- Text Size +
Chapter 44

After the interrogation, the cops locked Jack up with a bunch of crooks waiting trial. One of them tried to get friendly. In less than 2 minutes, he was rushed off to the nearest hospital with a severe concussion.

"We didn't mean anything, sir."

"Don't want any trouble, sir."

"We was just kiddin', sir."

"What a tough bunch of felons. Truly fearsome..." The guard joked as he looked at all the felons scrunched up as far away from Jack as possible.

"He was a bad egg, that one, sir. Not like the rest of us, sir. The rest of us are perfectly straight, and would never dream of trying anything sir."

"Bull shit... you're lousy liars." Jack said smugly.

It's funny that Jack stole the paper clip before being hauled off. It was just reflex that made him do it. Habit, I suppose. Paperclips are good for picking locks. He won't need to be picking any locks though... he can prove his innocence, even without his attorney. Wanting to call his attorney was just a formality anyway. He didn't really need him.

"McCoy, you got company." The cop said as he threw in two familiar looking writers.

"Hey... watch the coat, this was expensive." Freak Boy said as he stood up. He was dressed up like Neo from the scene where they rescued Morphius in The Matrix. Somedude was wearing a similar outfit.

"What are you guys doing here... and... why are you guys dressed like that?"

"We're here to break you out." Somedude said. "The clothes were Freak Boy's idea."

"Well... I always wanted to wear them and... now seemed like the perfect time." He said as he put on a smile.

"When we get out of here... remind me to kick your ass." Jack said, shaking his head.

**************************************************

"Freak Boy and Somedude got caught... and all their weapons got confiscated. Freak Boy tried to pull off moves from The Matrix, but he tripped and fell flat on Somedude." Darien said as he left the station.

"What does he think this is a bad movie?" Rei asked.

"It’s not like this is one of their cheaply written stories! They can’t perform the impossible, like in The Matrix!!" Serena added.

"Let’s just break the roof off and get them out of jail." Rei said, obviously annoyed at the events of the day.

"Somehow" began Amy, "the five of us busting them out of jail would probably only make things worse."

Rei sighed at the logic of Amy. All she could do now was wait for contact from Jack.

**************************************************

"I thought this day was bad", began Jack. "I nearly got my head blown off, was crushed by a bunch of clones from the Twilight Zone, and then got thrown in jail because Don King didn't realize what the hell was happening. But no, You two have to go and screw everything up!"

"Hey!" shouted back Somedude. "It was Freak Boy's idea to dress us up in that ridiculous outfit, and try and attack the guards!"

Freak Boy said nothing, but simply sighed. The cell the three occupied was silent for five minutes until someone came.

"Smith," began Freak Boy.

"You two," the man said pointing to Freak Boy and Somedude, "are free to go. Since you didn't hurt anyone, we can't convict you."

"Works for me," began Somedude as he stood up. Before he could leave, he was stopped by Jack.

"Wait!"

"What?"

Jack said nothing at first, but gave Somedude a bag full of diamonds. "Don't ask me how I got them. Just give them to Rei, and tell her to hire me a lawyer!"

Somedude nodded in response as he walked out of the cell, only to see Freak Boy confronting Smith.

"I know who you are," began Freak Boy.

Smith just sighed. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Freak Boy looked at Smith confidently, and then hit him square in the face, knocking him out.

"Uh, why did you do that?" asked Jack.

"He's an agent. Soon, he'll possess another body."

"Uh, Freak Boy?"

"What?"

"He's not morphing or anything. You just knocked out the guard that let us go."

"Oh. In that case..."

"Run like hell?" suggested Somedude.

"Good idea."

Jack could only look on as his two would-be messengers ran out of the prison.

"I'm screwed", he muttered to himself.