- Text Size +

The subject of assignment JE-7634 was a couple of miles away, according to the mission details.  The park she was walking in was on the outskirts of the city.  Next to this park there was a large industrial area with factories and warehouses.  Several of them were supposed to be abandoned, according to the computer’s instructions.

She reached the gate of the park. It was closed, but not locked.  She reached out a hand and grabbed a horizontal beam of the gate only to find out that her fingers dug into the metal and deformed it.  She released her grip and opened the gate without pulling it off its hinges.  She looked at the damaged beam.  The shape of her fingers was clearly formed there.

“Damn you Earthlings! Seriously now... Who makes a gate out of … this material”, she muttered to herself.  “This whole planet is a trap…”

She tried to remove her prints off the beam, but there was always some mark left. Finally, she decided to dig her long finger nail into the cast iron bar and cut it clean.  She removed the part with her hand marks.

Tarja left the park and started walking along the pavement towards the industrial area.  The area was deserted.  She was all alone and a little bit stressed. She had to be careful with all these traps around. It was so easy to leave marks on this brittle planet and she could not afford to leave any.

The cast iron bar she removed from the gate was approximately half a foot long. She tied it into a knot and, with some effort, squashed it in her hand and kneaded it to a ball. Squeezing the cast iron ball like putty took away her stress.  Finally she placed the ball into her handbag and focused on walking on the brittle ground.

She walked confidently on her heels and looked like a regular woman strolling on the sidewalk, if you could - of course - disregard a couple of freshly cracked flagstones along her path.

A car passed from the opposite direction.  The driver slowed down to have a good look at the statuesque woman and he whistled approvingly.  She ignored him and he drove off.

She stopped at a street sign: “Industrial Estate Road 3”.  She had to cross the road.  She looked carefully both ways for any cars and crossed to the other side.

There were large buildings on both sides of the road. Building 201 was on her right side and it was a large abandoned warehouse. Her target, building 217A, was further down the road.

This street was full of litter. She exercised extra caution to avoid stepping on metal scraps as much as she could to avoid leaving any evidence behind. It was practically impossible to avoid stepping on small stones and wood splinters, crushing the former to dust and further splintering to bits the latter.  Hopefully the wind would soon blow the dust away clearing her footsteps. 

Damn, she thought, these stealthy missions are proving to be very hard for a woman from Zurga-3. 

The greatly increased body density and weight gave her really hard time.  And everything was so fragile on this planet…

Her agency recruited her as the perfect executor for assignments on Earth due to her height and her striking resemblance to a 30 year old human woman.  At 6 feet 2’ she was not a midget, but surely one of the shorter Zurganians, but after all, that proved to be an asset for her. She was very fortunate to be given such a good job by the AQD, the agency that had recently expanded its business to this part of the galaxy.