- Text Size +

“Bring my wife food and don’t try anything funny with it.  Sarah and I will know,” Ben demanded the disembodied voices that poured out from the speakers.  To us the military resembled generic looking men and women for all we cared.  I couldn’t wait to get my hand around the leader of this operation.  I didn’t have ill will towards all the soldiers that were just following orders, just the bastards in charge.  Ben and I alone could crush them but they had us in a position that is bad for the children.

“Mr. Harrison, we will bring your wife whatever she needs if you and Mrs. Peterson submit to a mouth swab and blood test,” the disembodied voice tells us.  Ben frowns up at me from his place on the floor; his hand still protectively covering Judith.  I nod at him.

“We can’t let her starve,” I whisper to him and Ben returns my nod.

“We’ll do it, only if you bring Mrs. Harrison food first,” I said for Ben.

“Alright but you must submit to our wishes shortly after,” the sinister disembodied voice tells me.

Ben woke Judith up the minute the robot came with the food.  Ben and I have noticed our senses much like the rest of us is ten times that of a normal man.  Ben flicked his fingers at the tray and it hit the robot when he smelled the sedative in the food.  It was not enough to kill Judith but it was enough to knock her out for a while.

“I told you no funny business,” Ben raises his voice towards the speaker.  “You’re lucky I don’t crush your little wind-up toy.  How many millions of taxpayer dollars did that cost?  Some of that is mine and Sarah’s money you know.  Clean food for my wife or no sample.”

The sinister disembodied voice laughs.  “Why Mr. Harrison you are not bluffing!  It’s not just your size that has gotten bigger, so has your attitude.  Need I remind you that we still have your son?  Another tray is on the way and some toiletries.”

Shortly after the robot left the room, a young soldier came into our lion’s den.  He was built like a tank but coming face to feet with giants had the young handsome guy shaking.  I figured they sent a soldier instead of a robot so that Ben wouldn’t take his temper out on a human being like he did the mechanical servant.   Ben smiled down at the man when he realized this tray was clean.

“Thank you sir,” Ben tells the guy.  The soldier nods as he places the tray on a table and quickly takes leave of the room.  Ben carefully places his hand on the floor.  Judith learned to adapt to her husband’s new size as quickly as Ben learned how to be gentle with her.  Judith pats Ben’s hand before jumping off.

“It is safe sweetheart,” he tells her in a gentle voice.  “I am not going to let them hurt you.  I don’t know what they have to gain by drugging your food?  It’s not like Sarah and I can’t hurt them back.”

“You are so good to me Ben.  Room service and five star dining.  I am such a lucky girl,” Judith said with a wink.

“Anything for you Judy,” Ben said as he pulled out the chair next to the table.

“The sleeping accommodations are by far the best in the world,” Judith said as she grabbed Ben’s index finger and hugged it.  Despite the joking around, both Ben and Judith knew that their situation was serious.  “Aren’t you and Sarah hungry too?  I don’t feel right eating in front of you two.”

“I’m not hungry anymore.  I’m not even thirsty.  My body doesn’t require food or water anymore.  It’s weird.  Sarah is the same way too,” Ben tells his wife as he strokes her back with his massive fingertips.  The realization hit me that we are now the biggest land mammals on the planet.  We are bigger than some species of whale.  Those military people have a lot to be afraid about.

“That means more for me then,” Judith said as she took her seat.  She jumped when the door opened again.  This time instead of a soldier, it was another robot.  This one was equipped with massive syringes and two poles with clothes wrapped around the ends.

“We held up our end of the bargain and now you must hold up yours,” the disembodied voice announced.

“Ben, what’s this all about?” Judith asked.

“The robot will take a sample.  Just lay your arms on the floor.  The bot will do the rest.   I then need you to swab the inside of your mouth,” the voice instructed.

“Ben, you didn’t answer me,” Judith said.

“I had to do this so that you can eat honey,” Ben said as he lays his arm down next to the bot.

“No!  They are not getting your DNA!  I’ll starve first,” Judith cried out as she stood up.  The mechanism of the bot was readying the syringe.   Judith stormed over.  Ben grabbed her before the needle was ready to come down on her.

“Dammit Judy,” Ben scolded his wife.  The bot didn’t get one drop of blood and the large needle stuck into the floor.  “Are you trying to get yourself killed?”

“No!  No DNA for those bastards!  Lord knows what they have planned!  Not from you or Sarah,” Judith cried out.  Tears rolled down her cheek.  “You guys are too special.”

“Judy,” Ben said quietly as he cradled his wife in his hand.  “You need to eat.  This is the only way.”  Ben stroked her gently with his fingertips.

“No, it’s not.  Not your DNA Ben.  We need to get out of here,” Judith cried.

“She’s right Ben,” I said as I put my hand on his strong shoulder.  Whatever those aliens turned us into, it was definitely an improvement.  I watched Ben change daily before this point.  He was becoming more and more attractive by the day but I always knew Ben’s heart belonged to someone else.  Judith looked up at me.  Hurt filled her gaze.  She could never hold her husband ever again.  Something as mundane as touching his shoulder was never going to happen for her.  “We need to get out of here,” I whispered.

“Find Ryan but then what?  Where will we go?  We can’t quite go to the nearest town,” Ben frowned.

“We got to at least try honey.  I bet the others want out too.  This is no life… not even for an… average person,” Judith said as she patted Ben’s hand.  Just then, a wall began to crumble.  Our dorm happened to be next to Liz and Aaron’s.  I smiled when I saw the shaggy hair and smirk.

“See Liz!  I told you we weren’t the only ones.  Mrs. P and Mr. H are massive too,” the teen said with an enthusiastic shrug.