- Text Size +
Chapter 43

Meanwhile, Darien and Ben had run up to Serena and Rei to tell them the news about Jack.

"Jack's been arrested?!" Ben shouted.

"Yeah," began Darien. "He's been blamed for everything. The mob shootings, the partying, the monster battle, the dark moon’s return, all of it. Didn't try to run either. He made sure all the blame went to him."

"We thought you'd want to know Rei," finished Ben.

Rei stood still as Barbra Walters and Oprah got together.

"And you're supposed to be a super heroine?" commented Oprah. "Dating a criminal?"

"It figures," continued Walters. "Can you defend your heinous taste in men?"

Rei looked at them both furiously, putting her head right in front of the comparatively tiny reporters.

"You have no idea what you're talking about! Jack is innocent! He helped us!" The sheer power in her voice was enough to make Barbra Walters and Oprah shiver while everyone else looked on.

"I can see the headlines," Jon began. "Bitchy Barbara Butchered & Wicked Winfrey Wasted." This was followed by laughter from both Conan and from the canned laughter machine.

"Rei," Amy began. "I say we bail Jack's ass out of jail before he gets hurt by the people who really belong there."

"Fine..." Rei agreed.

"Oh, before we go..." Freak Boy started.

"What is it?" Mina asked, looking down at him as he stood in the palm of her hand.

"Oprah, Ms. Walter, for what it's worth... you're both the biggest bitches I've ever seen. You guys suck."

"That wasn't really necessary Freak Boy."

"Yes it was. No one insults my girlfriend and gets away with it."

"Well... I guess that's kinda sweet."

**************************************************

Meanwhile, back at the police station, Jack was being interrogated.

"Mr. McCoy... on your record I see that you are a decent person. You have a family you support. You pay your taxes, and help your land lady take out her garbage. But... behind this veil of normality, I see the makings of a mass murderer." Agent Smith began.

"Bull-fucking-shit!"

"You have single handedly gunned down, in the last 2 years, Mr. McCoy, 75 criminals. Most of them, without... orders. Now, in Japan, you've made even more of a mess of your record Mr. McCoy. We haven't counted all the smoking bodies or property damage yet, but... if you hand over your growth serum; we will let all this slide and give you a clean slate. Think of it, a new beginning... Mr. McCoy. All you need to do is give us the formula."

"Hmmmm... How about... I give you the finger," Jack said, and he did just that. "And I call my attorney in from San Antonio. Then, I give you nothing, Agent Smith... if that IS your real name."

Agent Smith sighed and left the room. He gave the Japanese government specific orders not to let Jack use any phones. He didn't want Jack escaping The Matrix. As they took Jack away, the last thing he did was grab a nearby paper-clip.