- Text Size +

He walked down the corridor.  She followed him closely.

Dr. Wilson was a neuro-stimulant expert.  He had invented an ultrasound pattern that carried subconscious information, injecting the subject with pre-programmed thoughts.  This way, the subject embraced these thoughts as his own, making him to involuntary act as a biddable pawn of the programmer.  This invention had been largely rejected by the scientific community due to the moral issues involved.  The Government Intelligence Service however did show considerable interest and provided Dr. Wilson with substantial funds to carry on his experimentations.  Lately, they had teamed him up with Mr. Caladri, a telecommunications and satellite expert, to investigate if Neuro-Stimulated Suggestion could be broadcast effectively using satellites. 

This covert operation was running under the government’s blessings.  Agents from other countries had discovered that this project was up and running.  After a multi-nation meeting, a coalition was formed to oppose this project and take it down in complete secrecy.  To avoid running the risk of exposing the coalition, they decided to outsource this mission to a never heard before top secret agency called AQD.

Alpha Quadrant Division was not a new agency.  They had been operating for several thousand years in several places in the Alpha Quadrant of the galaxy, but had recently installed a mission receiver on Earth.  The mission receiver had assured them that they were able to carry out the operation without exposing the coalition.

Eric opened a door to his right and they entered a narrower corridor. There were doors on both sides of the corridor and they were all shut.  At the end of this corridor there was a heavy steel door with a huge “Authorized personnel only” sign.  A silver plaque over the door read “NSS Lab”.  He swiped his card on the electronic detector and the door clicked open.

He gave her a signal to stay put.  He peeked through the door.

Tarja, placed her hand around his right arm and held him gently as a reminder that he shouldn’t do anything silly.

He turned back and faced her. “There are at least 40 people in here… surely, you would not want us to go there”, he whispered.

“Is Dr. Wilson among them?” she whispered back.

“I didn’t see him.  He must be in his office on the other end of the Lab”

“Is there another way to get to him?”

“Yes. His office has a back door to the manufacturing facility in the back of the building”

“Take me there then”, “NOW”, she hissed a few seconds later.

That had Eric back on the move, with Tarja following him a little further on the back.  They were backtracking through the corridor when they heard a door on their right opening.  They saw man with a lab coat entering the corridor and walking in their direction.  The man crossed paths with the guard without even giving him a look.  His eyes were locked on her body for the full time.  At some point he raised his gaze to meet her eyes.  She smiled at him seductively and he has clearly mesmerized.  He felt, for a brief moment, that he was glowing with happiness.  Then, the world became a huge place.  The corridor was miles long.  Her face was too far to be able to see clearly.  He looked at her shoes.  They were really enormous and dangerously close to him.  He turned in a futile attempt to run, but he was scooped up in her huge palm.  He was still dizzy from the sudden elevation when he was dumped in a dark place.

She had just dropped the tiny man into her handbag, when Eric turned to see if he was being followed.  He couldn’t see the lab technician and the mysterious woman had fallen a little behind him.

“What did you do to him?”, he whispered through his teeth.

“None of your business”, she replied sternly as she approached him.

He stood still, showing his unwillingness to move on.  She gently pushed him forward with her extended arm.  He felt her stone hard fingers on his back and then he felt that he was pushed forward by a tractor.  This reminded him that the woman following him was no ordinary woman.  She had the strength of at least 100 men and most likely she was weighing as much too.  He gave her a protesting look and dropping his head, he walked forward.

She followed him through various corridors and passages, using his access card to pass through the security doors.  Eventually they reached the back of the huge building and a staircase leading downwards to the construction area.  They stopped momentarily to examine the installation.

The roof of the construction area was a dome made from light reflecting mirrors.  In the middle of the construction site there was a huge motorized satellite dish.  Several computer clusters could be seen around the dish as well as some power generators.

A few technicians were working on the computers.  They didn’t seem to pay any attention to the staircase where the odd couple stood.

“Come… this way”, he beckoned her.

They descended the staircase to the ground then went up another, leading to the back door of Dr. Wilson’s office.  There were several windows in the office overlooking the construction site.  The bodyguards of the doctor had already seen them as they climbed the stairs.  The two burly men stood behind the glass frame of the door and they already had their hands on their handguns.