- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

For my money, both serieses started off well, ran their airdates over the same four years of four seasons, and both went south as we saw less full cast Big Valley stories in Season 3 and 4 and less of the great Wild Wild West Sci-fi plots in Season 3 & 4 of its show too.

I've tried to address at least some of that in this story, though I don't know what to do with Heath.

“You have to listen to us,” said West, “Loveless is a wanted criminal from another world like this one, another earth, just as we told you.”

 

“We know of his disreputable past. He was honest with Mother,” said Nick, “And if we hadn’t seen your sudden appearance, we’d never have believed your story of another earth.”

 

“But how can you defend him? How can you allow your Mother to be taken in by him?” asked Artemus.

 

“Legally speaking, this is not his earth, nor yours. Your jurisdiction ends in President Grant’s world, if we understand the scientific facts correctly,” said Jarrod, “Two years ago I lost my wife Beth within a short time of marrying her. My mother has lost my father. I won’t let her lose someone else too. She’s the happiest I’ve seen her in years.”

 

Artemus thought for a moment and asked Jarrod to tell them what had happened to Beth in detail. Jarrod explained.

 

“What if your wife didn’t have to be lost?” asked Artemus.

 

“Don’t be silly!” said Nick, “You two have played enough games with us.”

 

“Easy Nick,” said Jarrod, too driven by his heart to deny the strangers a chance to explain the cryptic remark.

 

“Jim, tell them about the time travel technique,” said Artemus.

 

James West told the story of the time traveller and explained the technique which had been used.

 

“Why should we believe such nonsense?” asked Nick.

 

“Why not put it to the test?” asked Artemus, “Try the technique under Jim’s tuition. If we’re telling the truth, you’ll go back to just before Beth was killed, but you’ll remember the previous timeline. You’ll know when and where he’ll strike. You can set up a mannequin of Beth on the riverside, and talk to her. You can have the Heath of back then ready to catch the killer firing that fatal shot into the mannequin and make a citizen’s arrest for attempted murder. You and Beth will then be still married to this day, living in the location you had prepared to start your new life in, happy. If we’re wrong, then nothing will happen. You’ll still be in this house, standing over us.”

 

“I guess it’s worth a try,” said Jarrod.

 

Before the eyes of Nick, Artemus and James, Jarrod Barkley sat still on the couch, using none of his intelligence to coordinate body movements, applying all of his brain to the process of time travel. Before their eyes, he vanished from sight.

 

“It worked!” said Nick, “My memory has the immediate recollections of you two explaining this technique, but I also remember that Jarrod and Beth have been living by the river for the last two years. I suppose you’ve finally convinced me that you two can be trusted, which means that Loveless can’t. If you taught me how to do the time travel too, you’ll be here without us to stop you from apprehending him. You probably won’t even be tied up. Just promise me that you’ll be gentle with my sister and mother when you apprehend Loveless and take him back to your world.”

 

“You have our word,” said James West, “But what event in your past do you want to change?”