- Text Size +

------ Chapter 6 ------

            I was lying in the confines of Ms. Bianchi’s lap, gazing upwards at her perfect but colossal body. Slowly I felt her familiar hands wrap around me as she began to pick me up, hoisting me into the air. With a look of inquisitiveness she carried me to her back office and shut the door behind her, isolating us from the other parts of the school. Inside, I felt a growing pit of anxiety in my stomach, as anticipation swelled at the thought of a potential punishment. What was going to happen next? Was I simply going to get detention for skipping?

            I took in my surroundings. Her back office was lined with books and other learning materials, all neatly organized. The woman set me down on top of her small desk, next to a globe that was taller than I was. Casually, she sat down in a chair across from me, crossing her legs, and I noted that overall her desk setup looked just a bit small for her. I concluded that it was likely because she was far taller than the average woman, and manufacturers in this world must not build things to her size. It made me speculate who the world’s largest woman was, and I wondered how big Ms. Bianchi would be compared to her.

            As I looked about, Ms. Bianchi sat there for a second, staring at me. Then she crossed her arms in front of her chest and leaned back, raising an eyebrow questioningly.

            “Why were you in the library and not in my class this morning, Dean?” she began, her tone serious but not threatening.

            I sat crossed legged in front of her, and looked to the floor, or rather, the top of her desk, which was like a floor to me.

            “I went to the library to read up on some stuff. I was studying,” I lied, hoping she would buy it.

            Her eyebrow shot up even further. “Studying for... what Dean? What exactly were you studying for?”

            “History.” I blurted quickly, hoping to come across with some conviction. Maybe that way I wouldn’t seem so guilty.

            Ms. Bianchi took in a deep breath, uncrossed her arms and clasped her hands in front of her chest, leaning forwards. Her face belayed a degree of utmost seriousness. “Dean… how exactly did you learn to read?”

            I gasped. What kind of question was that!? Did men not know how to read in this reality? I suddenly felt as if saying, “1st grade reading class” wouldn’t be the right answer. Yet, at the same time, this was beginning to feel like an interrogation. Somehow, I knew something I definitely wasn’t supposed to, and this woman was determined to find out why.

            “I just… well… I want to learn history, is all. I’m not very good at it.” I half-lied, rubbing the back of my head nervously. I wasn’t a particularly skilled liar.

            Squinting, Ms. Bianchi leaned back. “I’m not convinced. You’re a man. Men don’t get to learn things. What do you care about history for?”

            I felt a cool chill run down my spine as she said that. Men don’t get to learn things? That confirmed that I wasn’t supposed to know how to read. Ms. Bianchi was clearly on to me, and I’d already incriminated myself. My spine tingled.

            Before I could respond, she spoke again. “Tell me, Dean. Where did you learn to read?”

            Her demeanor was so cold. I gazed up at her perfect face, awestruck. There was no way I was going to be able to lie my way out of this, yet telling the truth was completely out of the question. There was no way she would believe me, and worse, by telling the truth I would only look like I was lying! Who would believe, “I’m from another dimension” as a legitimate excuse? No one!

            “Ah… I guess… I’m just… smart like that?” I shrugged. I was completely pulling at straws, desperate to dig myself out of the hole I was in.

            “Really? Is that so? While you probably are fairly intelligent for a man, why don’t you start telling me the truth, Dean.”

            There was no way out. I couldn’t escape this. I wracked my brain for some excuse or response, and came up blank. Finally, I just caved.

            “Listen, Ms. Bianchi… I…I don’t know. You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.”

            The titanic woman frowned. “Oh? I need you to be honest with me, right now.”

            Suddenly, I didn’t much care for her tone. I was fed up with being interrogated like this.

            “Just, stop judging me and I’ll tell you, ok!” I clenched my fists and spurted. “Gosh, you’re making me so uncomfortable!”

            For a second, her face expressed a look of genuine shock at my outburst. Clearly, she wasn’t used to being talked to like that. Yet, instead of getting angry she merely leaned back, allowing me room to breathe and begin explaining myself.

            “Ok… from now on no one’s judging you. Just tell me what you were going to say.” A little smile crept from the corner of her mouth.

             I shuddered with fright; I was so uncomfortable in this situation. Effectively, Ms. Bianchi had cornered me, and there was nothing left for me to do but spill the beans that I was not exactly from this reality. And that scared the snot out of me. I would need to be careful, and choose my words wisely.

            “All right, now don’t jump to conclusions or anything, but the reason I can read is because… I’m not from here.”

            I expected her to do something, to react somehow. To sarcastically say, “Boy, this should be good!” or something along those lines. Yet, she merely allowed me to continue, her sultry gaze silently urging me to speak more.

            “I woke up this morning, and it was like I was in a different reality. I mean, I remember that when I went to sleep last night, men and women were the same size. Equals. Now I wake up and…” I waved my hands about the room, “… all this happened! Does that make sense?”

            Ms. Bianchi stared at me blankly. “No.”

            My face turned beet red, and I felt like simultaneously clamming up and exploding. I decided I needed this off my chest- I needed to tell someone.

            “Well, then I don’t know what to tell you, because that’s the truth! Where I’m from, men can read, and they’re not little playthings. They have lives and families and thoughts and feelings!”

            My teacher had a quizzical look on her face, almost as if she was unsure what to do with me. Judging by her expression, I could tell she was thinking hard. This must sound like absolute blasphemy to her. I could tell I needed more proof to back up my outlandish claims.

            “How else would I be able to read? Here, I’ll show you!” I stood defiantly and scanned the room. My eyes found the bookshelf, the titles of the books displayed outwardly on the binder. I began listing them off, rapid fire, one after the other.

            Ms. Bianchi let me read nearly a whole row of titles, mostly science books, before she spoke, “OK Dean, that’s enough. You’ve made your point.”

            The titanic teacher took off her glasses and set them on the table before rubbing her eyes. I couldn’t tell if she was frustrated, or worn out, or what her thoughts were.

            “Ms. Bianchi?” I took a few steps towards her, unsure of how she was going to react.

            She sighed. Her hands dropped down, resting on top of the desk next to me. When she finally spoke, I could see she had dropped the “strict teacher” act. Ms. Bianchi was finally being real with me.

            “Dean, you realize how crazy this sounds, right?” She brushed a loose strand of slick black hair to the side before propping her head against her arm.

            I nodded, speaking softly. “Of course… I haven’t told anyone yet. I’ve been bluffing my way all morning, trying to pretend I know what’s going on. Things are so radically different from what I’m used to. ..”

            A deep sadness suddenly washed over me as I confessed my situation, and my voice cracked slightly, “…honestly, this world is terrifying to me.”

            She watched me, a curiosity gleaming in her eyes. I met her gaze, and noticed that she was biting her lower lip, clearing thinking hard about what I’d just said. Inside, I couldn’t believe what I’d just done. This woman was going to lock me up in an insane asylum, or whatever they did with crazy people in this world.

            Why did I have to go and do a foolish thing like that?