who could no longer physically make the perilous sojourn outside for supplies.  Their role was purely administrative, but that is not to say that the colony required any lawful jurisdiction.  There was never any dispute between the Calculi, and the Concilium Ultim usually served as nothing more than an advisory council that the guardian Calculi could turn to.

            Having dinner together usually allowed the Calculi to talk, eat, drink, and be jovial.  Exploits were shared, and members of each sect were given the opportunity to intermingle.  Before it began, Thelonius Maximus, head of the Concilium Ultim, would usually give a motivating speech.

            “Brothers and sisters, and dear friends of mine, welcome!  Let us now dine together, so that our unity as a colony may bring us happiness in these unsettling times.  Let us give special thanks to those of you who have, once again, risked so much to bring us this plentiful bounty!  I am in your debt.”  With that, he took his seat.  Outside the distant rumble of the giantess’s footsteps could be heard, creating a bittersweet atmosphere.

            Nami and Xi took their seats.  A very long plank of wood used to support some other part of the house was flipped on its side and used as the table, supported in various areas by the nails which stuck from its surface.  A variety of trinkets, acquired over years of scavenging, served as chairs, plates, bowls, and just about everything else the Calculi might need to enjoy their meal.  Nami was seated on an old thimble, while Xi rested on a spool of string.  The two of them had to eat with their hands as there were not enough utensils for everyone.  The ground around them was dirty and cold.

            Despite these inveterately drab surroundings, dinner time was an exciting time for the colony.  Worker Calculi buzzed here and there brining others who were eating water and other delicacies.  Those Calculi would then, in turn, toss a treat back up to their server.  Only about half of the table was actually seated, as many Calculi moved around, forming large groups as they talked amongst one another.  Thelonius took most of it in at the head of the table; periodically a guardian Calculus would approach him for discourse. 

            Nami and Xi began to feast on what was some dried bread, water, and salty lunchmeat, which had been acquired from a cylindrical receptacle outside of the white tower.  Two children ran by behind Xi, almost knocking her off of the spool.

            “A toast, Nami, to our longevity and our good fortune!”

            Xi raised her “cup”, a hollowed out piece of wood, and clanked it against her friends.  “For it is always fortuitous when we are together.”

            Nami smiled and then looked around the dining room.  She was pleased by the good spirit that togetherness brought her colony.  Before she could resume her dinner, someone had tapped her on her shoulder from behind.  This startled Nami, and she quickly peered toward the source of the disturbance, only to be greeted by the withered, smiling face of Thelonius.

            “Nami, I should speak with you alone, my dear.”

Chapter End Notes:

Comment please!