- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Well, here it is. The last chapter. Thanks for reading! Let me know if you enjoyed it!

  I looked out the window, admiring the old brick buildings. The sun was still beginning its ascent, casting its faint light over the campus. The college was still this Saturday morning, only those diligent souls with morning classes, or those seeking an early breakfast were to be seen walking its stone paths.

  “Good morning, Will.”
  I turned to see Alice standing behind me, looking cute in her green wool sweater and jeans.
  “Good morning, goddess.”

  She tried to suppress a smile in vain, attempting to downplay her delight at the sound of her new moniker. She paced towards me, her boots plinking on the linoleum. She wrapped her arms around my neck and gave me a good morning kiss. Even with her boots on, I was the taller one by a few inches. She stood on her tiptoes for a boost when she kissed me.

  “I had fun last night,” she said.
  “Me too.”
  “That was risky, though. We should be more careful.” She thought for a minute. “So from now on, only your tongue. Or all of you.”
  We laughed. I didn't expect her to follow through on her suggestion. I knew she wasn't really that cruel, just an aspiring master of the art of teasing.
  “Where's Annie?” she asked.
  “Brushing her teeth.”
  “I'd better get ready, too.”
  “I think I'm gonna take a shower.”
  “Oh, here are our things.”

  She pointed to our duffel bag, which she had un-shrunk and placed beside Annie's bed. I retrieved some clean clothes and a towel, and made my way out the bedroom and down the hall. I heard Annie gargle and spit into the sink before she emerged from the bathroom. Her flip-flops smacked her heels as she walked briskly back to her room, toothbrush in hand, smiling silently as she passed me.

***

  I could hear Alice and Annie talking as I approached the bedroom. When I opened the door, I saw the girls sitting on Annie's bed, laughing hysterically. I was glad to see them bonding so well. Alice sat with her legs crossed, resting one black boot on top of the other. Annie, now wearing her sneakers, bounced her heels against the bed frame excitedly. She hopped off the bed when she saw me.

  “Ready, guys?”

  We followed the winding walkways of the campus to the parking lot. We passed the library, with its marble steps and tall clock tower. As we reached the edge of the campus, the brick walls of the school's buildings started to give way to trees. A group of three girls spotted Annie, and called out to her.

  “Hey, Annie!”
  “Hey guys!” She turned towards us. “Guys, hang on one second, I'll meet you at the car.”

  Alice and I continued walking as Annie ran to meet her friends and started talking with them. Every so often one of the girls would look at Alice and me curiously.

  “So, what was so funny?” I asked Alice.
  “Huh?”
  “You and Annie before. Back in her room. You seemed to be enjoying yourselves. What were you talking about?”
  “That's girls' business.”
  “Oh?”
  “We were exchanging stories. A lot of them were about you. I think we both learned a lot about you.”

  When we came to the parking lot, I heard Alice's footsteps stop. She stood by the low wooden fence separating grass from gravel. She looked towards our car, about thirty feet from where we stood.

  “Okay?” I asked.
  “I'm a little scared,” she admitted.
  “Come on, Alice. We're going to meet Annie's parents. And maybe some other new friends. Remember the photos? I know they're going to like you.”
  She ground her boot into the grass indecisively.
  “You and Annie are important. I don't know how, but you are. You can't run from it. Come here.”
  I extended my hand. She looked at it, and then at me.
  “Will... promise me it's going to be okay.”
  “I promise, goddess. It's going to be okay.”

  She hesitated a while longer, her eyes searching mine for truthfulness. Taking my hand seemed to give her the last bit of courage she needed to cross the boundary of the campus. As she stepped towards me, I could tell she felt safe. I admired her dazzling hazel irises, her fire red hair, her soft cheeks. She gave me a kiss, standing on her toes as I felt the warmth of her body and the softness of her wool sweater press into me. When the kiss had ended, she seemed to think for a moment, looking down at her shoes.

  "Hey, give me your things a sec – what's in your pockets. I have an idea.” A grin slowly spread over her lips.

  I retrieved my wallet from my back pocket, and my phone and keys from the front, and handed them to her. I was curious what was she up to. I saw a faint sparkle in her eyes before she came in for another kiss. That's funny, I thought. This time, she didn't need to stand on her tiptoes.

  “Hm!” she said, sounding satisfied. “That could work!”
  “Alice, did you shrink me?”
  “It's only, what, two, three inches? And I'm wearing my heels, remember. We'll be careful! I'll change you back for doctor's visits and that sort of thing.”
  “I don't know about this...”
  “Give it a month, and I'm sure you'll get used to it.” She looked me over from head to toe. “Although, we may need to buy you some new clothes.” She winked cutely. “I'm pretty sure you dropped an underwear size.”
  So it was an excuse to go shopping. I should have known. She grasped my hand by the wrist, and with her other hand, positioned its palm vertical, with fingers pointed up. She placed her own hand against it. They were about the same size. She grinned.
  “What if our friends notice?” I protested.
  “We'll just insist you've always been that height. They might be suspicious for a while, but they'll get over it.”
  “Maybe if it's just around the house or –”
  “Maybe I should take another inch off. Let's try without my boots on...”
  “Alice... I, uh... we'll talk about it later.”

  She gave me one last kiss. I could tell she had regained her confidence as I felt the electricity of her aggressive lips. I was a bit disconcerted, and strangely exhilarated, to still be the wrong height – my new normal height, I would learn. I would indeed get used to it, and more. It would be a constant reminder of what a lucky man I was. Her face was filled with devilish glee as she handed me back my things. We saw Annie hop the short fence and walk up to our car. The mischievous girl smiled at us, a blue hood pulled over her brown hair.

  “Annie's waiting for us,” Alice said, extending her hand. “Shall we?”

  I slipped my hand around hers, and felt her clasp it. As I escorted my girlfriend to our car, I was filled with joy and a sense of purpose. Whatever would happen at Annie's parents' house, whatever we would learn, I knew I would remain as committed to Alice as I was at that moment. She walked next to me, her head held high, thoughtful, a beautiful mystery.