- Text Size +

Charles Anders, the blind musician, was on his way back to the Tectelphia Park, where he had been playing his old violin all morning. He had managed to make some money, and, after asking somebody, learned that it was about twenty five dollars. So, poking around the city with his bow, he wandered around, sniffing for a restaurant. He knew he wouldn't be able to buy much, but anything was better than nothing. Fortunately, only a few blocks away from the park, he happened upon a hotdog stand, and was able to purchase two hotdogs and a soda. It was a very good lunch, all things considering. As he had eaten it, he felt the ground tremble again. Some of the giants had passed by, almost causing him to drop some of his food. Not that it would have mattered. Food was still food, and he had spent good money on it, and a little dirt from the sidewalks wasn't going to stop him.

After lunch, he tapped his bow around, making his way back to the park. While on his way, he heard some people running down the street, blazing past him. Must be because of the giants again. People always got freaked out when they were around. Charles didn't real mind them, though. For giant people, they were pretty good at not reducing Tectelphia to rubble, and that had to be quite difficult to pull off. It did speak to their character, though. For giant people, they were awful considerate to put so much effort into not destroying things. But, nevertheless, a lot of the other people still ran away from them as if they were monsters.

Eventually, his bow found the iron gates of the park. Poking a little more, he made his way through the gates and his bare feet touched the soft grass. He continued through, hoping to find a tree that would give him shade. It was a little warm out today, and he was going to be out here for awhile, so he'd need a nice cool place to sit.

Not just a couple of seconds after this thought, he felt the sun's rays being cut off from him and a cool breeze blew across him. He felt around for the tree trunk, but, strangely, he had a hard time finding it. Instead, his hands found something sort of soft and warm. He poked at whatever it was with his bow, trying to figure out what it was. He knew he was at the park, he could smell the little lake that was in the center. What was....oh, whatever. It was probably nothing.

He sat down and leaned against the mysterious thing, enjoying it's warmth and soft feel. Then, he raised his violin and bow to his chin. He heard sounds nearby, like someone walking nearby him...

“Hello, ladies and gentlemen!” He called. “I'm Charles Anders, and I would like to play the violin for all of you! Does anybody out there have any requests?”

A moment of silence followed. Charles began to wander if anyone was here. There had been a small crowd before lunch, but a giant had passed by just a few moments ago, maybe causing some of them to flee for their homes. He was about to sigh at not being able to have an audience to play for, when...

“Uh...I don't know many violin songs...” A man's voice. “But, I guess...do you know “The Devil Came Down to Georgia? That's a violin song, right?”

Charles Anders brightened immediately.

“Well, sure, sir,” He said, looking towards the man's voice. “I don't know the words, but I know the melody. Alright! So, The Devil Came Down to Georgia, as requested by...”

“Bradson, Raymond Bradson,” The man replied. Charles heard a grin in his voice and that made him smile.

Eagerly he began to play. He went through the entire song, flawlessly. He was able to mimic the Devil's playing piece by piece, missing only the band of demons. Then, he played the little boy's response, without missing a beat. He got really into it (you had to playing this song), getting up to his feet. When the whole thing was done, he bowed. He wasn't sure if he was even facing the man, but, that didn't stop him. He heard the man applaud.

Then, there was a loud noise that shook his body. It was very similar to the man's clapping...only...louder...

“Whooo!” The Bradson man exclaimed. “That was pretty fine! Wasn't it, Val?”

“It sure was.”

The voice that replied was a woman's. It was soft, but a slight boom accompanied it. There was then the sound of movement. Along with that, the ground trembled...

“Yeah, that was really great.”

Another voice, this one male. Like the woman's it was loud. A sensation began to come across Charles' skin. He became aware of a sense of heat, that of a presence, on him. Only, it was larger, much larger than it usually was. A steady whooshing and fwooshing of air sounded above him. He began to wander about that soft wall that he had encountered. He knew the giants, of course but...

“Thank you!” He called, graciously. A bit of nervousness in his voice. “I'm glad everyone enjoyed it!”

“Thank you for playing for us,” The woman's voice. “Most don't for people like me and Trent here.”

“Nope, not at all.” The other loud voice. This one was clearly younger than the woman, but the tone of his voice was as loud as hers. “Thank you, very much, sir.”

“Well, sir...uh, Bradson,” Charles said. “Is there another song you would like for me to play?”

“Uh...well, sure I suppose but...” He stopped. “I'm over here, bud.”

“Oh, yes,” Anders laughed, turning towards the man's voice. “Sorry about that! Happens all the time, unfortunately. You see, I'm blind, sir. I can't see at all! Doesn't keep me from playing the violin, fortunately.”

There was a moment's pause.

“I'm sorry...you're blind, you said?” The man asked.

“Yes, sir.” Charles answered. “It's alright though. I get by just well on my own. No need to worry about me.”

“Oh, I'm...I'm sure you do,” The man continued. “It's just...well, there are some different people in your audience right now...”

“Oh?” Charles asked. He already knew as much. “Am I in the presence of some of the giants?”

“Yes...” The giant woman replied shyly. “I...I hope you're not afraid of us. I really did like hearing you play.”

“It's okay.” Anders replied.

But, honestly, he was a little intimidated. Though he was blind, he understood the concept of giant people. He couldn't see them, and he had no idea just how big they were. Somehow, that felt a bit more frightening than actually being able to behold them. Like most people in Tectelphia, he had no personal experience with the giant people. He knew them and he was cautious to not wind up under one of their shoes, but he had never dreamed of actually sitting down and engaging in a conversation with one of them. However, despite the nervousness, he was fascinated by this opportunity. Most people were a little awkward around him, showing constant sympathy that he was blind. Now, he was in the presence of the giants, whose lives were a bit more difficult than having to wander around blind.

“So...do you still want to play for us?” The woman asked.

“Sure!” The blind man replied. “Do you have any requests, Ms....?”

“Valerie.” The woman replied kindly. “Valerie Bradson.”

“Are you two related?” Charles asked, curious, looking back towards the man.

“Oh, sort of.” Valerie Bradson said. “He's just my husband.”

“Aw...no honorable mention?” Raymond said, acting to be sad.

“Oh, you know I love you, you goof.” Valerie replied, giggling.

“Are a lot of giants married?” Anders asked, his curiosity growing.

“Well...no, not really,” Valerie Bradson replied.

“You're the only married couple I know,” The other giant said. “Oh, I'm Trent Berlinger, by the way.”

“Nice to meet you!” The violinist said. “I'm Charles Anders.”

“Oh!” Valerie said. “Do you know the song, “Birdhouse in your Soul?”

“Sure do!” Anders replied. “It's a great song! Is that what you want me to play?”

“Yes, absolutely!” Valerie Bradson said, delightfully.

With that, Charles began to play. He knew the words to this one and actually began to sing as he went. A quarter through, Mrs. Bradson joined him, followed by Raymond, and then, finally, nervously, Trent Berlinger. Charles was surprised by Valerie's singing voice. Raymond was off-key and not much of a singer, Trent was on key, but also not vocally pleasant, though better than Mr. Bradson. Valerie, however, had the voice of an angel and Charles loved singing with her.

As the small group of them sang, the giant voices of Trent and Valerie echoed across the city. Many people passing-by stopped and peeked in to see what was going on. They saw two of the giants singing, that blind violinist playing to them. All of them seemed to be enjoying themselves, and the citizens of Tectelphia paused at this. They had never seen one of the giants sing, let along engage with a normal sized person in such a way. They almost seemed...normal, as their voices rang for all to hear. Some of those who had fled the park when the giants first arrived, now slowly and cautiously made their way back, trying to gauge if it was safe. A few of those who weren't afraid of the giants, actually joined in on the song (or at least those who were familiar with it).

For once, giant and normal person were together in a moment of peace and comfort.

Up from above, Garth Brokers observed this. He recorded some of it and then, when he felt as if he had enough, he flew out of the city.