- Text Size +

  I sat at the table with my laptop open. Annie's mood was chipper as she joined me for breakfast.

  "Whatcha doin'?"
  "Applying for a new job."
  "You quit your job?!"
  "Yes."
  She looked stunned. "Is that a good thing?"
  "A very good thing."
  She looked off into the kitchen pensively.
  "Then you and your wife...?"
  "We're getting divorced... Another good thing. Annie, I know you might not understand this, but you helped me make this decision. Thank you."
  She smiled shyly.
  "Um... You're welcome?"

  We continued our breakfast.

  "Oh hey, Liz invited me over for another sleepover this weekend..."
  She put on a mischievous grin.
  "...and I'm taking you with me."
  I looked at her blankly. Her grin retreated slightly, and she began to look almost worried until she heard my reply.
  "Sounds like fun!"

***

  We had made it into Liz's house. I tried to listen for familiar sounds as cues to what was happening, and before long I heard Annie bounding up the staircase. After several minutes, I feared that she had actually forgotten me, but before I could finish that thought, her gentle fingers appeared and enveloped me, drawing me out of her sweatshirt pocket.

  Grasped gently between fleshy fingers, I surveyed the familiar sight of Liz's room. Liz was sitting on her bed. Her hand rose to wave at me, before brushing some black strands from her face.

  "Good to see you, Will."

  I held onto Annie's forefinger, with her thumb at my back. It wasn't the most comfortable way to be held, but I felt safe. Annie rotated her fingers so she could look at me, and her big, beaming face filled my vision. Her eyes sparkled with friendly reassurance.

  "Want to say hi to Liz?"

  Before I could answer, she started moving. I quickly found myself deposited in Liz's palm. The surface was warm, soft and safe. I looked up at Liz and smiled. She smiled back. Her eyes, shy and curious, were much more tentative than Annie's; a shrunken man was still a novel thing to her.

  She frowned.
  "Annie, your dad is coming home soon, right?"
  "Yeah, next week."
  "I guess that means... no more fun with Will?"
  I looked up at Annie. The friendly, reassuring eyes had become wistful.
  "Well, next week isn't here yet."

  After all I had been through that month, it was a relief to spend time with the girls again. They had a quality about them that I found infectious - the carefree teenage aura. As the afternoon passed, I thought about what I had asked of Annie. To help me spy on my wife. How worried she had been, reluctant to put me in danger. There was no trace of that worry now, amid the jokes and laughter. I marveled at her untiring spirit.

  Annie had the idea to play a game of hide and seek. Annie left the room while Liz decided where to hide me. Liz spent a few minutes searching for a good hiding spot. Under the bed? No, that was too obvious. I suggested putting me in a drawer. She said that Annie would think of that before long. Suddenly, we heard Annie's voice from the hallway.

  "Ready or not, here I come!"

  Liz panicked.
  "Hang on, Will!"

  Oh no, not there!

  Annie entered the room, and began searching. I could hear but not see her.

  "Hmm... not under the bed... not in the drawers..."

  She continued her search for a while. She seemed stumped.

  "Where did you put him, Liz?"

  Suddenly, she caught on.

  "Wait a minute," she began slyly.
  "Turn around."

  Liz turned around to reveal me dangling from her hair. Annie placed her hand out. I slid down Liz's hair, and she caught me.

  "Now it's my turn to hide you."

***

  It was getting late, and the girls were getting ready to turn in for the night. Annie had grown me to six inches, and let me walk around on the floor of the room. Annie stood over me ominously, with arms akimbo.

  "Ready for bed?"
  I nodded.
  "How'd you like to sleep under my foot?"

  She started towards me, and I turned and began to flee the other way. She quickly caught up with me though, and I found myself pinned under her socked foot. I burst out laughing. Though it appeared to be an intimidating gesture, I knew it was just a game, like the mock-fighting of kittens. She lifted her foot off me, and walked back over to her sleeping bag. She motioned for me to come closer. When I got close enough, she grabbed me and snuggled in, clutching me like a teddy bear.

  "Good night, Will."

  As she grasped me tightly, I had a sudden feeling of uneasiness. Like I was imprisoned behind her arms. A momentary flicker of darkness crept over me. I felt weak and inferior. No, I told myself, that was the spectre Linda had left in my subconscious, trying desperately one last time to grasp for me. Annie was a protector. She was not Linda, and would never be. I knew that I was safe now.

  Suddenly, something smashed into my face. In the confusion, Annie had loosened her grip, and I stood up. I looked up and Liz loomed over me, with a pillow above her head. I fled to safety near the bed as Annie got up to retaliate. I watched, genuinely frightened as I watched the biggest pillow fight ever. It was like something out of some bizarre Japanese monster movie. The girls started getting rough as they stomped around the room, trading blows and laughing hysterically. I was hiding by the foot of the bed, when I heard a voice.

  "Girls! What on earth are you-"

  The voice came to an abrupt stop. I was confused for a second, then I heard Annie gasp loudly. Slowly, I turned towards the door, and saw Liz's mom standing there. I looked up and met her eyes. Her face was white as a ghost. This was not good.