- Text Size +

  I opened my eyes. The blinds admitted the hint of soft morning light, a gentle salutation waiting for me when I awoke. I lay there observing the room awhile; it seemed funny to remind myself it wasn't mine, that it would be the first sight of only a few more mornings. And after that...?

  I roused my body from the cool, comfortable sheets, and stood up. I walked down the hall, past Annie's room, where she was still asleep. I made myself some coffee, as I had done every morning before, for as long as I could remember. Today, however, it didn't feel like routine. As I poured the hot liquid into my cup, the bitter smell filled the kitchen. Had it always smelled that way? "Wake up and smell the coffee," I thought.

  I sat at the table with my breakfast, and checked my e-mail. Gary had responded.

  Annie appeared, and joined me at the table. I said good morning and smiled involuntarily. She smiled back. I felt as if I lived in another world, a world she didn't yet understand. But she understood my smile. The smile was a bridge between worlds.

***

  The trees were still in the cool of the morning. A fresh silence hung over the parking lot. The silence was punctured by the sound of my car door. The sound was cut off quickly, the trees swallowing the echo.

  When I stepped inside, I saw the familiar face of the receptionist.

  "Good morning."

  She returned the greeting, and I stepped into the elevator. It was the same greeting I gave her every morning, but today, she seemed surprised to hear it, so that she hesitated before responding. Or maybe I was imagining things.

  I stepped out of the elevator. I didn't walk to my office, instead, I stood there, looking at the busy worker bees. They didn't notice me as they sat in their cubicles. A full view of the room was denied them by the lines that sliced its expanse in two dimensions. I alone had a full view.

  I saw my wife appear across the room, standing in her office doorway.

  "Will, can I see you for a minute?"

  She disappeared into her office, and I walked across the room toward the door, calmly conscious of every step. I stepped into her lair, and took a seat. I looked at my wife. Her power and beauty were commanding. I thought of the years I had spent with her. I looked at her face, her hair, her body. I thought of the lust and fear that her features sucked from my being and satisfied. I thought of the uneasy pleasure and safety she had afforded me. Did it really come at such a high price? Then a vision jumped into my head: I thought of her from my vantage point as a speck on the floor. The way she looked yesterday during her fling with Cory. I had the thought that it was the way Cory saw my wife as well. But that image vanished from my head. Now, looking at her, she seemed naked.

  I spoke first.

  "You look refreshed today, Linda."

  She sighed, and said, "quite," before her eyes met mine curiously - the briefest of double-takes. She began to enumerate a list of chores for me, and I listened with boredom, leaning back in the chair, my hands behind my head.

  "So, I'd like you to get this done for me ASAP, okay?"
  "No."
  She paused.
  "...What??"
  "I don't think so."
  "You... don't..."
  "I said it doesn't seem like my kind of work. Why don't you go get that lackey of yours, Cory?"
  Her face was ridiculous. God, it felt so good.
  I stood up and said, "I think I'll take the day off."

  I walked out of her office, and headed for the elevator.

  "Don't you dare walk out on me."
  I turned back when I heard her voice.
  "I will not tolerate insubordination."

  Though her voice was angry, her eyes grinned maliciously as she stood there, in the sight of her employees, knowing that they were watching the two of us.

  I didn't see them. I spoke, making an effort to make the words sound effortless:

  "Shut up, bitch."

  Though she remained standing there, still as a rock, looking at her, one would swear she had almost lost her balance. Then, at a loss for words for perhaps the first time in her life, she slithered back into her office, trying her best to make embarrassment look like indignation. I looked at my co-workers' faces for the first time during the confrontation. I could see shock in some, a silent sympathy in others, a glimmer of hope in still others. They went back to their work without a word. I turned and saw Cory standing by the door, a dumbfounded, wistful look on his face. I winked at him as I walked past.

  A cool breeze greeted me outside. The trees roared in applause. As I sat in my car, I looked at the front door one last time in mockery, as if taunting Linda to come after me. I didn't need her anymore, and I would never fear her or anyone like her again. "Could it really be that simple?" I thought. Could what be that simple? I shrugged and drove away contentedly.

***

  I sat on the couch. I had just finished reading my book. I had once read it as a teenager and not liked it. I don't know what made me pick it up again, but this time, I liked it. The door opened, and Annie entered.

  "Hello, Annie."
  "Hello, Will, how was your day?"
  "Good. Very good."

  She looked at me with a sparkle in her eye, as if she understood the triumph in my face. She went to put her things in her room, then came to join me on the couch.

  "Will," she began, "I think I know why I told you about my powers."

  I leaned back into the couch, listening attentively. She looked grave.

  "I felt terribly alone. I just... I couldn't tell my dad or any adults about my secret, because I was afraid of what would happen... afraid that they would think I was a freak, or dangerous... I'm glad I trusted Liz, though. I had fun using my powers with her at first, but Will... for a few years now, it hasn't brought me any happiness... but I hid it from Liz because I thought she'd never understand what I was going through. I felt trapped, and I didn't understand... I didn't understand... I had this strange ability and no one else did. If other people could do this, I mean, we would have heard about them, right? I felt so alone. I was made different, for no purpose, no reason at all. I thought maybe I was a freak... I was so depressed. But then I met you."

  She smiled.

  "This is going to sound crazy, but... somehow, I decided I had to shrink you. Like it would solve my problems. Maybe I was taking my frustration out on you, like that poor girl from elementary school. Maybe I just snapped, and wanted a way to feel in control again... but you surprised me, Will. I made you small and helpless. You should have been afraid, but you trusted me. I took a chance on a decision... that could have gone horribly wrong... and somehow, this past month, I've been happy again. I feel like life matters again. Do you understand?"

  I felt a sudden jolt, as if the words had brought me out of a dream.

  "Yes," I replied.
  "Annie, you trusted me, too."

  She nodded silently.

  That night, as I drifted to sleep, the image of my giant wife returned to my mind's eye. Her foot hovered over me, about to end me. Suddenly, Annie appeared. Her teenage body had grown to inconceivable proportions. She filled my universe as I looked up, dwarfing both me and Linda many times over. She raised her shoe over Linda, and let it crash down. There was no sign of my wife, not even a pair of Wicked Witch feet sticking out from under Annie's foot. I thought of that poor schoolyard bully. Unlike her, this bully deserved to be squished. I looked up into the heavens at Annie's head, a radiant, hazelnut sun. She smiled, innocent and unassuming. She had made this all possible.