- Text Size +

While Valerie Bradson was drinking her “breakfast”, Lorraine Pruess, another one of the giants, who though of herself as a very classy woman, was already on her way to Tectelphia for a nice stroll in the city.

If things went her way, she'd go into the city at night, when things were really fascinating. The buildings were illuminated like stars and the whole place felt alive. It would never be like New York City (which she had been to twice), but it had it's own charms that she loved. All cities did. Unfortunately, Jennifer Stark, the Giant Relations Person (who wasn't very nice, in Ms. Pruess' humble opinion) said that going into city late at night was a no-no, so Lorraine never got to enjoy it. It was just silly, really. How did Jennifer expect to bridge the gap between tiny and tall if all she was going to do was place restrictions on the two of them so that they never met! It just seemed counter productive, but whatever.

Lorraine, her large tan purse in hand, was walking near the highway, a little closer than Ms. Stark would have liked. She was wearing her high heels, and the ground near the pavement of the road was a little more suited for her shoes. The fields were sometimes muddy and got grass all over them. The cars below all came to a screeching halt as the giant woman thundered past them, her footfalls shaking the vehicles and their occupants like cans of spray paint. Lorraine didn't really pay the commotion below any mind. She typically never did. Jennifer always raved about how dangerous she was to the smaller people, and Lorraine understood her concerns, naturally, but, she had never hurt anybody during all her years. Sure, there were some accidents caused along the way (no one was perfect) but no one had been injured. Lorraine had a good feeling that before she decided to make herself the Giant Relations Person, Jennifer Stark had caused her share of accidents with the small people as well. What gave her the right to get on people's case about it was anybody's guess.

She approached the tall city buildings. That was another nice thing about Tectelphia, and other cities in general. For once there were structures that were your size (though she could never fit inside them in a million years) or at least matched your height. It made going to the city all that more fun. The only thing that was a little annoying was the care that she had to use to navigate the labyrinth of skyscrapers. At the same time, however, it was good to keep such a beautiful and humble city like Tectelphia intact. That, and the little normal folks probably would be a little sour if they're city was slightly wrecked.

Lorraine walked around the edge of the city until she saw one of the the closed roads. These were routs of the giant people and the almighty Ms. Stark decreed that people of massive size shall only walk down these roads. You had to step over traffic, but it was nothing to worry about. There were occasionally normal sized people on the sidewalks, but they usually got out of the way, running inside. Ms. Pruess aligned herself with the road and began to walk straight down it.



The Tectelphia News Station was preparing to broadcast the morning news, and the crew was buzzing around like bees. The show began in about twenty minutes, and, like before every showtime, it seemed things weren't going to get done in time. Assistants were literally running back and forth, people were yelling at each other, and everyone seemed on edge. Just another day at the office, as the old saying went.

The Head Anchor was a young fellow with the catchy name, Jake Blake. He had been giving Tectelphia's news for years and the city had watched him go from a simple field reporter all, sitting sometimes near the danger, sometimes around the community events, and occasionally just interviewing somebody, to being the big man behind the desk. It had been a long struggle, with a few other competitors going for it, but, in the end, luck favored him, and he got the seat. He had been the Head for about three years now, and that was great.

It was difficult being a field reporter in Tectelphia, especially when there were giants living nearby. The closed roads made it difficult to get to the right location, slowing things down, and, worse, sometimes the giants WERE the news. In which case, it was required that you go out and get coverage of them as they walked down the streets, bigger than life and most everything else in the city. Jake had never really enjoyed the danger of being put in the path of the footsteps of a giant person. Especially the blonde one who was always wrecking things.

“Hey, Blake!” Lyle, an assistant working for Jake, called. “You're on in ten minutes!”

Jake merely raised a hand to show that he had understood. He didn't need to think about the giants, for he was pretty sure that they were not showing up on the news, today. Usually, if there was any mention of a giant person, it was that Giant Relations Person, Jennifer Stark or Starlet, Jake never could remember. He sat behind the Anchor desk and muttered a few tongue twisters as an exercise. He never enjoyed getting tongue tied and screwing up his speech during showtime and he had found that repeating “she sells sea shell down by the sea shore” was a good way to prevent that from...

His thoughts were interrupted when he felt a slight tremor ripple through his chair and into his body. He froze.

Another one followed. This one slightly stronger. Then another, and another. Each one quaking the building a little more with every tremor. People began to stagger and assistants tried to hold onto the camera equipment to avoid them tipping over. Jake held onto his desk to avoid his chair rolling him across the room. His first random thought told him that an earthquake was occurring, but he knew better. They all did.

Jake Blake, Tectelphia's Head Anchor, turned his head to the big window to the left of the studio stage.

A massive brown eye stared back at him and he shivered.



Lorraine Pruess leaned forward, peering into the Tectelphia News Station, curious if she could catch a glimpse of the News going live or see Jake Blake, the news guy on TV. To her delight, the man himself was seated right before her line of vision through the window. She offered him a friendly smile and wave. Jake Blake offered a weak return wave, but Lorraine was pleased all the same, brightening at the recognition.

The giant blonde began to straighten to head on her way when she noticed some of the large satellite dishes on the top of the roof. Curious (and perhaps a bit playful) she raised up a finger to touch one. She had no idea what the gadgets did, but they looked so bizarre and almost futuristic somehow, making them quite impressive. Her finger touched the metallic surface and she began to turn it a little (noticing that it could in fact turn) when a loud snap sounded, causing her to jump a little, instinctively removing her finger from the device. The moment that she did, the large satellite dish disconnected from its base, bounced off the roof, and plummeted to the ground with a smash. Lorraine's hand immediately went to her chest in surprise and stepped away, her purse lightly tapping the building behind her, breaking several windows and sending a few bricks raining down below.

“Whoops,” She uttered to herself, looking down at the satellite between her feet.

She bent down, her knees folding a street lamp in half, and picked up the dish. Standing back up, she tried to put the device back on the ceiling of the news station. For a good five minutes, she struggled to put the dish on the base, twisting it, pushing it, and whatever else she thought. The satellite merely ended up more wrecked and broken in her working fingers and the base was ruined from her attempts. Eventually, she accidentally dropped the device again, where it shattered completely on the ground below. Seeing this, she quickly walked away, whistling innocently, using her blonde locks to cover her blush.


“What the hell happened?” Jake Blake called out.

“The power went out!” Lyle, the assistant, called.

Jake sighed and pinched his sinus in annoyance.

“I can see that, Lyle,” He replied. “What happened?”

“I'm not really, sure,” Lyle replied. “But one of the camera guys says that he thought he saw the big satellite dish fall off the roof past a window he was looking out. I guess that giant blonde lady snapped it off.”

Jake Blake sighed again. Naturally. It was ALWAYS the blonde woman.

“Is somebody working on it?” He called, feeling the giants quaking footsteps fade away.

“Uh....no,” Lyle replied. “I just looked out the window. The satellite dish is down on the street. It's really smashed. I mean REALLY smashed. You should actually come see it, Jake. It looks kind of unreal.”

“God damn it!” The Studio Director barked, coming out of the sound room. “Somebody get me a phone. I need to call some contractors to get the damn roof fixed. Also, somebody, you!” He pointed at Lyle. “You're an assistant, right?”

“Yes, sir,” Lyle replied, wisely.

“Find me Jennifer Stark's number,” The Director instructed. “Need to...need to call her too, I guess. Uh...why don't you call her, boy? Now that I think about it, I'll be busy with the contractors and such...”

The Director was suddenly nervous and uneasy.

“But...I think she would want to talk to you, sir,” Lyle said. “I mean...you ARE the one in charge, and all that.”

“.....yes, yes, I...I suppose, you're right.” The Director replied, sighing, rubbing his neck. “Just, just get me her number okay? Just...go.”

Lyle and the Director left to do their business. Jake Blake sat behind the desk in the dark for a little bit.

“Wait, what am I supposed to do?” He asked aloud to anyone listening.

Nobody replied to him...



Lorraine stepped over an intersection of traffic, the cars below stopping, waiting for her to pass. The pedestrians either ran for cover in one of the buildings or froze at the sight of such a large person walking by. Either way, the blonde giant didn't really seem to pay them any attention, merely taking in the sights with a smile on her lips.

As she was going along, she happened by a tall skyscraper. Her reflection shone in the tinted windows and she stopped, glancing at herself. She was about to continue, approving her looks, when she noticed that she had forgotten to apply her lipstick this morning. She stood in front of the 'mirror' and reached into her purse and found her lip stick. She opened it and raised it to her lips.



The meeting in the office building met an sudden interruption when a giant strayed in front of their window. For a few moments, a pair of boulder sized eyes peered in. They showed no recognition of them, so apparently the giant couldn't see through the tinted windows outside. All the occupants of the meeting room froze as the blinking wonders took up their entire window

Then, after a few moments, they disappeared, then briefly reappeared, then were gone again. They were replaced by a massive nose, a large whoosh of air rattling the windows, and then a mouth came into view. It was still for only a moment and then it opened, revealing the cavern that lie within. A large exhale from the giant was heard and the windows immediately fogged a little. A smell of peppermint flowed into the room, as well...



Lorraine smiled at herself when her making up was done, and she replaced the container back into her purse. She gave herself another once over and then carried on, accidentally stepping on an old abandoned mailbox that had been left on the giant people's path. It flattened immediately and got stuck to her sole. She didn't notice it until about two blocks down. She scraped it over with her finger nail and deposited it in a dumpster and then headed further into downtown, humming to herself.