- Text Size +
Chapter 30

Vince Finito slammed the phone down angrily. If Dime and Lupino weren't back yet, he could only assume the worst.

"Lupino ain't back yet. He ain't returning my calls."

"Then we must assume the worst," responded Edward Riojas. "If Jack knows we're here, it won't take long for him to run."

"Then we should send someone else after him!"

"No, not yet. I know Jack, and he's going to head for us. He won't let us be the ones to chase him down. He'll want to do the chasing." said Riojas as that sly grin of his crossed his face.

"Ain’t dat dangerous boss? What wit all da guys he killed last time an' all I mean-" Vince was cut off as Riojas's hand gripped his neck.

"Did I ask your opinion maggot?!" he threw Gognitti to the ground. "Tell the Finito's Jack'll be there soon, then get the hell out of there."

"Sure ting boss!" said Gognitti as he ran out of the building catching his breath. Riojas sat down and began thinking of what he'd do with Jack when he got his hands on him... maybe a bath in X would do Jack a world of good.

**************************************************

Meanwhile, the sailor scouts were hiding behind buildings surrounding the Finito's motel. Darien and Jack sat atop of Rei's shoulder looking at the situation before them.

"Ok... 2 guards by all four doors. This'll be easy." said Jack as he surveyed the scene. "We may not even have to do anything."

"Come again?" asked Rei.

"There's one shot left in this sniper. If I can hit the Finitos' with it, we win and we can be out of here," he snaps his fingers. "Like that. Wham, ba'am, thank ya, ma'am."

"Great plan Jack, except for one thing." said Darien.

"What's that?"

"The fat guy running towards the Finito's compound!" quickly responded Darien.

"Gogniti… that fucking bastard." Now Jack was stuck in a brand new dilemma. He could cut for time and try and take out the Finito's before Gogniti could warn them, or he could take out Gogniti and go with the original plan and infiltrate the hotel.

Jack aimed his sniper at the window of the Finito's office and fired his shot away. The two of them fell down like a ton of bricks. Gognitti started running.

"Oh no you don't!" Jack jumped 2 stories and landed on top of the hood of some poor guy’s car. There are now 2 foot shaped dents in the hood. Jack gave chase and Darien followed. The girls did as well, being careful not to step on things.

Jack pulled out an Ingram and shot Gognitti 3 times in each ankle.

"GAAAAAH!" shouted Gognitti as he went down. Jack motioned for the others to stop. He walked up to Gognitti and grabbed him by the collar of his shirt.

"Shakedown time fat-ass, where's Riojas?" asked Jack threateningly.

"Screw you!"

"Bad start Gognitti." Jack conked him HARD on the side of the head with his Ingram. Gognitti started bleeding... a lot.

"AH! Police brutality, police brutality!!"

"I'm pretty big on that if you'll remember Gognitti." Jack punched Gognitti square in the face causing his nose to break and more blood to splatter. "Besides... I'm not a cop anymore."

"By dose! Ya-ya cadt juss hurt 'ee in code 'lud"

"Just keep telling yourself that tough guy. Now, listen and listen good! Where's Riojas hiding?!?"

Gognitti didn't answer. Jack aimed the gun right at Gognitti's head.

"Alright! Alright! I'll talk, just don't hurt me no more. He's at the crappy hotel near the beach. The one called; Sawazaki something... now go ahead. Book me, take me in, haul me to the freakin' jail, just don't hurt me no more..."

”They’ll read you your rights at your funeral.” Jack said as he turned to walk away. As Jack walked back to the girls, their faces ranged from a sense of horror to anger.

"How could you do that to him?" asked Mina.

"It's what they expect," replied Jack. "They'd probably be worse to me."

"That still doesn't give you the right to do that!" added Rei.

"Maybe. But it's what I've done before." As Jack began to ponder his next move, the girls realized just how deep his emotional scars ran. They didn't want to hold his past against him, but were worried about how far he could go.

"We need to worry about our next move," continued Jack. "Riojas may not know we're coming, but that doesn't make him any less dangerous."

"So," asked Lita, "what do you think we should do?"

"We'll watch the hotel before doing anything else. Knowing Riojas, he's got guards at every entrance, elevator, stairway, door and window. To run in there guns blazing would be suicide. We'll need to see his defense plan." suddenly, Gognitti's phone began to ring. Jack looked at it, he picked up the phone.

"Gognitti? It's Eddie."

"Eddie!" said Jack with fake excitement and joy. "Tell me," he said as he returned to an angry tone. "I must have hurt your business REAL bad to make you come down here in person. How much did the plane tickets cost? Knowing you, you bought first class tickets, right?"

"McCoy! You're a dead man!!"

"Sure you're not confusing me with your buddies the Finitos, Dime, Lupino and Gognitti? You're right though. The two of us need to have a little get together, real soon and settle our differences like men. You, me, and a gun."

"You son of a--" at this time Jack hung up Gognitti's cell phone.

"What'd ya do that for?" asked Darien. "If Riojas is as dangerous as he sounds, why'd you piss him off?!"

"People make mistakes when they're mad. He'll still be plenty dangerous though."

"Let me get the odds of this operation straight." began Amy, being the reasonable one. "Chance of victory slim, death a certainty..."

"Yeah. So, what are we waiting for?" asked Jack as he began reloading his gun.

"Let's hit them head on!" shouted Serena enthusiastically. Jack just shook his head.

"No, no, no! Haven't you been listening to a word I've said?!" In response to this, the other girls started giving Serena the traditional 'What is wrong with your brain meatball head?' look. She sat down slowly, knowing that she made a fool of herself.