- Text Size +
Chapter 3: An Antidote!

Jack rushed out the doors and towards the resteraunt. He began running figures and advanced calculus along with reverse engineering in his head. He couldn't help but feel a little bit upset with himself for leaving Rei alone with the giant meatball head. He really should feel sorry for her.

"A small moment of silence for Rei... she deserves my respect." Jack said to himself. "But, hey, better her than me." he kept running until he reached the resteraunt. He burst in through the front doors and ran to where Amy was sitting.

"Jack?! What's wrong? You look pale. You look like you've seen a monster." said Amy in a concerned tone that made her sound like a motherly figure. Jack had no time to explain. He grabbed Amy by the arm.

"No time to explain! The whole city is in trouble! Follow me!!"

"What are you talking about Jack?"

He groaned in frustration and began the entire lengthy explination of what's been going on in the last few hours. When he finally finished Amy was too shocked to move.

"Uh, Amy?" Pulling at the girl who had suddenly frozen, Jack realized that there was definitely a problem. "Come on! There's no time to waste!"

Amy simply stood still in disbelief. "Serena's a monster?"

"I don't think it's her fault. She dosen't usually act like that. I think the chemical may have affected her mind somehow. But long story short, I need your help," replied Jack as bluntly as possible.

"Shouldn't we tell someone Jack?" asked Amy nervously. Jack turned and stared at her straight in the eyes. Working outside the law was nothing new to Jack and it shouldn't have been to Amy, but she was always the goody-goody one.

"Oh yeah Amy, lets tell a bunch of people that the biggest air headed ditz in Tokyo has become a giant monster. They'll understand completely. In fact, they'll be so supportive they'll all run around in circles and then call the military in to try, and most likely fail, to blow her to smithereens. Then when she gets angry and goes Godzilla on Tokyo everything will fall nicely together." Jack said sarcastically and annoyed. "Geez... and I thought you were the smart one. Now are you gonna help or not?"

Amy simply looked at Jack with a dour face. She looked like she was about to cry. "I was just, worried. You don't have to be all mean about it."

"Look Amy, I need you right now. We have to try and stop Serena before something really bad happens. If all goes well, we can have her back to normal without an incident."

Amy still looked at Jack with that sad face of hers. While this was, granted, an extreme situation, Jack still didn't like seeing his friend this way.

"Hey, I'm sorry, okay? Tell you what, when this is all over, I'll buy you that dinner I owe you. Okay?"

"Alright." said Amy as she stood up. They both raced out of the resteraunt and about half way to the school Jack stopped in his tracks and grabbed Amy to a hault too.

"Jack, what's wrong with you?! We have to hurry!"

"Houston, we have a problem." was Jack's response. Amy looked at him and quirked a brow. "Look, we aren't gonna be able to get inside the school. Serena will see us entering. She doesn't know I left and if she sees us then I see two possibilities. Scenario One, she kills Rei, you and myself. Scenario Two, she just kills me. Either way I die so I don't really wanna do this."

Amy considered this and didn't think Serena would do that but... she didn't think that Serena would make herself 50 feet tall either. Jack was right, if they were discovered then someone was likely to get hurt or killed.

Jack had thought the situation over for no more than 10 seconds before making a decision. "We should be able to sneak in."

"You sound like you've done this before," responded Amy.

"Tell you what, if we survive this, I'll tell you the whole story."

Unbeknownst to his classmates, including Amy and Rei, (wherever she is), Jack's past was far from a happy one. And while it's true Jack has snuck into buildings before, we can't divulge why just yet(Read the very lengthy series: The Chronicles of Jack McCoy on a site that no longer exists for more details).

It didn't really matter to Amy, because it meant that she didn't have to reveal her secret.

*************************************************************

They had managed to make it inside the science lab without being spotted, as Jack began clearing the shelves and drawers of the equipment and materials he would need.

"Jack, what are you doing?" asked a concered Amy.

"We can't stay here! Grab some stuff, and we can do the work someplace safe."

"I don't know..." said Amy as she looked at Jack.

"What's not to be sure of?!" asked Jack as he grabbed more equipment and documentations of his research. "Rei can handle Serena till we make an antidote!"

"You sure about that?" came an angry voice from behind Jack. Rei grabbed Jack, who was more than a bit surprised, and spun him around. She attempted to hit him but like lightning Jack's hand flew up and blocked Rei's blow with a little more force than nessecary, sending Rei to the ground.

"Sorry, reflex." Said Jack apolagetically as he reached down to help Rei up.

"Where'd you learn that?" asked Amy curiously.

"Well... when you grow up in the Victoria Courts, one must learn to... uhm... defend himself." Jack said taking long pauses. He seemed not to want to reveal too much to them just yet. His past was a painful one and he was counting on ending up dead so he wouldn't end up telling anyone his past. Unfortunately, that won't be the case, as our hero will find out for himself.

"Jack, you can't leave me here. Serena's starting to get suspicious and ask questions. She'll want to see you soon and if you're not here-"

"There goes the neighborhood." Jack finished the sentance for Rei. This was a complicated situation that needed to be handled with great care and sensitivity. But how?

"Rei, if you can keep Serena busy for a few more--"

"Well! I'm not just going to stay here and play decoy all day!" Rei was obviously annoyed, but if you had to put your neck on the line distracting an insane 50 foot bimbo, well, you'd be cranky too.

"Okay, fine," responded Jack. "You can come with us. This just means we need to work a hell of a lot faster."

The three ran quickly towards an empty building where they wouldn't be interrupted, with materials and chemicals in tow. While feeling sorry for Rei, Jack had realized he had taken a huge risk in letting her come with them. If Serena decided to go into the city, he could only hope the millitary or the Sailor Scouts would be able to stop them. (Of course, Jack doesn't know the gigantic Serena is the leader of the scouts!)

Finally, the three went into the building, and quickly got to work. After 3 hours of working Jack and Amy managed to create an antidote that would in theory work. In theory though. It was risky but they didn't have aything to test it on. Or did they?

"No! No way, nah ah. I aint being a guinne pig for my own experiment!" Jack said angrily as he began backing away from Amy and Rei waving his arms to signal NO!

Amy and Rei inched closer each holding the serum.

"Come on Jack, we need to test it on something living and, since you got us into this mess-" Rei began as she inched even closer.

"ME!! I got us into this mess?!! No, Serena got herself and everyone else into this mess, I had nothing to do with it!! Einstein built the Atomic Bomb, does that make Hiroshima his fault?!! No, in fact he specifically told the president not to use the Atom Bomb on the Japanese but they did it anyway! Just like our mishap here, I'm as innocent as Einstein."

"Jack, please test it out?" asked Amy as she put on her cutest prettiest face.

"Yeah, please?" asked Rei as she too put on a cute loving seductive face.

You figure that after mishaps with Mob Spies who seduced him, Afghan Terrorists who pulled the same crap, and other incidents like this ranging from America to the Middle East and even here in Japan, Jack would learn to say no to a pretty girl. Alas, this was not the case.

Rei's eyes were too much for Jack to take. How could he say no to not one, but two pretty girls? And considering he was counting on ending up dead anyway, it was worth a shot.

"Look, I'll test it, but I'll need to take a little bit of the growth serum first. The formula doesn't shrink things, it directly neutralizes the growth formula."

"Why did you do that?" asked Amy.

"Saftey reasons. Lord knows what might have happened if Serena got ahold of a shrinking serum. This will directly counteract the growth serum, restoring Serena to her normal size, and making her sane again."

"In theory," added Rei.

"Now just give me a drop," he ordered, "and see if the antidote works without causing cardiac arrest or anything nasty like that."

Quickly obliging, Amy took a small amount of the growth liquid they analyzed and injected it into him. Not a lot, just enough to make him 6'6, tall enough to play in the NBA.

"Okay, now deliever the antidote."

Amy presented an equal part of the antidote, hoping it would shrink Jack back to normal instead of well, making him explode. To make a long story short, it worked, although Jack has the strange feeling he's a few inches shorter. Now that it worked there was an even bigger problem at hand; How to get Serena to drink the Serum.